Frustration - Wife sabotages herself - women listen up

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Let's see. You said that I was "Not a very insightful person," and that " really need to learn to expand [my] horizons a bit, read and listen a little better, be a bit more insightful."

No, I do not know the intimate details of your marriage, but I imagine that if you use this little "Golly gee, we must have a misunderstanding here," tactic when you clearly hurl passive-aggressive insults, then you have more problems than you are willing to admit to.

There's therapy for that. Takes one to know one...and by that I mean, maybe call your doctor.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    He already said that he was wrong to throw away her hair bands. Lets not overreact.

Yeah I don't get why this is a big deal.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time reading as you tore your wife to shreds about her lack of confidence. This was a uniquely painful experience, thank you for subjecting me to this brand new kind of discomfort.
    With love,
    Burt

This was how I felt also.

Really? Have you ever been with someone who is insecure? They need constant reassurance. The OP explained this in great detail. It is absolutely exhausting to have to constantly reassure someone of their worth. And it is not fair to the person who has to do the reassuring because no matter what they do or say, no matter what tactics they try, the insecure person does not listen to them and their self-image is not improved. It's highly frustrating to have to maintain someone else's self-esteem while trying to maintain your own.

I've been with my husband for 15 years (and we were friends for another two years before that). I have my own history that had a very damaging impact on how I view myself and on how I saw my worth as being completely intertwined with my sexual attractiveness. My husband knows this and understands this, so he knows what I have been through. And when he sees me struggling he can help remind me that this is the damage from my past, and he reminds me of the healthy ways I have coped and been able to overcome that. I have, at many times in my life, struggled with a distorted sense of how I looked. My husband is amazing. He has always adored me and helped me to see myself through his eyes. I know that how he sees me does matter. When I feel down about myself, I know that I could spiral into a bad place, so I remind myself of how my husband sees me and that I value him and our relationship. I have a lot of feelings about myself, but I deal with them in my own mind because I know my husband does not see me the way I see myself, so I don't need to always share those thoughts and feelings with him, I can manage them for myself. I also know that the way I feel about myself is how I feel about myself and not how my husband feels about me. I am completely comfortable and uninhibited around my husband because I know how much he is attracted to me and he also says that my comfort with my body and sexuality is one of the things he likes about me.

So, I'm just saying that a woman can have these issues and not have it impact her relationship. But, I do need support from my husband. If my husband behaved and thought in some of the ways as this OP, it would not improve the issues at all. I also find it odd that he felt the need to detail it out in order to try and teach all us women something.

You said that a woman can have those issues and not have them impact her relationship? Perhaps you just didn't notice how much the relationship was, indeed, impacted.

I'm sorry, but I know more about my relationship than you do. And clearly you do not understand what I said at all, if that is what you come away with. Not a very insightful person.

My husband and I are both human. And we are open and honest with each other. He has issues of his own as well. And I am a support to him. And we also deal with our issues on our own, as people should. We do not make one another a therapist. We are husband and wife. The issues that we each have are very minor in comparison to the strengths that we have and that we each bring to the relationship. He thanks me on a regular basis. And he has said very clearly that he thinks I have an incredible amount of actual self love because of how I care for myself. And that the level of comfort that I have with my body is more than he has ever seen (the level of how completely uninhibited I am). I am a dancer, so it is part of my life. He also says that I have an incredible amount of strength and that the small amount that my (incredibly horrendous past) has had an impact on me is so minimal that if I had not gone through that he thinks I would not struggle with those issues at all. And it has never impacted me in a way any further than just a few thoughts here and there. I never had an eating disorder or anything of that sort. He appreciates me very deeply. And I appreciate him very deeply. We have a wonderful relationship and we are parents together.

Being aware of things and where they originate from (as I have clearly illustrated, without over-sharing) goes a long way towards solving problems.

You really need to learn to expand your horizons a bit, read and listen a little better, be a bit more insightful. You are jumping to some pretty big conclusions based on very minimal information.

Thank you, really, for the laugh. Your depth of self-awareness coupled with the abiding, ever-loyal love of your equally self-aware husband is almost as breathtakingly pure as your condescension.
    Peace.

I don't understand how this conversation ended up here. I may have miscommunicated or misunderstood somewhere along the line.

Hmmm. Let's see. You said that I was "Not a very insightful person," and that " really need to learn to expand [my] horizons a bit, read and listen a little better, be a bit more insightful."

No, I do not know the intimate details of your marriage, but I imagine that if you use this little "Golly gee, we must have a misunderstanding here," tactic when you clearly hurl passive-aggressive insults, then you have more problems than you are willing to admit to.

I understand why you felt insulted by that. I guess it was too harsh. It was just my reaction to you saying something about my relationship that was not true (as I said, I may have misunderstood you). So, please accept my apology on that. Mistakes happen.

But, seriously, you need to chill out. You don't even know me. You are reading way too much into what I am writing and taking it very personally. And this conversation is getting off topic from the OP and is quite uncomfortable.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Why don't you just have your wife read your post and listen to what she has to say....
    ^ This Exactly. I have to say by the way I am very impressed to see a man express himself in a open forum so honestly and with some depth. I am sure your wife will too when she reads your post, and it will open up for dialogue between the two of you:smile: Hopefully.

My main concern is that we are certainly only seeing one side of the story. I'm not so sure showing his spouse the entire OP would be the best decision.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I also want to preface that I am in no way a master of the ways of women, and much of what I say is simply my opinion.

Sir, truer words have never been spoken.

Saying "I love you enough to care that you put an effort into looking good because it will make you feel better" is a wonderful turn of mental gymnastics, but it doesn't cover up the point that you want her to look a certain way. So rather than try to be the 'nice guy' offering wisdom for all of these wayward ladies, why don't you just fess up and say you're frustrated because she doesn't meet your expectations of beauty?

Aside from losing your perceived high ground, anyway.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    He already said that he was wrong to throw away her hair bands. Lets not overreact.

That's a shame.
    Saying sorry after doing something like that usually means nothing.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    " It might not help too much with the self esteem issue, but if she gets enough feedback about looking nicer, she might not turn immediately for her comfort clothes. "

Because who cares what she feels as long as she knows she HAS to look like this at all time or you wont think she is pretty.
  • Chrissy292018
    Chrissy292018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I feel like you were misunderstood by several people. I got the impression that your wife used to do herself u lackp to go out and since you have noticed a change in her self confidence there has been a change in her "normal" behaviors. I get this, I went through the same thing, my self confidence was low (mainly because I gained 30 in a year) I felt ugly and disgusting and my husband got sick of hearing about it. Like you, he always tells me how beautiful I am and how much he loves me. But I just couldnt see what he did, I felt horrible, how could he find me attractive? I quit wearing make-up except for on occasion and quit doing my hair. He would always tell me he thought I looked pretty without make-up so why did I wear it...

What im trying to say is that him complimenting me and making me feel good about whatever I chose to wear or not wear worked. He was dedicated to making me feel beautiful and he succeeded. I know he loves me for me but there are still some areas I want yo work on.

I think you have good intentions:).
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options

That's a shame.

Only if you're a liar. Not everyone is, and unless you know the OP personally, you can't make that call.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My fiancé holds me when I feel like *kitten*. He thinks I am beautiful where I'm sweaty wearing a headband.. bloated wearing his underwear.. whether I feel gorgeous or like an ugly cow!

I didn't like your post sir. Sounds like there is some other issues going on with your wife. Maybe instead of telling her how pretty she is you should ask what is REALLY bothering her. I used to absolutely HATE, WITH A PASSION when my boyfriend *an ex* would take my hair bow away! He would take it so I'd have to wear it down. It pissed me off.. you are probably making her more uncomfortable.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Because it's controlling.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options
    well, i see that some young ladies totally missed your point and are making drama-inspired comments about you being 'controlling' or some such nonsense. i'm old enough to be your mother so i'm going to dispense with the drama.

i think you are a prize. because you think SHE is a treasure.

but she can't see herself through your eyes.

and this is a VERY common problem. you cannot change this, or help her understand, any time soon. it is going to take years. maybe a couple of decades.

i went through it too. after being married to an incredible man for more than 20 years, i read something and it clicked. i can't tell you what i read, or where i read it. but here's what happened:

when my husband told me i was beautiful, i decided to believe him, because I WANTED HIM TO BE RIGHT.

currently she wants the drama/attention more than she wants you to be right.

and i bet you keep having the same conversation over and over. that needs to change. if she wants drama, give her some, but not the same drama you've been giving her. when you give her a compliment, and she blows it off, you can tell her that it hurts you when she dismisses you and makes you feel like your opinion is unimportant. in other words, you need to talk like a female because you are dealing with a female.

if she needs more drama, wait until she gives you a compliment, and then disagree with her and tell her she is cruel for making fun of you.

if that approach is not your style, you could tell her that it makes you hopping mad to hear someone badmouth the woman you love.
    also you might just listen to her rant and then ask her to say something positive about herself. one negative comment costs one positive comment.

in any case she needs to stop this crap before you have children or it will affect them.

sir, i have no patience with drama. it comes from having had two teenage daughters at the same time. (they are both grown now.) thanks for listening to me spout off!

but please don't stop giving her compliments. that would be a bad thing for all parties concerned. and perhaps you could say more things like, 'i love being with you', or, 'i love your generous heart', or something like that, rather than complimenting her appearance. that might help. or you could tweak it a little. change 'i think your hair is nice', to, 'your hair is beautiful, in my opinion.' and she can't argue, because it's an opinion. she can disagree, but not argue. what can she say? 'no, you don't think that?' if she does, see above paragraph about blowing you off. which, by the way, is incredibly disrespectful. how about, 'your hair feels so good when i run my fingers through it.' that's an attention grabber!

good luck and God bless. it's going to be a long road.

Looks like someone picked up their psych degree from the old Cracker Jack box.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I also want to preface that I am in no way a master of the ways of women, and much of what I say is simply my opinion.

Saying "I love you enough to care that you put an effort into looking good because it will make you feel better" is a wonderful turn of mental gymnastics, but it doesn't cover up the point that you want her to look a certain way. So rather than try to be the 'nice guy' offering wisdom for all of these wayward ladies, why don't you just fess up and say you're frustrated because she doesn't meet your expectations of beauty?

DING, DING, DING!!

We have a winner!!!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman who feels more comfortable with my hair pulled back, some jeans, and a t-shirt. If my husband ever threw my hairbands away, and told me that I needed to make myself more presentable, he would not be my husband. Shame on you. She's not your trophy.

Sorry, but after reading that part, I couldn't even make it to the end.

This! And as her husband you should also be telling her that you love her enough that no matter what she does or how she looks you will always love her and want her. If she wants to have a lazy day and and put her hair up and be comfortable that should be ok with you. Being DONE up all the time is exhausting. Are you trying to tell me that on weekends you dont take a break from the razor when you dont have to work?
    Maybe if she felt wanted and accepted by you and loved unconditionally she would not have some self esteem issues
    Granted we are all human and all a little shallow. But that is what love is. Looking past our shallow tendencies to the person beneath the appearance.
    And to be honest you sound a little controlling. Maybe this is her silent way of crying out to have some kind of control over herself even if it is refusing to do her hair everyone once in a while
    My husband used to quietly say sometimes when I would get up on my day off to go run an errand "Are you going to put on some make up?" As I am about to walk out the door. I finally told him in just as nice a voice that if he said that to me one more time he wouldn't like where I put my make up ;-)
    He doesn't say that any more. My body, my choice on how I present myself. And I dont want to wear make up on my days off. Most of the time it is because I am sick and tired of putting it on every single day and want a day OFF!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

You mean, you won't be tossing my rank robe and sweats anytime soon?
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman who feels more comfortable with my hair pulled back, some jeans, and a t-shirt. If my husband ever threw my hairbands away, and told me that I needed to make myself more presentable, he would not be my husband. Shame on you. She's not your trophy.

Sorry, but after reading that part, I couldn't even make it to the end.

^^^What the above poster said.

...and another...^^^ control issues are not going to help you out any.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

That's a shame.

Only if you're a liar. Not everyone is, and unless you know the OP personally, you can't make that call.
    Not necessarily. It's a pattern of behavior.
    OP might actually be sorry once he cools down and realizes he was wrong to do that. It's no guarantee he won't do something similar next time he gets mad.
    And if you get mad over your wife having her hair in a pony tail, well i'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are probably quite short-tempered.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

That's a shame.

Do you know the OP? Cause I would error on side of caution rather than supporting a dude that sounds controlling and self centered.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options

Because it's controlling.

And since we know this couple personally, we know the wife certainly isn't manipulative and controling, lol. Not defending his actions, but he admitted he was wrong, and everyone getting their panties in a twist over something he said was wrong seems to be pointless.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options

You mean, you won't be tossing my rank robe and sweats anytime soon?

Well, only to the floor...