No carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for over a year. Lost lots of pounds. I loved it, but I'm now ready to add carbs back in. Have I gained all the weight back like some on here said? No. Have I gained any back? No. I am back to calorie counting and am still losing. Just peeked at the scale today and am down another 2. do what you want and what makes you feel good. Low carb doesn't mean all you eat is greasy bacon and sausage. I had lots of salads, lettuce wraps, turkey burgers minus the bun, ect. There is an array of things to eat. If you have any questions, message me!
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well I have gained muscle and lost fat on Atkins, I still carp the same time every day as I did before low carb I just don't need a cup of coffee in the morning now to kick start it.

My energy is amazing, I backpacked over 72 miles of the flipping AP for days doing only 40-50 carbs a day.

I lost weight on low calories to but after I stopped losing low carb did it for me. I don't see me KILLING it is the gym every day so I can keep my calories in check and up to par so I can still lose weight so I did what worked. Low carb worked but no carb I have not tried I don't think I need to cut out anything completely. It not easy to make that a life style either life low carb or counting calories.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    below is something I cut from Web MD... Low carbs can be dangerous... Note: Read last paragraph

What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?

High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

High cholesterol. It is well known that high-protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High-protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete a large amount of calcium in their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones. A diet that increases protein at the expense of a very restrictive intake of plant carbohydrates may be bad for bones, but not necessarily a high-protein intake alone.

Cancer. One of the reasons high-protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.
  • Kate1217
    Kate1217 Posts: 13
    Options
    Low carb works for me. I did try the almost no carb Dukan diet once but felt like crap. High protein helps to stabilize the blood sugar so I'm less apt to graze or overeat and when paired with low glycemic vegetables I feel satiated and have energy.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Wow OP, such a simple question you asked turns into this. In on 100 page thread.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be a distinction between "low/no carb" fad diet and an eating plan where your carbs just happen to be on the low end. E.g., paleo or primal. I eat meat, fish, chicken, veggies, nuts, and berries - while eliminating processed foods and refined/processed sugars from my diet. My carbs tend to be around 50g with sugars around 25-35g.

No carb = not fun; nearly impossible; not healthy.
    Low carb can be healthy if done correctly. I can't imagine eating whole fresh food is unhealthy just because it happens to be low carb.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why??:huh:

I just do not get the Carb Hate.:grumble:

Unless you have a medical condition.:ohwell:

I have lost my weight on 40-60% Carbs.:drinker:

QFT :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how so many people think eliminating crabs from their diet is a good idea. Wouldn't a good macro balance be much more beneficial for you fitness and goals than these crazy carbless diets?

There is plenty of good information out there on how low carb can benefit people who have had issues with diet compliance. Google is your friend.

How does avoiding yummy food help with compliance? I don't think most people could stick to a diet that didn't include their favorites.

This is what I found when I asked Google the same question:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15800559
    BACKGROUND: Extremely low carbohydrate/high protein diets are popular methods of weight loss. Compliance with these diets is poor and long-term effectiveness and the safety of these diets for patients with type 2 diabetes is not known.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    carbs are necessary for brain function...nuf said.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    No carbs....silly and virtually impossible to follow, but if low carbs works for you have at er. Personally, my body responds better to lower carb levels, but that is just me. Its all about finding something that works for you.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried a diet with no carbs have any success stories?'

Gimmick.

And why would you even think about it.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Your body need glucose in plentiful supplies or it will die. The easiest/best source is from carbs. If you totally elminate carbs, your body will be forced to convert other things into glucuse using a process called gluconeogenesis. This is a lot of work for your body. This might work out if you laid in bed all day, but your body can't do gluconeogenesis effiently enough to fuel exercise. Therefore, if you plan to give up carbs, plan to also give up all forms of exercise too.

As someone who has gone from being insulin resistant and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in advanced state to now being 100% free of diabetes and off all meds and back to near normal levels of insulin sensitivity, I'm here to tell you that carbs are your weight loss and healthy living friends.

The keys are:
    * High-quality carbs (e.g., brown rice, whole grains, etc. versus white bread pasta and twinkies)
    * Evenly-spaced carbs (e.g., moderate amounts of carbs 5-6 times a day in meals/snacks, not a "carb bomb" dinner)

Most American's eat low-quality carbs, and they have "carb bomb" meals where they consume a disproportionaly large amount all at once. The result is high spikes and drops in blood sugar. Eating like this over time creates insulin resistance as your body tries to cope. Some studies estimate that as much as 60% of Americans have some level of insulin resistance. Many will progress to diabetes.

GOOD NEWS: Carbs are your key to creating stable blood sugar and stable supply of energy throughout your day. Eat a small-moderate amount of high-quality carbs in each meal all day to keep your blood sugar in the "fat burning zone" between 72-120 mg/dL. This will accelerate fat loss. If you are a woman, that means that to be effective a snack should have about 15-18 net carbs and you should have around 160-210 net carbs by the end of the day (net carb is total carbs minus fiber). For example, daily total could be 225 carbs, but when you subtract fiber, its 190 net carbs.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    No carbs is also no fiber. It means no vegetables, no legumes, no fruit, as well as no grains nor sugars. Often times, when people say low-carb or no-carb they mean restricting grains and cutting out sugars.

I do between 25%-35% carbs, most of which is vegetables and legumes.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

If you mean dietary carbs, you're wrong.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

If you mean dietary carbs, you're wrong.

I need some carbs so I can process the ridiculousness that is this thread! :yawn:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ah, the good old steak and vitamin supplement diet.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Not no carbs, but I'm a low carber, have been for several years now. I get 50 or less carbs per day. I feel energetic, and happy eating this way. It works well for me.
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You will lose it fast but gain it just as fast when you go back to the way you ate. Do not do a no carb diet, Best is a change in lifestyle to a low carb, your body needs the carbs so do minimal intake and stay that way and you will do great.

Yes, because no one that loses weight counting calories gains back the weight.

If you go back to eating the way you did before the weight loss you'll gain it back whether it's calories or carbs you're counting.

I'm doing LCHF staying around 5% or 20 net carbs. I think it would be impossible to go no carb since even an egg has some carbs.
  • ArmyMomPaula
    Options
    Only if you call a gallbladder attack and surgery to remove the darn thing a success story! (ho ho ho!) :D

Obviously didn't work for me, and my doc gave me quite the look when I explained I was doing Atkins instead of following the balanced and responsible diet guidelines she gave me. ;)