Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Seriously, everyone. Diet sodas are FULL of Dihydrogen Monoxide, a dangerous and potentially lethal chemical. There are so many reasons why it is bad for you.

Source: http://www.dhmo.org/
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    some uncertainty associated with scientific conclusions; science never absolutely proves anything.
    you're putting words in my mouth, and theirs. look at the quote i posted for reference.

I did not put words in their mouth. The words that I italicized imply exactly what I was talking about. This is the reason why both areas of science exist in the first place. They act as a counter-measure to each other. Controlled studies are used to support the findings of correlative studies. If the results of those studies are not in accordance with each other, then the theories are ruled out.

You seriously lack in reading comprehension. I'm sorry... but if you base your beliefs on correlative data alone, then you are making assumptions.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Seriously, everyone. Diet sodas are FULL of Dihydrogen Monoxide, a dangerous and potentially lethal chemical. There are so many reasons why it is bad for you.

Source: http://www.dhmo.org/

Funny man
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink it some is probably ok. If you want the long answer request coach as a friend and pm him to find out he'll have a lot to say about it .
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here and walk away... cause... I'm kind of bored.

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Q: Is diet pop REALLY that bad for you????

A: if you are orthorexic, yes. if you are sane, no.
  • Rob777com
    Rob777com Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No it will not frock up your fro! Sugary drinks do though...
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    alright how about THIS:

If you are open to the world of holistic medicine, and see value in it, then you will likely feel that there are issues with aspartame, and will, thus, stay away from diet sodas.

If you subscribe only to the things that have been officially proven through published scientific studies, and discount the value of holistic medicine, you will likely feel that aspartame is 100% safe.

OP: which category do you fall under?

Everyone else: we can stop arguing now because no one will convince anyone else they're wrong. Sound good?

Helpful summary of the above...

I reject your science based reality and substitute my holistic reality.

So there!

exactly. to each their own.

393-The-good-thing-about-science-is-that-its-true-whether-or-not-you-believe-in-it-Neil-DeGrasse-Tyson-quotes-science-reality-truth.jpg

it's so funny because i'm a huge fan of Tyson, but I'm not sure he's a nutritional scientist now is he? (in fact with that quote he's probably referring to climate change and/or space!)

Wait....so the scientific method changes depending on the type of science you are practicing?

also, this was in response to your 'for each their own' approach to science that you stated above.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In England we call it pop
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    LOL. Good luck UTBH. My experience tells me you aren't going to get anywhere with the, "something is either absolutely certain or absolutely uncertain" crowd. I've had to deal with this stuff when 'proving' to various degrees whether certain phenotypes match particular inheritance patterns in snakes. (And therefore we should treat them as if they are until/unless further evidence gives us reason to reconsider.) Same with determining that a snake is 99.98% likely to not be carrying a particular genetic defect. That 99.98% certainty means, "you don't know, so testing is the same as not testing," to many people.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    LOL. Good luck UTBH. My experience tells me you aren't going to get anywhere with the, "something is either absolutely certain or absolutely uncertain" crowd. I've had to deal with this stuff when 'proving' to various degrees whether certain phenotypes match particular inheritance patterns in snakes. (And therefore we should treat them as if they are until/unless further evidence gives us reason to reconsider.) Same with determining that a snake is 99.98% likely to not be carrying a particular genetic defect. That 99.98% certainty means, "you don't know, so testing is the same as not testing," to many people.

I get that.
    When a woman tells me there's a 99.98% chance she'd never sleep with me, all I can think is "YES! There IS a chance!"
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have seen plenty of research that has been replicated many times indicating that the more artificial sweeteners you use, the more likely you will develop Type II diabetes at some point and that, because the sugars are not simple but chemically altered, your kidney must work harder as well as other organs. I believe that as little as one drink a day increases your chances drastically have having diabetes and they have also shown that people are much less satisfied with low-sugar/healthier meals when they have artificial sugars on a regular basis - therefor they lean towards sweeter and fattier foods.
    All this being said: Treat yourself maybe once a week if the motivation helps you to try harder to avoid those sweeter/fattier foods and keep in mind that - despite some research indicating that your chances of diabetes goes up just as much if you are skinnier versus fatter - the skinnier you are, the chances of diabetes does down.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would like to introduce new research. Aspartame was approved for use in 1981. The average life expectancy has risen from 74 to 78.

Drink your diet soda everyone, Aspartame will extend your life! That's a diet coke my guy is holding.

:drinker:

Oh cripes...I don't actually drink diet soda...better start drinking it stat!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    All I know is it sure tastes BAD. I dont drink enough soda to worry about it either way but if I'm in the mood for one it will be the real thing :drinker:
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In the north of England we call it pop

Fixed that for you ;) [Seriously, doing a study in dialect and regional language variations with one of my tutees and pop/soda/soft drink/fizzy drink was one of the main things that cropped up...]

I love reading these threads with my daily can of Diet something. :)
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yeah your above post isn't more accurate than my college textbooks... lol

I'm sorry... did you actually read them?

I'm in a research class right now... honor roll student... and what you are saying is complete BS. You are wrong!
    This is from a letter signed by 255 National Academy of Sciences members, including 11 Nobel laureates. It's about climate change but includes one very important line:

"We are deeply disturbed by the recent escalation of political assaults on scientists in general and on climate scientists in particular. All citizens should understand some basic scientific facts. There is always some uncertainty associated with scientific conclusions; science never absolutely proves anything. When someone says that society should wait until scientists are absolutely certain before taking any action, it is the same as saying society should never take action. For a problem as potentially catastrophic as climate change, taking no action poses a dangerous risk for our planet."

Ah... see I don't believe in climate change either... except that I believe that it has been proven to change... because you know... it's nature and it does that. Does man have an impact... if so, then the impact is negligible. Suggesting anything beyond that falls just short of saying that man can control nature... which has been proven that he can't.

So... controlled studies have their potential for error that can be controlled and essentially minimized, but qualitative studies have a tremendous potential for bias considering that it is highly unlikely that the participants of those studies ONLY consumed aspartame products. Therefore, the potential harmful effects can potentially be linked to other perpetuating factors.

You know, I've said all this before. Honestly, if I could link you to my text book, I would. But you know, climate change really is derailing the thread, and referring to another conspiracy topic doesn't really prove your point on this topic.

He's not derailing the thread (although others certainly try to do that on a regular basis from what I've seen). He posted that paragraph so you could see the bolded sentence.
  • rodow
    rodow Posts: 26
    Options

Wait, you buy special organic soap that specifically and organically designed to clean organic feces off of your organic fruit and vegetables?

Are you a smurf?

For the win!!!!
    LMAO
    :laugh:
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    "Science CAN prove things."

No. You need a bit of philosophy of science. It is not a criticism of science to say that it cannot "prove" anything--it is inherent in the need of science to have basic assumptions. Saying that does not mean that we can't accept some conclusions without absolute proof. It is probably unwise for my friend to reject the idea that his arsenic-laced water is harming him. There is a lot of scientific work that suggests that tiny amounts of arsenic ingested over a number of years may cause bowel cancer.

I believe you are referencing Splenda here. Splenda is a sugar combined with chlorine. Not arsenic. :wink:

Coincidentally, chlorine is also in your salt... and it's not the part that makes you blood pressure go up.

He was talking about arsenic in his friend's well.
  • alohaville
    alohaville Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree... I drink diet drinks too. I have curbed my intake though and have replaced it with Chia seeds and MiO. I love Chia seeds. Low in calories and packed with nutrition and fiber. Chia seeds curb my appetite and yesterday I had only 1300 calories and felt great!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can't drink them often. I don't eat sweets and when I drink diet soda, it makes me crave sweets like no one's business. The cravings are far worse if I drink the diet soda (or eat anything sweet) in the morning or early afternoon because I have the rest of the day to want sugar. If I want a diet drink at dinner I am more apt to do so because I do better. By the time i realize I am craving more sweets it is time to go to bed.

I used to eat one of those little dove chocolate squares a day and can't do it anymore for the same reason.

Jenna have you tried Green & Black's organic 70% (or 80%) dark chocolate? I have three of the 70% little squares without setting me off. Three squares is 60 calories. It isn't very sweet but helps with the chocolate urge. The Dove chocolate does contain some unnatural ingredients and maybe between that and the sugar it sets you off. Worth a try.
    I second the Green & Black's! I am NOT a fan of dark chocolate. I like the Dove OK but I LOVE the Green & Black's. I eat the 85% and it tastes to me like chocolate cheesecake or mousse. It's very rich and a little goes a long way. It's one sweet I can have in my house and just eat a little at a time. SO GOOD.

I don't like any other dark.