How much sugar grams is to much

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons for cutting out as much refined sugar as possible is because sugar has no nutritional value. If you can eat an orange or apple instead of refined sugar, you will not only get the carb energy you need, but will also get some vitamin C and other vitamins as well. Plus fiber, which will fill you up, causing you to eat less.

Sugar is a carb hence its nutritional value. It is also used to restore glycogen levels.
    HFCS are metabolized differently than sugars. The liver is taxed to work harder when metabolizing HFCS. HFCS is not for human consumption.

Consumption of sucrose and high fructose corn syrup does not increase liver fat or ectopic fat deposition in muscles

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2012-0322

Edited to fix quotes.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    not all carbs are processed the same way by the body. nor do we get the same amount and type of energy from all carbs. you oversimplify.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Enough. OP question is about how much sugar is too much. Magerum says "a reasonable amount". CoachReddy says "less is more."

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

He actually didn't say that.

Magerum - how much sugar DO you feel is too much?

That's a completely different answer based on the individual and their goals. Whatever doesn't fit into your individual macro plan is a generic answer. I keep mine around 200g when eating 4000 daily. 135ish when eating 3500. Which is about 20% of my intake.

From the American Heart Association:
    A prudent upper limit of intake is half of the discretionary calorie allowance, which for most American women is no more than 100 calories per day and for most American men is no more than 150 calories per day from added sugars.

That means no more than 37g of added sugars for men, and 25g for women.

You can trust the AHA or you can go with magerum and his 200g/day
  • magerum
    Options
    Enough. OP question is about how much sugar is too much. Magerum says "a reasonable amount". CoachReddy says "less is more."

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

That's a completely different answer based on the individual and their goals. Whatever doesn't fit into your individual macro plan is a generic answer. I keep mine around 200g when eating 4000 daily. 135ish when eating 3500. Which is about 20% of my intake.

A prudent upper limit of intake is half of the discretionary calorie allowance, which for most American women is no more than 100 calories per day and for most American men is no more than 150 calories per day from added sugars.

Based on your own argument... MY discretionary intake is about 2000 calories a day, based on exercise level and 4000 calorie daily intake to maintain. Which would be 1000 calories of sugar intake, which is 250 g. Which in turn is more than I consume at 200 g.

Thank you for making my point.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

Great point Reddy. Perhaps I should clarify that NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK AND YOU NEED TO STOP DERAILING THREADS WITH YOUR PETTY AND JUVENILE ARGUMENTS. THE OP DOESN'T DESERVE IT AND YOU ARE NOT BEING HELPFUL. I hope this clarifies my earlier point.
    With love,
    Burt
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

Great point Reddy. Perhaps I should clarify that NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK AND YOU NEED TO STOP DERAILING THREADS WITH YOUR PETTY AND JUVENILE ARGUMENTS. THE OP DOESN'T DESERVE IT AND YOU ARE NOT BEING HELPFUL. I hope this clarifies my earlier point.
    With love,
    Burt

pretty sure this thread hasn't been derailed. we're talking about how much sugar is too much, correct?
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    pretty sure this thread hasn't been derailed. we're talking about how much sugar is too much, correct?

Again, petty, juvenile arguing.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's the refined added sugars you need to limit.

Can you explain why you state that?

listen dude, we know you love pop tarts, but cutting down on sugar is NOT a bad thing to do - it can ONLY be good for you as long as you're reasonable. why come in here and start putting down other peoples' choices while they're trying to get healthy?

I am no way putting down other peoples choices. I am trying to discourage spreading of propaganda and old wives tales. Also trying to explain to people that there's one less thing they need to worry about if they don't have a specific medical reason to worry about it. I also never said it was a bad thing.

Fear mongering over sugar isn't necessary.

TA DA!!!!
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

perfect!!! I agree
  • candieprayz
    candieprayz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All this talk about Sugar makes me want to go work out! :huh:
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Reddy provides the OP with an actual number, not from anecdotal experience but from the AHA, and he gets blamed for derailing the thread?
  • DrAliSharif
    DrAliSharif Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

Based on your own argument... MY discretionary intake is about 2000 calories a day, based on exercise level and 4000 calorie daily intake to maintain. Which would be 1000 calories of sugar intake, which is 250 g. Which in turn is more than I consume at 200 g.

Thank you for making my point.

Can you show us studies not performed by one single man at one department back in 1991. Please show me replications of these data from this decade?
  • magerum
    Options
    Reddy provides the OP with an actual number, not from anecdotal experience but from the AHA, and he gets blamed for derailing the thread?

Not sure about the derailing, but I did provide quite a few sources and justification for my numbers based on his own arguments.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Your sugar intake should be based on your weight and gender.

I am to have 6g or less a day of refined sugar.
    and 100g or less of natural sugar.

Sugar addiction is as powerful and as dangerous a cocaine addiction.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    can you tell me, for each study, who paid to have it conducted?

here we go with the tin foil hat again.....
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

Good points both.

With love,
    Burt

With love,
    Burt

I care what Reddy has to say. Reddy is one of about four people on here who actually understand the body. And he is nice enough to share it. And he never trolls like some do (ehem). I look at what some of you guys say and it makes me mad you try to mislead people on purpose. Not only that but your confusion over how things work in the body shock me. And you give people a hard time who are trying to help others and who actually provide research and documentation. Reddy is a great asset to any thread.
  • magerum
    Options
    Your sugar intake should be based on your weight and gender.

I am to have 6g or less a day of refined sugar.
    and 100g or less of natural sugar.

Sugar addiction is as powerful and as dangerous a cocaine addiction.

Ridiculous. Way to edit out your nonsense sources. :drinker:
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

Answering an OP's question is great. This however, is a pissing match, which is what things turn into every time he participates in a thread.

Edited to expound: His first contribution to this thread was "can you tell me, for each study, who paid to have it conducted?" Is it clearer now precisely when and how this turned into a pissing match, rather than a thread about sugar?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Answering an OP's question is great. This however, is a pissing match, which is what things turn into every time he participates in a thread.

Edited to expound: His first contribution to this thread was "can you tell me, for each study, who paid to have it conducted?" Is it clearer now precisely when and how this turned into a pissing match, rather than a thread about sugar?

it becomes more of a pissing match each time you keep it going. :wink:

I was simply asking a question that didn't get answered