• FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Would this diet make you lose weight?
    Yes
    Is it healthy?
    No
    Why?
    Once you start eating normally you will put all the weight back on. This is why low cal diets fail so much. You need to get your body used to eating less over a period of time and set to lose 1 pound a week. This works but takes longer than the 500 cal a day approach. You are re educating your body and stand a much better chance of keeping the weight off permanently one you hit target. Good luck!
  • phred86
    phred86 Posts: 1
    Options
    The minimum that any adult should consume each is day 1200 calories. So a doctor stating 500 calories would be fine is rather worrying.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well obviously, you can do a very low calorie diet and be okay-- my grandmother was was on something like that but she had gastric bypass, and my aunt takes in that few calories because she has thyroid issues-- so long as you get your proper nutrients but if you don't need to slash your calories that much, why do it? I doubt you'll maintain such low intake. You're better off NOT cutting that many calories-- you'll lose weight slower obviously, but you'll also be able to keep the weight off if you adopt an eating cycle that can be maintained.
  • Nitabug36
    Nitabug36 Posts: 65
    Options
    Ok, I think that is a little extreme.... BUT I fast two days a week (Tuesday and Thursday), I pray for strength on this journey to loose weight. On these two days I make sure I eat very healthy (not saying I don't eat healthy on other days). But this helps me recognize all the other days to be more continuous of what I'm putting in my body... I have been doing this for two weeks now and have lost 3 lbs. I find myself having more will power to eat the right things... I hope this helps you, feel free to add me for support...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    500 calories is what my Pekingese eats daily. And he's a very lazy 9 year old toy breed dog.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Eat less than your body burns in a day. Many recommend eating 20% less.

500 calories is approximately 75% less than the average person burns in a day. NO ONE needs to eat that little to lose weight.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'd let a weird dude in an alley give me a physical before I went to this "doctor".

^^^This. That "doctor" is full of ****
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    500 calories is what my Pekingese eats daily. And he's a very lazy 9 year old toy breed dog.
    ^This is awesome!!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I have mobility issues and I eat 1400 calories a day. I've lost 17 lb since mid-December. You don't have to starve yourself OR exercise OR lift weights to lose weight. You just have to eat less. Admittedly, it comes off faster if you can exercise and/or lift and I look forward to the day that I am cleared to do so.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've never heard a doctor recommend getting 500 cals all day, every day. I haev heard of doing it 2 days a week--the 5:2 fast diet. Its not something I would personally do but I know people that do it.

Go see a licensed dietitian.

A friend of mine, a very good doctor and a successful one (he really is amazing with medicine btw, not a quack at all), suggested that you can go upto 40 days hungry and not die. People can totally go on that diet. He was serious.

"Not die" is a lot different than "live every day as a reasonable person to be around". If you want to be a miserable b**ch/*kitten*, go ahead. But do not expect others to put up with you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Like I said, it's about 75% less than what your body needs to maintain your weight.

Imagine if your boss gave you a 75% pay cut. How long could you keep a normal life?
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have mobility issues also and have lost 8lbs in the past 2 weeks just by counting my calories, making friends who support me on MFP and walking when I can.
    I lost weight on a 500 cal liquid diet spent ££££'s on the stuff (it was NASTY) looked fantastic for about 3 weeks and ended up on MFP .........
    NEED I SAY MORE:smile:
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I think it would be very difficult to get the proper nutrition that your body needs. However, I do know that if you look at the calories of most vegetables, you will be shocked that you can eat so much and have very few calories. But this sounds like you would put your body into starvation mode, which is NEVER good.
This discussion has been closed.