BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Squats

With weights.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Goodmornings?

I swear, I hear something new here everyday.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Squats, kettlebells for life y'all.. and yes, squats with weights.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    awesome thx! am I making it worse by running a lot?

Yes. You might want to drop back the cardio to no more than 2 hrs. a week. Cardio is catabolic (i.e. it tears down the body). One hopes that fat is what is torn down but, in women, because of the influence of estrogen (estrogen "loves" fat and is "meh" about muscle), often what is torn down is muscle. You will need to eat at a slight SURPLUS--especially protein--and work, work, work the muscles that you want to enlarge (gluts) with weight training. Weight training is anabolic (i.e. it builds up the body) when you give your body enough good food to build that muscle.

weight lifting is moreso catabolic.

No, in all the reading I have done, weight lifting is considered to be anabolic. You could use it to burn fat but the whole point of lifting weights is to build muscle---and that is anabolic.

I'm not sure what your reading, but in my EXPERIENCE, and what I have READ weightlifting is inherently catabolic. The term catabolic means 'break down'. When you go into the gym you lift weights, you are tearing the muscle fibres down with added resistance i.e. 'break down'. The term anabolic means 'build up'. You build muscle outside the gym, in your nutrition and sleep.

Another note the point of weightlifting is not to build muscle, it is to move a certain amount of weight - hence 'weight lifting'.
    Bodybuilding is the sport of building muscle.

Semantic confusion. Yes, lifting weights does "tear the muscle down" but then the body builds it back better and stronger. That's the whole point. Who would lift weights if they got smaller, flabby, weaker muscles?
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Semantic confusion. Yes, lifting weights does "tear the muscle down" but then the body builds it back better and stronger. That's the whole point. Who would lift weights if they got smaller, flabby, weaker muscles?

Hence why muscle builds outside the gym when you are not weightlifting. weight lifting is simply the catalyst to stimulate neural pathways and growth hormone release. But you could stimulate with all the growth hormones (natural) you want, but with out the food that follows the weightlifting, you're not building anything, you simply tear down the muscle over and over again. Therefore weightlifting = catabolic.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Hence why muscle builds outside the gym when you are not weightlifting. weight lifting is simply the catalyst to stimulate neural pathways and growth hormone release. But you could stimulate with all the growth hormones (natural) you want, but with out the food that follows the weightlifting, you're not building anything, you simply tear down the muscle over and over again. Therefore weightlifting = catabolic.

:flowerforyou:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    lunges are fab! My *kitten* just wont quit and all the guys check it out also. I will do lunges forever I think!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    squats, leg curls, lunges, leg press (low). Make sure you drive through the heels to activate your glutes <3 Feel free to check out my pics. proof is in the pudding :laugh:
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've always had a flat butt. (curse my overly-white-girl genes)

Now, it's round, perky, and sticks out more than it ever has. Weighted squats are your new best friend.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    awesome thx! am I making it worse by running a lot?

not really, but your muscle glycogen will be depleted from running and will therefore seem your *kitten* look less plump.

YES really!! have you looked at the long backsides of distance runners? I would go w earlier advice of SPRINTING.. Compare the glutes of a sprinter w distance runner and you tell me which is more plump firm and formed perfectly!! Don't over do ANY cardio if you need to build up your posterior !! work on building and hardening that area first!! :flowerforyou:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Sprinters also develop more muscle mass to help with explosiveness. But do all the exercises people recommended such as barbell squats, deadlifts, Bulgarian squats, lunges, glute hip thrusts, hamstring curls, good mornings, and incline sprints.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    When I do a squat , I try to squeeze my butt cheeks at the top but feel like I'm not getting much of a squeeze. Also when I try to do a glute bridge I cannot seem to make my cheeks squeeze at the top. What am I doing wrong???

how do I strengthen my bum cheeks? I read somewhere that sitting alot during the day can cause your glutes to become weak, any tips to make them strong? or just moooore squats ?
  • robotshorts
    Options
    I seemed to have lost my butt...It used to be nice, now its just small. I want my butt back! How do I get it back without gaining weight? I lost a bit of weight and it seemed to have been only there and I would like to get it back,. Some people say squats, some say nothing I can do. Any help?

I came up with this for that exact reason. Hopefully it works!

Day 1: Hill sprints
    5 x 10 yards (rest 15 seconds in between)

Day 2: step back lunges, bent knee deadlift,
    chair squats, 3 sets of 10 each, 2 min rest in between add 5 pounds every week

Day 3: rest

Day 4:
    side step lunges, squats, straight leg deadlift,
    3 sets of 10 each, 2 min rest in between add 5 pounds every week

Day 5: Hill Sprints
    4 x 20 yards (rest 30 seconds in between)

Day 6: rest

Day 7:
    curtsy Lunges, side step squats, wide leg dead lift, 3 sets of 10 each, 2 min rest in between add 5 pounds every week
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    When I do a squat , I try to squeeze my butt cheeks at the top but feel like I'm not getting much of a squeeze. Also when I try to do a glute bridge I cannot seem to make my cheeks squeeze at the top. What am I doing wrong???

how do I strengthen my bum cheeks? I read somewhere that sitting alot during the day can cause your glutes to become weak, any tips to make them strong? or just moooore squats ?

anyone ???
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I used to have a flat butt. I met with a trainer and told him my butt is naturally flat. That it always had been. He told me he could change that. I said it was genetically impossible. He had my butt high, round and little and tight after about 5 mos. I kept staring at it saying, "this isn't my butt". Honestly, I thought it looked like a teenagers. He had me doing 60 squats a day, 3x a week with heavy weights.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    damn good effort !!!!