Am I really overweight ?

Options

Replies

• existssometime
    Options
    That's about my height and weight as well, and I've had the term applied to me as well quite frequently. I definitely don't consider myself overweight -- it's just my body type. BMI tries to tell me I am, and I won't deny I have some fat in some places I wish I didn't, but I know it's not an issue like "overweight" makes it sound.
  • sylviag73
    Options
    I can't agree more with all the comments.. Nowadays people think they're fat because they don't look like the model that is a size "OO" on the cover of Cosmo magazine.. You are absolutely perfect and I know there is ton of women that would love to have your body.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    yes, the word "overweight" is really scary, and I've heard it for the first time applied to me. I've even read it in my workout plan the guys from gym gave me.
    The thing is, I never saw myself as an overweight person, I've always seen a chubby/curvy woman but not overweight... am I in denial ?

I'm 1.69m and my weight is around 69-70Kg at the moment. My goal is to get down to 64-65Kg. Weight is really important to me because I have back problems, and I need to be less heavier.
    Please give me your opinion... I'm not here fishing for any compliment, but I'm starting to think I've been so wrong all along and I'm actually overweight and a joke of a body :(

This is the most recent picture I took (took it for my blog last sunday):

DSC00566.jpg

I know that some people have disorders, like they're really skinny and see themselves as fat, could I been suffering from the opposite? :(

You are very attractive and I would not see you and think...wow what a fattie I would think cute girl, hot shoes. The categories were created by doctors as a means of assessing health risks. They were never intended to be used as a way of describing appearance or help people with self esteem. They are a guideline as well, and not accurate for many people as people with high muscle mass vs fat will be heavier without the same health risks as someone who is the same weight but has a higher fat index. Don't look at the label and even consider your appearance, consider your health only.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    BMI is an average. That means it's correct as an aggregate, but not accurate for probably 50% or more of the people. It does serve a purpose as a lazy guide for insurance companies or people doing surveys with regard to very large groups, but useless for most individuals.

Body fat percentage is the only real measurement that counts. The scales that do the body fat measurements aren't totally accurate, but they're still much better than BMI. Calipers are a better option and not very expensive to buy. There are several different methods using various skinfold measurements from just a few points that you can measure yourself to more accurate ones with several points that someone else would have to take for you in places like between your shoulders that you can't measure and read yourself.

Anyone with more lean mass and less body fat than the average will consistently fail under the BMI numbers. According to BMI alone, most athletes are overweight or obese. Verify your lean mass percentage and you can then consider your "overweight" BMI number as a badge of honor.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You look great from my non-professonal viewpoint. I personally think that the body composition is much more important that what the scale says in any event. Read a story years ago about an Air Force fighter jet pilot that had 7% body fat and entered into body building contests as a hobby. The USAF deemed him overweight as he logged in at 203# and told him he had to lose. I wish I had those problems!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Going by your pics, you are not overweight. You are normal weight. You look good!
  • xelalarenee
    Options
    *Stuffs face with ice cream and sobs* You are NOT overweight. No. Absolutely not. I would kill for your body. Well, not kill, but restrict calorie intake and exercise consistently. Working on it. You look AMAZING.
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    Hi guys,
    yes, the word "overweight" is really scary, and I've heard it for the first time applied to me. I've even read it in my workout plan the guys from gym gave me.
    The thing is, I never saw myself as an overweight person, I've always seen a chubby/curvy woman but not overweight... am I in denial ?

I'm 1.69m and my weight is around 69-70Kg at the moment. My goal is to get down to 64-65Kg. Weight is really important to me because I have back problems, and I need to be less heavier.
    Please give me your opinion... I'm not here fishing for any compliment, but I'm starting to think I've been so wrong all along and I'm actually overweight and a joke of a body :(

This is the most recent picture I took (took it for my blog last sunday):

DSC00566.jpg

I know that some people have disorders, like they're really skinny and see themselves as fat, could I been suffering from the opposite? :(

If I looked like you I wouldn't be on here!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You look great! being on here is tough at times, now I think i'm skinny fat even though I weigh 100 pounds and am quite strong for my size. Ignore it, you look really good.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I read the post, I look at the picture, I re-read the post, look at the picture again, read the post one more time... And I really can't tell if this is a joke.

If it's serious...

Please take note of that disorder you know about, and be watchful you don't develop it.

Take care.
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE TO LOOK LIKE YOU!
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Girl, don't waste another minute feeling bad about yourself!!! CERTAINLY not ;)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You and I are the same height and weight... I am not overweight. In fact, I'm super happy with my weight. Perhaps you need to lift weights and add muscle mass so that your body fat % is a little lower. But you look completely healthy to me.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I would honestly probably kill a man to get your body... it is exactly what my goal body is in my mind.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    omg I love your outfit *squee*

But it also hides your body, but your legs look great.

And remember, the BMI chart is for sedentary individuals. If you are not sedentary, it does not apply to you.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Darn it girl, you look great!! And definitely not fat, overweight, chubby or whatever other label the quack may have used!
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    70kg for 1.69 female is not overweight, but it is at the wrong side of the scale. It's easy to lose 10kg though.
  • jnsb
    jnsb Posts: 20
    Options
    Remember that trainers at the gym are there to sell you a product -- thin -- to keep themselves in business. I wouldn't read too much into it.
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    I was flipping through the channels today and came across the end of the last episode of Next Top Model or something like that, and the girl who won, she looked like she was anorexic! Her arms were really too skinny looking, yet she was deemed as beautiful, as the best.
    *shakes head*
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nope. Simply beautiful. U don't look like u need to lose any weight. Just focus on being healthy and feeling good about urself.