Why you shouldn't shop at thrift stores if you do already

Options

Replies

• tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Rich or poor, some people just like a good deal! I however, will be donating most of my clothes to Goodwill, now that I am 16lbs lighter and they don't fit! Whoo hooo! :) Enjoy!
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hey I applaude everyone that ONLY buys from the malls. Those name brand clothes sooner or later make their way into my closet at a fraction of the cost. Thank you! :drinker:
    You think I'm going to donate my DKNY jeans? You cray cray. Get on my level.

you may not donate your name brand clothes but A LOT of people do!!

I found a designer coat at Goodwill that was originally $250 and I bought it for $3! I live close to a wealthier part of town, so all the rich people donate their clothes, and I get them for under $10. Love it.

LOL I drive to the rich neighborhoods and shop at their thrift stores.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    No time to dig through the racks. I have 3 kids, 2 of whom are impossible to shop with (they run off), so I would rather go to a store I am familiar with and can reach right for something off the rack and not have to go down a whole line of red shirts, weeding out the good and bad (for example). It's not worth the time!

This I will give! Shopping thrift stores is alot of work! And time consuming.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Classist much?
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't judge, but I wouldn't wear or buy thrift store anything due to the possibility of them being contaminated with bed bugs.

Friends of ours got bed bugs from a nice Disney hotel, and there are whole apartment buildings here infested with them - typically in the low income or assisted housing areas.

No thanks.

I donated all of my nice larger sized clothes to a good friend who makes less money than I do and has 4 kids.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Classist much?

There is nothing wrong with hating poor people.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    (non thrift store off point )i dont know why...but i felt like exclaiming... I LOVE T.J.MAXX!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you buy sweat-shop manufactured clothes in a thrift shop, you are still supporting the sweat shop by advertising that brand as "good" making other people want to wear it, adding social value to those buying them first-hand, and also by raising the value of those clothes second-hand, making it more likely for people to buy them new in the first place because they have higher resale value.

It is also impossible to buy second hand clothes if nobody ever bought them first-hand, so criticisms of people who buy new stuff are rather silly.
  • MrMVP2011
    MrMVP2011 Posts: 25
    Options
    I refuse to shop at Goodwill. That place is a joke.
  • sixout
    Options
    If you buy sweat-shop manufactured clothes in a thrift shop, you are still supporting the sweat shop by advertising that brand as "good" making other people want to wear it, adding social value to those buying them first-hand, and also by raising the value of those clothes second-hand, making it more likely for people to buy them new in the first place because they have higher resale value.

It is also impossible to buy second hand clothes if nobody ever bought them first-hand, so criticisms of people who buy new stuff are rather silly.

5DNrg.gif
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    More to prove a point, than to brag, I bring in a little over 100k a year, I'm not saying I buy all the granny panties at the Thrift stores, but if I see something I like, I'll buy it; why not!? I'll buy designer items IF they are truly "you get what you pay for" worthy, but I'm not going to sit here and DRESS like I am made of money....most of the time, those people are broke as a joke living with their mommas.

Agreed! I have no problem paying a bit more for something that is going to last, hold up in the wash/after several wears. I also have no problem buying really cheap stuff if it is cute and looks good. Forever 21 is one of my favorites for cheap clothes that are unique/trendy.

Really, it's all about appearance to me, not cost. And I am really good at finding deals on things that look fab.

Amen sista!
  • ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm back, what did I miss?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Thrift Stores creep me out, will always creep me out and smell like.. Piss.

The one by me smells like spaghettios. Not sure why. :ohwell:

Poor people eat spaghettios, didn't you know this?

I was not aware of this. Thank you for enlightening me. :smile:
  • sixout
    Options

Poor people being poor. The usual.
  • ericmessier
    Options
    Thread still full of poor people?
  • ericmessier
    Options

Poor people being poor. The usual.
    Okay, thought so.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

5DNrg.gif

I know, I'm awesome like that.
  • MissesForrester
    MissesForrester Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    LMAO ROTF!!!!:laugh:
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Hey I applaude everyone that ONLY buys from the malls. Those name brand clothes sooner or later make their way into my closet at a fraction of the cost. Thank you! :drinker:
    You think I'm going to donate my DKNY jeans? You cray cray. Get on my level.
    you may not donate your name brand clothes but A LOT of people do!!
    I found a designer coat at Goodwill that was originally $250 and I bought it for $3! I live close to a wealthier part of town, so all the rich people donate their clothes, and I get them for under $10. Love it.
    The Goodwills here in Houston have figured this out and have one or 2 stores that they label as "premiere" or "premium" or whatever and they send the high-price items there and charge a higher price for them.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Having grown up "poor" I know what "poor" is...and I am NOT it LOL
    but, I have a confession...I not ONLY love a great thrift store deal...but I shop at the Dollar Tree too! *gasp* Should I be seeking some sort of frugal support group? Since its apparently not getting me in with the "cool kids"... :frown:
This discussion has been closed.