Exercise for beginners

Options
2»

Replies

• Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Zumba is good. You can also pick up some DVDs. Your library might even have some.
  • mammacoty
    mammacoty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm on a medical restriction for heavy exercising, due to pelvic wall issues. I'm doing walks and yoga/stretching to get calorie burns each day, and to help strengthen my core. I have just begun incorporating wall pushups, and other arm strengthening exercises like lifting light weights. Remember, any movement is better than eating on the couch!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Kettlenetics is a great one to start cuz it will build a little strength and help tone and it also combines the lightweight kettlebell with aerobic type excercise. And the DVD comes with the starter kettlebell so its a really good deal and when you get stronger you can always get a heavier kettlebell to build more strength. Otherwise a really fun one to do is the Billy Blanks Jr Cardio Dance Party bootcamp. They aren't that hard to catch onto like some of the other dance workouts because he clearly explains everything and goes over it several times till you get it really well. And he's very upbeat energetic personality and funny also. That one is just really fun. Or simple things that are good just jump roping or hula hoop, doesn't take alot of time but gets in some excercise. The key is just find one that you like cuz once you like it then its easier to stick with. I think Kettlenetics is a great one though cuz it gives you the little bit of added strength and it gives you some aerobic too.
  • workinprogress37
    workinprogress37 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've had trouble with exercise in the past too. Then I found a book called "Never Say Diet" by Chantel Hobbs. It has been inspirational and sensible. For the first 30 days she says to cardio for 30 minutes 5 days a week. More is added later on. You can do whatever cardio you want. This program has really worked for me and I highly recommend it. As far as sticking to it, you have to find the desire within you to really change and lose this weight. One thing that I had to accept was that I need to eat right (most of the time) and exercise regularly for the rest of my life to lose the weight and keep it off. That sounds obvious, but I had to be told that.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    WALK!

For a few weeks.

Then try videos and such.

But walk first - it will get you fitter without having to push too hard,
    and then, when you're ready, look for something more intense.

Try out different things until you find something that works for you,
    do that for a while, and then move on to something else.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to always go to the gym and just go on the treadmill and thats it.

This time, I joined a new gym and spent the money on a personal trainer for 6 weeks. I couldn't afford more, lol. But she really helped show me a routine that incorporated weights and strength, which I never thought was important but now I know!! She showed me how to do everything safely, and how many reps and how heavy to go, etc..

I also started going to classes because I never did before. I discovered that I am IN LOVE with Spinning class. I go 3x a week!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is good.

I tried working out before and failed miserably.. frustrated with the lack of results. 30DS gave me the self confidence to keep going, it gave me results for only working out 20 minutes a day.. All I had to do was eat right, drink water and stay committed.

As someone who usually would give in at 2 weeks in the past, I highly recommend it.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi. Try performing exercises that incorporate the 7 primal movements: pull, push, lunge, squat, gait, twist, and bend. You'll be especially fit by becoming proficient in these movements.

A few obvious examples are pull-ups, push-ups, walking lunges, air squats, walking/running/sprinting, wide-stance alternating toe touches. You can spend a lot of time getting good at these basic exercises.

At some point, you may want to incorporate barbell exercises, like deadlifts, squats, bench press, and overhead press.

You could sit on Youtube all day long watching videos of this stuff.

This is basically what I do in addition to jumping jacks, running, walking and/or biking. I can really tell my muscles are being more defined and I am losing inches. What I am doing now is better than what they made us do in the military! What I like about this is I can do it when I feel like it, where ever I feel like. It doesn't take a lot of time if I do not want to do it all in one setting. I have some small hand weights that I do a few exercises for my arms such as flys, curls, and french curls.