Running

Options

Replies

• weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love running, I love how it makes me feel, I love how I feel so connected to my body when I'm running, I love everything about running. So no, I don't get bored. Some people just don't enjoy running, and if you dno't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it. You can't force yourself. Find something else you enjoy.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i just zone out. no headphones no iphone nothing. it's my brain down time. i also like to run trails and i need to pay attention to the ground so i guess my attention is more on that than on what i'm doing. as for races, the people, the rush, the overall event keeps me well entertained while running.

Pretty much the same here. I do listen to music though I could not tell you after my run which songs were on. Trail runs are the best. Treadmill is horrible and sidewalks are also boring but the trail runs - those are great.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks on my iphone. Makes a 2+ hour run go quite fast!

Great idea!

Right now I'm training for a half marathon, still working towards a 5K really... But once I get to the end of my training, I will have to give the audiobook idea a try.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Download the app Zombie's Run!

This
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I run outside, no matter the weather provided it's not iced over or a hurricane.

I listen to Pandora for music - many stations to choose from.
    I also switch up my routes so I have different scenery to look at and not get bored.

Personally - I can't stand the tread mill - to me that is a torture device
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I struggle with this myself.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Discipline in reaching your goal, i've tried it all music, radio,audiobooks and long runs still get boring maybe if you have Sirius, listening to Howard Stern would work that one I haven't try but to me it's accomplishing what you set out to do.
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    I run a variety of routes which helps change things up. I also have a huge playlist that I play on shuffle. These are helps,but for me the challenge of conquering the next mile, and improving my times and distances keep me pretty focused. I also run with the endomondo smartphone app that gives me frequent updates on my pace and distance.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Like others, I listen to good music and I change routes or locations to keep the scenery new. My mind usually moves so fast all day, that running is the only time my brain can relax and sometimes the run is over before I even realize it. One person's boredom is another person's mediation in this case. lol
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks on my iphone. Makes a 2+ hour run go quite fast!

Thumbs up for that. I have Audible on my tablet/phone. There's no way I could crank out an hour on the treadmill without it. I plan to use it this weekend during a long distance charity event. I could be on my feet for well over 12 hours.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run 2,400+ miles every year with NO music. I like running and it gives me time to think and clear my head. On weekends I run long with my training partner, so we just chit chat as we run.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy running, so that helps. I don't ever run on a treadmill, or listen to music. I run with a friend most of the time, and sometimes we chat, and sometimes we run along silently next to each other for miles and miles. If I'm not talking to my friend - or when I'm running alone - I just get lost in my head, or I check out the scenery and the wildlife. It's a good time to think. And a good time to zone out.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I generally just listen to music. I may need to get some audio books. I used to watch shows, but now I'm living somewhere else and the gym has no wifi, I don't have data... so no netflix for me! :(
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I always run outside, have a running buddy, and listen to music/podcasts (for when we don't want to talk). We're going to do some speed work, too, to add some training and variety.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    i just zone out. no headphones no iphone nothing. it's my brain down time. i also like to run trails and i need to pay attention to the ground so i guess my attention is more on that than on what i'm doing. as for races, the people, the rush, the overall event keeps me well entertained while running.

Pretty much says it all. I just like running. I run with my dog sometimes. When I run on the road I don't want to get hit so I don't listen to anything. In the woods, I still need to be aware of my surroundings as well as not tripping on roots and rocks.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you running inside or outside. I find that I rarely get bored when I run outside, but if it does happen then I focus on the scenery or what is to come or I think about where I can take my run that I haven't been before.

I also like to listen to music to help pass the time.

When I am on the treadmill there are times that I get bored, but I try to focus on something else, like a problem in another are of my life that needs a solution. I am a planner so I use my time running to plan. I also like to watch TV when I am on the treadmill, but sometimes this becomes a problem because I lose focus and motivation to continue my run, so most of the time I stick with listening to music.

Tina
    Group Leader
    Boot Camp Challenge: Truly Committed
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12853-truly-committed-boot-camp
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I recently got really into running. Like yourself, I got bored but that was when I was running on a treadmill. I still can't do more than 5k on one. I clock watch and distance watch, even with my music in. Outside, I don't listen to music or anything, I just run and put the world to right in my head. It's surprising how quick time goes! I sometimes run with a running group but even then I sort of stick to myself and get lost in my own thoughts. Like I said though and like others have said on this post, it's all about running outside! Treadmills are tedious!

Ax
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I've done a few 5K's, and I would like to do a half marathon. I consider myself someone who likes to be fit and not really a runner. I would probably run more but I honestly get bored. Once I get past a few miles it's not an issue of physical ability, I just get bored. My question to all you runners is how do not get bored when running long distances?

I have a fairly active mind and like to think of all kinds of things, solutions to world peace, how to join the Hell's Angels etc.

Why do something that bores you? this is why I don't lift weights.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    music and getting lost in my thoughts. Pandora radio is great for running, as you never know what to expect next.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

Pretty much says it all. I just like running. I run with my dog sometimes. When I run on the road I don't want to get hit so I don't listen to anything. In the woods, I still need to be aware of my surroundings as well as not tripping on roots and rocks.

yup these are the two reasons why i do not listen to anything. fear of getting run down by a vehicle if i'm on the road and well fear of animals/people attacking in the woods.