Replies

• Heitz59
    Heitz59 Posts: 2
    Options
    I make smoothies and I always add a handful of spinach to the smoothies
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just what others have said, I add it to smoothies (see below for my favorite) and I also use it in a breakfast casserole.

Modified Green Smoothie:
    6 oz plain greek yogurt
    handful frozen strawberries
    1 banana (this is also how I get rid of overly ripe bananas)
    8 oz Unsweetened Almond milk (others have used coconut milk but I never have that around)
    1 small can of crushed pineapple
    2 cups baby spinach
    ice to texture

Egg and Spinach casserole:
    Lightly saute spinach and add to baking dish with 8 beaten eggs and cheese to taste. lightly stir with a fork and bake at 325 for 20 minutes..... voila.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Spinach and Tomato Chicken

10 ounce bag of baby spinach
    3 Tb chicken broth
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    salt and pepper
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    italian seasoning
    1 large tomato, cut into large chunks
    5 green onions, chopped
    1/3 C fresh parmesan cheese, grated (I used at least ¾ cup – try even more)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place the spinach in the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking pan. Drizzle over the chicken broth and sprinkle the top with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken over the spinach and season very well with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and italian seasoning. Add the tomato and green onion then sprinkle on the parmesan cheese over the whole dish.
    2. Take a piece of foil and loosely tent it over the top of the pan. Do not seal the edges of the foil to the pan. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately, drizzling the pan juices over the top of each serving.

Ooooh !!!
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love it steamed then topped with a bit of apple cider vinegar and ham! Yum!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i heat up a pan, heat up some olive oil, chop the spinach, toss it in, add, salt, pepper, garlic powder, saute a few minutes, and done.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Make spinach and cheese pie :) Or a dipping sauce for chips or something
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Feed it to the rabbits.
    My rabbit doesn't like spinach. :(
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinach too! Spinach salads are the best. Like many others have suggested it's great sauteed and added to something like chicken, eggs, or even quinoa.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I love spinach. I mean, I really love spinach.

And sometimes I buy too much.

I have a bag in my fridge that is threatening to go bad quickly. Condensation has already put it past the point of acceptable salad use, but I hate to waste food. Almost as much as I love spinach.

Any ideas for a good way to use up a lot of spinach when cooking for just yourself? No soups, please. That's how I got rid of a bag of kale last week.

I've got lots of cheese, including feta, ground turkey, chicken, tortilla wraps, quinoa and all kinds of pasta in my fridge among other ingredients.

Homemade curry.
    Potato and spinach bake topped with cheese.
    Large mushrooms topped with cheese and spinach and sliced tomatoes.
    Mixed with chicken and cheese in a wrap.
  • Northern_Lady
    Options
    I found this online, posted by Sherry Lipp...YUMMY!

Spinach Parmesan Chicken Meatballs

Ingredients:

1 lb ground chicken
    2 eggs
    1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (or 1/2 c. each shredded Parmesan & ground almond meal)
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp dried garlic (or 1 minced clove)
    1 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
    2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
    3. Mix thoroughly
    4. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil
    5. Scoop meat into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet
    Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked through
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I always get it on sale for buy one, get one free and half a bag goes to waste. I use it in salads, on veggie burgers, and pizzas (whole wheat pita bread topped with spaghetti sauce, spinach, peppers, and chicken, and cheese). Lately, I've been using it for breakfast:

*fry up an egg
    *cook the spinach
    *melt some cheese (preferably swiss or mozzarella)
    *mix it all together in a bowl of oatmeal

OATMEAL FLORENTINE... the recipe i found in women's health magazine, the link which I got from a thread on oatmeal recipes on MFP actually:D
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Feta and spinach stuffed pork chops! amaaaazing. Just slice a pocket in one and wilt the spinach in a pan a mix in some feta so it gets melty then shove it the pork and bake!

heh heh heh heh you said "shove" and "pork"

But in all seriousness folks. Spinach. Its good stuff.

My favorite green smoothie:

HYOOGE handfull of spinach
    water to liquify (about a cup)
    blend until the water and spinach are one

2 cups frozen tropical fruit (mango, pineapple,)
    1 banana
    blend again
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sauté it with cabbage ( no oil) and then add red pepper flakes and drizzle with sesame oil.Taste very Thai.....I only use Spinich for my salads as greens sometimes add cabbage. They both last along time and I live very far from stores! My smoothie is blueberries water, pea protein powder and lots of Spinich.
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the person that offered the idea of using salad going bad in an omelet. I had some salad in my fridge going bad - well really just the spinach was going bad, everything else seemed fine - and was afraid I'd end up throwing it all away as usual, until I came across this thread. That is a great idea! I made an omelet for breakfast this morning, and the rest of the salad is in the freezer to be used in the future.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    chicken roll ups boneless skin less pounded stuff with low fat mozzarella cheese grated mixed with chopped spinach. roll and. bake

mock spinach pie quinoa cooked separate add spinach , nutmeg, pine nuts, crumbled feta...

it is also great cut up in soups which can be easily frozen..

and my personal favorite make basic falafal add in chopped spinach or kale then bake ...
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mandles82
    mandles82 Posts: 31
    Options
    That's is a fabulous idea!!!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I use tons of spinach in homemade juices and smoothies. I also use it in omelets, scrambled eggs, dips, etc. It's great on a bun with some cheese and sautéed mushrooms!
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i give the can a hard squeeze and it shoots out into the air, and when it comes down, i inhale it through my corncob pipe.

Love it! Can't stop laughing!:laugh: