Feeling Tired and Drained

Options
Does anyone else feel this way or have and what was the cause? I've been eating healthy and working out for the last 66 days. I get plenty of sleep and taking vitamins and have been energized and motivated from the start. But over the last few days I'm just very tired, drained and unmotivated to work out. I havent changed anything so I don't know what could all of a sudden cause this! Any advice please!

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Take a week off from exercising and just rest your body. Maybe it's trying to tell you something. :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider upping your calories. 1200 can be really draining long-term. Do you know your BMR/TDEE?
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Taking a week off sounds good but I'm afraid if I did I would lose my motivation.
    And I do not know my BMR or TDEE
    I get plenty of protein and have been trying to eat a little more calories daily but after being so used to 1200 daily for the last 66 days, I'm finding it hard to incorporate more when I don't feel hungry
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    First two responses both sound reasonable to me.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Depending how heavy you work out, you may need a week with (much) reduced intensity. Then pick back up again.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Did you recently participate in the time change? I just mentioned on my feed how awful time changes make me feel. It's just an hour, but it's rough.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If ti is just the last few days, it may be as simple as...The time change.

I had a HARD time sleeping for the first three nights and just that SIMPLE HOUR has borked me up. If in 2 more days you are back to normal, it was probably that. :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I believe it's simply not enough calories/food. If I don't eat enough I get a
    hangry.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way and I think it;s the time change. You wouldn't think an hour makes much difference, but here it is 7:20 in Missouri and I'm ready for bed!
  • JoQuinn523
    JoQuinn523 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with time change- I have been dragging *kitten*- I didn't work out for a week thinking I needed a break and NOW I am struggling with getting back into it today was the 1st day I worked out.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Take a week off from exercising and just rest your body. Maybe it's trying to tell you something. :smile:

Absolutely agree, and maybe its the food your consuming, try too keep it clean for a bit and see where this takes you.
    When I started out I often felt tired and agitated. I rested a bit more and increased my cals. Be sure you are getting fat in your diet as well, your body needs fat too absorb vitamins. Possibly try a Probiotic

Good luck too you
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When you say "plenty of protein", how much protein are we talking about? Because the MFP settings probably have you at around 65 g, and that is not really enough to nourish growing muscles. You need at least 100 to feel really energized on a daily basis if you're working out and an average sized lady.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel this way or have and what was the cause? I've been eating healthy and working out for the last 66 days. I get plenty of sleep and taking vitamins and have been energized and motivated from the start. But over the last few days I'm just very tired, drained and unmotivated to work out. I havent changed anything so I don't know what could all of a sudden cause this! Any advice please!
    Nope, but I did. The cause I was eating far below my energy expenditure. Started eating more and problem be gone and I lost at the same rate. And if this isn't the problem and you're getting all of your vitamins make sure your diet isn't low in fat (you need fat to absorb those things).

Flu season? It could be a million things.

Edit: After reading the rest of this post I'd put all my money on you're not eating enough.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Yeah, it could be "overtraining". Or it could be some mineral deficiency--magnesium is the most likely one that exercisers get (85% of all people have magnesium deficiencies because of our dietary habits). It is a tough one to supplement because magnesium supplements give a lot of people diarrhea. I would have my doc check my macro-minerals--calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and maybe zinc. I would eat a lot of cooked vegetables for a while to build my mineral levels back up. You don't have to butter them all the time. Cooked spinach (one of the richest sources of minerals) is great with just a bit of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The time change didn't occur to me but that's a possibility-- I'm a housewife so it doesn't really bother me. If you're interested in increasing calories read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Blood chemistry makes me feel this way, eat some salty foods or take some electrolytes. It works for me.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough, that's your body slowing down because its not getting enough fuel to carry on at the same rate it has been.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You arent eating enough for the amount of exercise you have been doing... feed that body girl.. if you cant put 500 more calories in your daily meal plan, add some higher calorie stuff like nuts, cheeses, avacados.. etc.. hope you are back to feeling yourself soon
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    Did you recently participate in the time change? I just mentioned on my feed how awful time changes make me feel. It's just an hour, but it's rough.

I second this! This week has been horrible for me!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

You may be right. I just heard some researcher say that he measured cortisol levels (a marker for physical or mental stress) and that the people he tested had higher cortisol levels from the time change than other test subjects had to crossing time zones while traveling. Go figure? :ohwell: