Anyone try the military diet?....

Options
124»

Replies

• UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My little brother does it and actually really likes it. He had lost some weight but probably not as much as he could lose because on the 4th day he is eating gallons of ice cream, cheesecake, etc.
  • lalaglo30
    lalaglo30 Posts: 33
    Options
    It's open? It may just be open to friends not sure I will check. However...I eat high protein, whole grain, low carb, lots of veggies etc.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It's open? It may just be open to friends not sure I will check. However...I eat high protein, whole grain, low carb, lots of veggies etc.
    and if you aren't eating enough, it won't matter.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    40 lbs. in a month?!! :noway: That's just crazy! :angry: :mad: :explode: Talk to your Doctor 1st, he'll set ya straight, jus sayin...
  • Megz757
    Megz757 Posts: 1
    Options
    I tried it and didn't last the first day. I went home and binged on french fries..My coworker has done it 3 times already and she likes it. I have alot of weight to lose, so I was starving myself..And, i'm not into gaining all the weight back.You really won't eat like that diet everyday, so unless you are looking to lose weight real fast for something specific like a wedding or a work weigh-in, it won't stick with you for the long run. I'm on Weight Watchers and love it. I lose weight slow but am learning an entire new way to eat and change my lifestyle for the long run. Good luck on that! ;-)
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Is that the diet where you dont get breakfast due to budget cuts?

:laugh:
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    whoever loses 40lbs in a month is in for a nightmare with their metrate
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    We're on a roll here today with the fad diet threads.

This is basically an anorexic diet.

Rule of thumb. If something is called "The [Something] Diet" and boasts "Lose up to [x] lbs in [y] days", it's not even worth your time or bandwidth to click on the link.

Yea what he said :drinker:
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    You lost me at the word "diet". Diets don't work. The only thing that works is making permanent life changes.

I did the real military diet from 1998-2007. I went in at 130lbs and came out 9 years later 225lbs with a 22% BFP. Yeah, some "diet".

I'm going back to the Basic Training "diet".
    The Drill Sergeants wouldn't let us eat anything sweet.
    We could have any beverage we want as long as it was water.
    We walked everywhere.
    When we walked, we did it with a quickness.
    Hell, when we did anything, we did it with a quickness.
    When we weren't walking, we were running.
    We went to bed at the same time and woke up at the same time.
    When we did something wrong, we exercised as punishment.
    When we did something right, we exercised as reward.

I went into Basic Training at 130lbs and came out 165lbs of pure muscle, could run like the wind, and could do push-ups & sit-ups for days.. I miss those days. I will have them again.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    My friend said she wanted to try this diet a few days ago and I laughed in my head.

Seriously, eating a healthy amount of calories and exercising will get you to your goal.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    40 lbs. in a month?!! :noway: That's just crazy! :angry: :mad: :explode: Talk to your Doctor 1st, he'll set ya straight, jus sayin...

Not necessarily. My doc wanted me to do the scarsdale diet. I told her NO!! That is too restrictive and at my age I don't need to be losing what little muslce I have left. at the time I was doing Turbo fire. She told me those high intensity work outs don't work because NO ONE can maintain that level of exercise. Not all docs are in the know.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    In regards to everyone recommending to eat healthy count calories and work out...I'm doing that...I am having a tough time shedding the pounds.

Serious question...are you really having a hard time shedding weight, or is it just too slow for what you perceive to be good weight loss? I ask because a lot of people have some serious misconceptions of how much weight they should be losing and how fast. When it's all said and done, I will have lost 40ish Lbs and it will have taken me 9-12 months to do so at an average rate of 3.5-4 Lbs per month (nice, safe, healthy, and consistent weight loss).

Your ticker says you've lost 6 Lbs...how long did that take you? Personally, any loss is good...anything from 2-4 Lbs per month is outstanding. Anything beyond 4 Lbs per month is probably not sustainable long term unless you are very obese.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I came across a pin on Pinterest for the military diet. Read the plan and it's really easy to follow. 3 days on (eating their food plan) and 4 days off (still eating healthy but not following their meal plan). It boasts that you can lose up to 40 lbs in a month if done correctly. Anyone try this diet? Thoughts? Success? Bad reviews?

This came up in a different thread. I don't see how you could lose 40 lbs a month. I also don;t see that it's necessarily shocking or anorexic.

This has 3 days at around 1000 calories (1069, 833, 871) and 4 days at an unspecified "Normal".

So, if "Normal" is 1800 calories/day - you're at about a 20% deficit on this. If "normal" is 3000 calories - it's about 30% deficit.

But at 1800 - you're only looking at a total weekly deficit of 2627 calories. At 3000 - you'd be at a deficit of 6227 calories for the week.

After the first water loss week, you'd get maybe 1-2 lbs of loss a week.

I think I got my math right - and I'm using the numbers from another post on this same topic - not any kind of personal experience.
  • lalaglo30
    lalaglo30 Posts: 33
    Options
    In regards to everyone recommending to eat healthy count calories and work out...I'm doing that...I am having a tough time shedding the pounds.

Serious question...are you really having a hard time shedding weight, or is it just too slow for what you perceive to be good weight loss? I ask because a lot of people have some serious misconceptions of how much weight they should be losing and how fast. When it's all said and done, I will have lost 40ish Lbs and it will have taken me 9-12 months to do so at an average rate of 3.5-4 Lbs per month (nice, safe, healthy, and consistent weight loss).

Your ticker says you've lost 6 Lbs...how long did that take you? Personally, any loss is good...anything from 2-4 Lbs per month is outstanding. Anything beyond 4 Lbs per month is probably not sustainable long term unless you are very obese.

A little bit of both. Sometimes I don't lose anything when I think I should have in a particular week. Other times I just lose patience. I am the person who wants it NOW. I struggled with two different bouts of anorexia in the past. So in my younger years I was used to losing fast. Over the last several years (since I moved in with my husband in 2006) I have gained alot. I don't miss the weakness, the muscle loss, the paleness and the unhealthy anorexic look I had before. And now I love to eat and I love to cook. So taking off these 40 pounds is going to be tough. But I know how to eat healthy now and I need to stick with the program even though it's going to take longer.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Seeing as the last person that mentioned this diet to me was suffering from anorexia I would definitely not recommend it.
  • mommawarwick
    mommawarwick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    but you get ice cream
    *smiles*