How do you get past the treadmill??

Options
2»

Replies

• Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing, and I think for me, it is a fear of stretching out my stride on the treadmill. I am subconsciously worried about stepping off the belt, either front or back. So my stride is shorter, and my run is not as comfortable. If I really focus on my stride, I can maintain the same pace effortlessly, but it is a mental game.

Edited to add: I am dealing with the crappy ice/snow/melt/refreeze right now as well. Can't wait to get back outside!
  • drblevins
    Options
    I had the same problem. I solved mine by reading a book while using the threadmill. It occupies my mind (the same as paying attention to my surroundings as I run ). Good luck.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill for intervals. I think my issue is I micro adjust my pace outside, and I can't on a treadmill. So don't play its game, switch up your speeds, then get back to distance when your outside.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I run outside in Colorado all winter (down to about -5)... The biggest obstacle for me is the mud on the trails when it warms after snows.

In my experience it usually seems like it will be way worse out than it actually is. Once you get warmed up running in the winter is awesome
  • runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love to run on the trails near our house, but very very often have to run on my treadmill because of childcare issues. I have done a number of 2+ hour runs on the thing. Fortunately, I don't mind the treadmill. I prefer the trails, but the treadmill isn't so bad and it's definitely better than not running at all. Having said that, there are some things I'll do to entertain myself on the treadmill, such as playing with the speed and incline to do intervals or hills. These really help to pass the time. I'll also look at gossipy magazines that I never read otherwise, like People & Us. I like them because there's not really much reading to them, just short little paragraphs, but there's lots of great photos. The photos & the little bit of reading really help me pass the time & really keep me entertained. The miles can fly by when I'm looking at these magazines. My husband likes to place the Kindle on the treadmill and watch tv shows while he runs. He says it makes the run go really quickly. Personally, I have to have music when I run so a tv show won't work for me, but he loves it.
  • cljabusc
    cljabusc Posts: 48
    Options
    i put my earphones in, and have music that makes me feel like a boss chick. when i start to focus on how uncomfortable I am and how much it hurts, I turn my music up a notch... and pretty soon its blasting and I can't even focus on the pain and just focus on the loud beat and lyrics...works for me....

-do so at your own risk though.... we all know earphones pose a danger of hearing loss :S

edit to add: a gym I went to previously had a running track. and that was awesome cuz i would count my laps and run past the hunks doing their weights... :)
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't mind running on the treadmill - although I prefer outside - but I have the same problem with speed.

After lots of self-study - I found I take shorter steps on the treadmill. I am taking just as many steps and my heart-rate is the same but stride is shorter.

Maybe I'm wrong - but for now I just don't worry about it. I'll get outside soon enough and I'll be faster. My stride naturally lengthens and I'm faster without any additional effort.

To make the time pass quicker, I watch Netflix on my tablet. I have one show reserved for treadmill run days. I actually look forward to watching it because it is something I won't let my kids watch and can't regularly see :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Know that feel. Check around at your local gyms and recreation centers, and find one that has a running track. It's not as great as outside, but it's infinitely better than a treadmill.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm ocd so I have some quirky things to get me through it.
    I sweat a lot so I wipe my face only every 5 minutes. I know it's odd but it keeps me going to finish that segment of 5 minutes.
    Music, I have to have music to keep my speed up and it has to have a faster beat than the pace I'm running at or be at least close to it.
    I can't stand to read but I'll watch movies on my laptop. It's hard for me to get into my pace though.
    I printed some pics from a vacation to Hawaii and put them on the wall in front of the treadmill. I also have it placed in front of a window.
    I chew gum.
    Drink a sip of water at 1/2 mile intervals.
    Use chapstick after 1 mile.
    Keep track of my cals burned with an HRM.
    I plan a nice meal (healthy) that I know I can look forward to later in the day. That inspires me to keep going and to run harder, longer.
    If I'm at the gym, I run faster than the people around me. hehe
    I pretend I'm somewhere else, like my fave trail instead.
    I tell myself how glad I'll be when I'm done.
    Just starting intervals, but that may help you. I'm doing intervals with incline also.
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I put a tv in front of the treadmill. Cover the display up and just go. I pick the pace to begin and don't let myself to change it unless I want to go harder. I also love to interval train. My treadmill beeps when changing the pace so I still don't have to see the display to know the change is coming. I also use the nike+ app which keeps track of my monthly totals both on treadmill and outside. It gives "badges" for beating your past records. I find it pretty motivational which I beat my fastest 5k time or up my average minute per mile.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If it is not 60 degrees or hotter I don't run. I have a treadmill not even 6 steps from my bed and walk pass it every morning, :laugh: However, when I do get on it I do 20 to 30 min 30 sec intervals on speeds 3 & 8. Hope that helps! COME ON MOTHER NATURE, I am so ready for SPRING!:bigsmile:
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been running mostly on my treadmill because for starters, where we live there are dirt roads and no sidewalks (or running tracks for that matter). Plus, with it being winter there is too much snow/ice out there and it simply isn't a very safe option right now. So, I have put my treadmill near a huge window so I can see outside, get fresh air, sunshine, etc. I play my running music and just zone out while watching the outdoors.

This also works well for me in the summertime... and no mosquitoes either, LOL
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    Speed/incline intervals! Love them! (I too am in the middle of the dreaded freeze/melt/freeze zone and my neighbor recently suffered some serious road rash from a spill on the ice while running).

Here's my routine (minutes/MPH/%incline) which includes HIIT for the first 20 minutes, followed by a break, then a steady-state run at an easy pace for another 30 minutes.

2/4.5/0
    1/4.5/4.5
    2/5/0
    1/5/5
    2/5/0
    1/6/6
    2/5/0
    1/7/whatever I can - sometimes it's just zero at this pace
    2/5/0
    1/7/whatever I can - sometimes it's just zero at this pace
    2/5/0

Break - 5 minutes, walking at 3.5pmh, no incline

Then: steady state run for as long as I want at 5mph, 2.5% incline.

Mud season is nearly upon us and I can't wait to hit the trails (this is why I do the incline intervals, I live in a VERY hilly area and love to run the mountain trails!)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I run outside in Colorado all winter (down to about -5)... The biggest obstacle for me is the mud on the trails when it warms after snows.

In my experience it usually seems like it will be way worse out than it actually is. Once you get warmed up running in the winter is awesome

Pass, but winter here can mean -15 with wind chills in the -40 to -60 range. Most of January was pretty bad. Being able to work out indoors is a necessity.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thread! It has given me many ideas!

To add...I have a youtube playlist that I listen to/watch on my phone. I also do intervals and little challenges ("can I make it x mins at y speed??" or "this speed till the end of the video).

Can't wait for the roads to be more clear (and in my case the sun to be up later since I jog in the evening and don't like to be out alone when it's dark).
  • runner1609
    runner1609 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love running outside. I do SO Much better running outside. I can go farther faster than on the treadmill. But since I live in a northern climate, my outside running days are few and far between. So I have a treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the option. But I'm having either a mental issue with it or ??? But I can barely keep up to a 12 min/mile for 2 miles on a treadmill, but outside I can't slow DOWN to a 12 minute mile for 2.5 miles! How do I get past this mental block on the treadmill so that I can keep my endurance up?

Check out the website Jeff Galloway. His run/walk method is GREAT! I run 4 mintues, walk 1 minute. By doing this I am able to have a recovery period and still have a good average pace. I improved my 1/2 marathon time by 20 minutes by following this method.
    I too have a treadmil but prefer running outside but when it's cold & dark outside I just make myself do it. If my run isn't as good as outside, it's better than nothing.
    Good luck.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm ocd so I have some quirky things to get me through it.
    I sweat a lot so I wipe my face only every 5 minutes. I know it's odd but it keeps me going to finish that segment of 5 minutes.
    Music, I have to have music to keep my speed up and it has to have a faster beat than the pace I'm running at or be at least close to it.
    I can't stand to read but I'll watch movies on my laptop. It's hard for me to get into my pace though.
    I printed some pics from a vacation to Hawaii and put them on the wall in front of the treadmill. I also have it placed in front of a window.
    I chew gum.
    Drink a sip of water at 1/2 mile intervals.
    Use chapstick after 1 mile.
    Keep track of my cals burned with an HRM.
    I plan a nice meal (healthy) that I know I can look forward to later in the day. That inspires me to keep going and to run harder, longer.
    If I'm at the gym, I run faster than the people around me. hehe
    I pretend I'm somewhere else, like my fave trail instead.
    I tell myself how glad I'll be when I'm done.
    Just starting intervals, but that may help you. I'm doing intervals with incline also.

You aren't the only one. I go to Planet Fitness which has an express workout area with a red/green light. It's green for one minute and then red for thirty seconds. I know to run 3 miles on the treadmill at 5.2, I need to run for 23 cycles of that light. Keeping my mind distracted counting (and glaring at the light when I don't think it is changing fast enough) helps me through it. Although I do have the opposite problem when I do get outside. I go too fast and then burn myself out. I have yet to figure out how to slow myself down to the right pace outside. Someday...