What doesn't count??

Options

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Oh, and casseroles that my husband makes.

You are too kind, at least we try occasionally :)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Anything consumed on a weekend or holiday or vacation or day I just don't feel like logging.
    totally agree and more important wanted to commend you on your awesome weight tracker!!!!! GO RAVENS!!!!! :laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I don't count black coffee or tea. Or whipped cream, but this is more to do with the fact that whipped cream is made from love and unicorn farts, and is therefore zero calorie.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    costco samples.. man that can get me.. after shopping, I think, how much did I actually eat? Last week, a guy kept giving me cookies to try. I kept throwing them away but he didn't seem to care. I know it's just a bite, but 7-10 bite size samples can really add up!

I actually looked up costco samples after a little sampling this past weekend and found out that our MFP database has a few options for logging "Costco Grazing!"
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Anything that im to lazy to log O.O... .. I know.. I know.. facepalm ^-^
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I log everything except water. I used to log that too, but now I just try to always have a glass of water going. This thread did remind me that I need to add a dash of pepper to my food log. When I started this I decided I would log everything for 6 weeks, and see where that puts me on the scale and with fitting in my clothes. This Sunday will be 6 weeks. I am still in the same size clothes, and I really haven't lost a ton. But I am still adjusting and figuring out where my calories should be (I've increased after reading I don't know how many threads). I am also trying to do more exercise, and going to give myself another 6 weeks of logging everything and exercising to see if that makes a difference. I hope it does, because although I knew that I wouldn't lose everything in a month, I was hoping to see some kind of change in my face or waist line.
    I am not as good about logging exercise. I am only logging the stuff I am doing now that I didn't do regularly before (not that I did any structured regular exercise before I began).
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If I take a small bite of something, I don't count it.
    Also, if we go out to dinner I have been not to log the bread before the meal, but that's just to make me feel better about myself, LOL!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Everything counts to me :)
  • ginnycarroll77
    ginnycarroll77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Keep a food journal. Writing down what you eat (yes, ever single bite) is the best way to increase awareness of how many calories you're consuming. It's easy to think, "It's just a cookie and I just exercised," but mindless eating is a major contributor to excess calorie consumption
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I only don't log spices, supplements, and tea with nothing in it.

CRAP I forgot to log the dark chocolate almond bark sample at Trader Joe's yesterday! DARN YOU SAMPLE GUY!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't log Crystal Light. I know. I know. You don't have to tell me...
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I log everything except for water, salt and pepper.

If I get sloppy logging stuff, I'll get sloppy about keeping to the allotted calories - I know I'd 'forget' to log something sooner or later, and then I'd lose momentum.

Got to be honest, or there's no point being here. It's not a fantasy dieting league.

Pepper and/or other spices I can understand but how can you be strict about logging everything and not include salt? FOr me sodium is right behind calories in what I watch. Not flaming, just curious as to your thinking.

I only add sea salt occasionally to meals, when I do, the amount I use - about 5-6 individual flakes - is too small for my electronic scale to register (it goes to 1g increments). I only add salt right at serving, which means I use far less.

The rest of the time, I have a fairly good idea if I've had a little or a lot in a day - if it's a day involving Japanese food, I know it's going to be high, if I have processed foods, it's going to be higher. If it's a mostly vegetable and lean meat/fish day, it's low.

And, were I to have fries, I know the sodium intake would be sky high, as they require vast amounts of salt - I'm only human, after all! - but I am saving that menu item for a dire emergency that only fried potatoes and salt can solve.

Perhaps, thinking about it, you could be right. Perhaps I should start logging it, if only to see whether it's as insignificant as I thought.

You've certainly given me something to think about there. Thanks.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I use K cups for my coffee most of the time, and I don't always log the ones I know have 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 prot, 0 carbs. One of them has 2 calories and I do log it. When I get a store version of the coffee, i.e, Dunkin Donuts, I make sure to log it because there are more calories in them. I do log the 2 oz of almond milk I use in my coffee, all 8 calories of it.

If I drink a flavored water that has any calories and/or sodium, I log it and stick it on the water glass at the bottom, most of them don't, so just the water glass.

All food gets logged. I pop two or three Tic Tacs when I get to work, after having had coffee on the way in, but have never logged those. That would be about 6 calories three times a week.
  • littlebre33
    littlebre33 Posts: 318
    Options
    I try my best at logging...I may miss a few tiny bites here and there and yes, they can add up. To be quite honest I don't feel guilty missing afew things here and there as long as I am eating healthy and exercising. I don't want to have to calorie count my whole life. I'm hoping to lose weight with this method and learn portion control! That's my take
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't log diet/zero calorie drinks. I do log coffee for some reason (it adds to my potassium I guess?)

I think it's important to be honest with yourself, but if I take a small bite of something someone else is eating - which I do less often than once a day - I don't bother. If I was trying to lose weight and it wasn't going as well as I expected, I would log every single thing to see where I'm going wrong.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't log diet sweetener packets. Or diet soda or Crystal Light.
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Really everything should count but I typically do not log anything 10 calories or less (i.e my daily vitamins).
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options

I only add sea salt occasionally to meals, when I do, the amount I use - about 5-6 individual flakes - is too small for my electronic scale to register (it goes to 1g increments). I only add salt right at serving, which means I use far less.

The rest of the time, I have a fairly good idea if I've had a little or a lot in a day - if it's a day involving Japanese food, I know it's going to be high, if I have processed foods, it's going to be higher. If it's a mostly vegetable and lean meat/fish day, it's low.

And, were I to have fries, I know the sodium intake would be sky high, as they require vast amounts of salt - I'm only human, after all! - but I am saving that menu item for a dire emergency that only fried potatoes and salt can solve.

Perhaps, thinking about it, you could be right. Perhaps I should start logging it, if only to see whether it's as insignificant as I thought.

You've certainly given me something to think about there. Thanks.

I just added salt to my logging and it's definitely an eye opener. I looked back at previous weeks and I've just shot that row into the red quite often. I was appalled to discover my Jimmy Johns pickle had 2314 grams of salt and MFP gives me 2500. I think I ended up drinking extra water as I read that. For me, it was surprising to see sodium pop up in things I didn't really think had it, or had much.

Still in the red a lot, but working on it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    everything but supplements
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Nothing? I log every sip and bite.