Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda....................for over 25 years.....................my genetics trump pseudoscience.

That or the correlation of diet soda and health issues really are just correlations.

Time for a can of Diet Pepsi now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda....................for over 25 years.....................my genetics trump pseudoscience.

That or the correlation of diet soda and health issues really are just correlations.

IDEA Fitness member

I am enjoying a nice can of generic diet cola with my dinner, which incidentally consists entirely of frozen food.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one to appreciate the irony of someone arguing that science is far far away from being able to establish a causal relationship in matters of nutrition, all the while being so certain that diet soda causes health problems.

He really really loves science when it appears to suggest that something he already believes is true.

But when it comes to confirming things he doesn't like, he's the ultimate skeptic.

hmm... i'm learning all sorts of new things about myself. we should chat more so i can really get to know me better.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You know. I still drink Dr. Pepper but less than what I drank before. With me, as long as I drink my water I am good.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one to appreciate the irony of someone arguing that science is far far away from being able to establish a causal relationship in matters of nutrition, all the while being so certain that diet soda causes health problems.

He really really loves science when it appears to suggest that something he already believes is true.

But when it comes to confirming things he doesn't like, he's the ultimate skeptic.

Truer words may not have ever been spoken.

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No, diet pop/soda isn't that bad for you. Not at all.

It's much, much WORSE!
  • jonnythan
    Options

hmm... i'm learning all sorts of new things about myself. we should chat more so i can really get to know me better.

Feel free to PM me. I'd love to tell you more about yourself if you want ;)
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You should stop drinking Diet Pepsi right now.

You should drink Coke Zero. Tastes so much better, and I own shares of Coca-Cola in my retirement fund. You'll be helping me retire that much sooner.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Correlations? of course that's all they are. I never said aspartame definitively caused anything. (you can check). but as long as there's a correlation, that means there is a POSSIBLE (regardless of how small you believe it to be) risk.

So as long as there's a RISK they could be harmful - no matter how large or small - it makes zero logical sense to drink them.

but again, to each his or her own, which is what my initial post in this thread stated.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

Finally, a sensible response. If it's not found in nature, most likely it's not good for you.
    Why risk it if you're concerned about your health? If not, go ahead and drink artificial sweeteners every day. It's your body.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would like to introduce new research. Aspartame was approved for use in 1981. The average life expectancy has risen from 74 to 78.

Drink your diet soda everyone, Aspartame will extend your life! That's a diet coke my guy is holding.

:drinker:

Oh cripes...I don't actually drink diet soda...better start drinking it stat!
    My grandmother never drank it and she's 97, so the argument is invalid.

:wink:

Phew!

Genetics
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You should stop drinking Diet Pepsi right now.

You should drink Coke Zero. Tastes so much better, and I own shares of Coca-Cola in my retirement fund. You'll be helping me retire that much sooner.

Diet Pepsi is awful. Diet Coke is the bomb.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Correlations? of course that's all they are. I never said aspartame definitively caused anything. (you can check). but as long as there's a correlation, that means there is a POSSIBLE (regardless of how small you believe it to be) risk.

So as long as there's a RISK they could be harmful - no matter how large or small - it makes zero logical sense to drink them.

but again, to each his or her own, which is what my initial post in this thread stated.

So by that rationale you should become a pirate in order to prevent global warming.

piratesarecool4.jpg
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Some people can't eat wheat.
    Some people can't eat nuts.
    Some can't have alcohol.
    And some can't tolerate Aspartame.

If it feels good do it, if it doesn't....don't.

And me- I would never give up my coffee.

What she said!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

So by that rationale you should become a pirate in order to prevent global warming.

piratesarecool4.jpg

I still say this is my favorite "study".

PS.

Coke > Pepsi
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

Finally, a sensible response. If it's not found in nature, most likely it's not good for you.
    Why risk it if you're concerned about your health? If not, go ahead and drink artificial sweeteners every day. It's your body.

We've been walking barefoot in the woods and dying of the bacterial plague for thousands of years too. I don't think Nikes or Cipro are found in nature, but here we are relying on them.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm going to leave my unhealthy house with all of it's processed wood and go to the gym. I will lift my weights made of rubber and concrete that were not lifted in the paleo lithic era. I will be listening to my ipod made of its man made harmful chemical silicone structure. I'll probly even drink unfiltered water from the water fountain.

I want this thread of to at least 15 pages when I get back.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

Did the computer you typed this on grow on a tree?
    http://weightology.net/thehealthsleuth/?p=139
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Exactly. Exactly. And in addition . . . there are anecdotal stories regarding aspartame negatively effecting health, and there are some studies that raise enough concern to conduct more studies. Why do people defend something that has all the ear marks of being the next big oooooops in our history of thinking something is okay and then realizing later it's toxic. Look at cigarettes for instance. We were told they were harmless for soooooo long. Yeah right.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

piratesarecool4.jpg

except that becoming a pirate involves personal risk. not drinking diet soda has absolutely no personal risk. not a great analogy.