Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

This. I'm perfectly fine and I drink 1-2 a day. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't have any water consumption throughout the day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would like to introduce new research. Aspartame was approved for use in 1981. The average life expectancy has risen from 74 to 78.

Drink your diet soda everyone, Aspartame will extend your life! That's a diet coke my guy is holding.

:drinker:

Oh cripes...I don't actually drink diet soda...better start drinking it stat!
    My grandmother never drank it and she's 97, so the argument is invalid.

:wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would like to introduce new research. Aspartame was approved for use in 1981. The average life expectancy has risen from 74 to 78.

Drink your diet soda everyone, Aspartame will extend your life! That's a diet coke my guy is holding.

:drinker:

Oh cripes...I don't actually drink diet soda...better start drinking it stat!
    My grandmother never drank it and she's 97, so the argument is invalid.

:wink:

Phew!
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

This. I'm perfectly fine and I drink 1-2 a day. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't have any water consumption throughout the day.

Are you counting your diet drinks as water? You still need at least 8 eight oz cups of water in addition to any other liquids.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Are you counting your diet drinks as water? You still need at least 8 eight oz cups of water in addition to any other liquids.

No you do not. Where do you get that from?
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    yes it sure is, nutra sweet can cause migraines. it is better to drink regular coke or tea with no sugar. artifical sweetners are linked to cancer, migraine headaches etc

Migraines, yes. Aspartame is a common trigger. So are bananas.

Cancer?? I don't think there is evidence of this.

There was a study done on lab rats that is always cited to support this claim. In order to drink as much sweetener as they gave the rats, you'd probably drown before you'd catch cancer.

Not to mention that rats get tumors. It's what they do best. Well, that and scurry.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I feel like every study I've ever read about artificial sweeteners being bad for you have been like, "maybe, we think so, possibly, but maybe not". I like diet coke and drink it maybe a few times a month because I've developed a preference for water. But I honestly don't feel any different after drinking it.

That is the way science works. It can never "prove" anything. Evidence that is obtained from scientific studies "suggests" "supports the hypothesis", etc.

i tried telling these folks that very thing a couple days ago and they wouldn't believe it. lol

No, you tried telling us that science can't establish causation. Then I tried to teach you about control studies. Then you posted some stuff by Hume about "proving" this or that. It didn't make much sense and I got a warning or something about it.

You tried to pass off correlation as causation and you made a big error. You told us you're not a scientist or a researcher.

So, yeah.

I said science cannot prove causation. which is true. it can only prove an extremely high likelihood of causation. Not the same thing.

This is moving the goalposts. You mistook correlation for causation. When called on it, you retreated and basically said that science can't prove anything anyway.

You were wrong then and you still are wrong now. Science can indeed establish causation, and, indeed, prove it to reasonable certainty.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I feel like every study I've ever read about artificial sweeteners being bad for you have been like, "maybe, we think so, possibly, but maybe not". I like diet coke and drink it maybe a few times a month because I've developed a preference for water. But I honestly don't feel any different after drinking it.

That is the way science works. It can never "prove" anything. Evidence that is obtained from scientific studies "suggests" "supports the hypothesis", etc.

i tried telling these folks that very thing a couple days ago and they wouldn't believe it. lol

No, you tried telling us that science can't establish causation. Then I tried to teach you about control studies. Then you posted some stuff by Hume about "proving" this or that. It didn't make much sense and I got a warning or something about it.

You tried to pass off correlation as causation and you made a big error. You told us you're not a scientist or a researcher.

So, yeah.

I said science cannot prove causation. which is true. it can only prove an extremely high likelihood of causation. Not the same thing.

yes it can. see my above post.

yeah your above post isn't more accurate than my college textbooks... lol

You flatly stated that you are not a scientist or a researcher. Are you now saying you have formal education on the principles of research? I find that extremely unlikely.
  • jonnythan
    Options

So, yeah.

This is moving the goalposts. You mistook correlation for causation. When called on it, you retreated and basically said that science can't prove anything anyway.

You were wrong then and you still are wrong now. Science can indeed establish causation, and, indeed, prove it to reasonable certainty.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

So, yeah.

You flatly stated that you are not a scientist or a researcher. Are you now saying you have formal education on the principles of research? I find that extremely unlikely.

i took a few science classes and a logic class, yeah. pretty standard. and re: your last post, we actually agree, since you said "reasonable certainty" which is correct. I've always been arguing that science can't prove absolute certainty.

with gravity, it's as close as it gets to absolute certainty.

with nutrition... it's way, way further away.
  • jonnythan
    Options

So, yeah.

i took a few science classes and a logic class, yeah. pretty standard. and re: your last post, we actually agree, since you said "reasonable certainty" which is correct. I've always been arguing that science can't prove absolute certainty.

I don't think taking a few science classes and a logic class qualifies you to make such judgments about science.

Anyway, that is not what you've been arguing. Well, you revert to arguing it every time someone calls you out on your ludicrous claim that science cannot establish causation. You also revert to saying that it's just nutritional science, not all science.

You make so many claims it's hard to keep up! You mistook correlation for causation; then said that science can't prove causation. It can. You just refuse to admit that you made a mistake. So be it.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've recently cut back my diet soda and low cal energy drinks for two reasons:
    1. The cost
    2. I tend to drink soda/energy drinks over water and my water amount has been suffering.

I would never cut it out completely and really don't care what the "research" says.
  • rach702
    rach702 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I agree with this*

* I am not part of any gang, clique or club on MFP despite rumor. This agreement is based on information only.

I agree with them^^^^ Love my 1 bottle of diet wild cherry Pepsi a day!

diet pepsi wild cherry is my absolute favorite! drink it every day too
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "Science CAN prove things."

No. You need a bit of philosophy of science. It is not a criticism of science to say that it cannot "prove" anything--it is inherent in the need of science to have basic assumptions. Saying that does not mean that we can't accept some conclusions without absolute proof. It is probably unwise for my friend to reject the idea that his arsenic-laced water is harming him. There is a lot of scientific work that suggests that tiny amounts of arsenic ingested over a number of years may cause bowel cancer.

I believe you are referencing Splenda here. Splenda is a sugar combined with chlorine. Not arsenic. :wink:

Coincidentally, chlorine is also in your salt... and it's not the part that makes you blood pressure go up.

No--if you will check back, you will see that I was speaking about my friend who has arsenic in his well. Nothing that I said could be construed as reference to Splenda??? I am well aware of the chemical formula for table salt.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you really want it, keep having it. Quit looking to justify what you are going to do anyway.

If you are "missing" it so much, that says alot imo.

Personally, I won't touch the stuff, nor give it to my child, and I feel I've seen more than adequate evidence to support my choice no matter what the MFP experts think. But of course, the FDA, or the Canadian version, would never, ever approve anything for consumption that might be unhealthy or have the potential to hurt someone. (snort).
  • CoachReddy
    Options

So, yeah.

I don't think taking a few science classes and a logic class qualifies you to make such judgments about science.

Anyway, that is not what you've been arguing. Well, you revert to arguing it every time someone calls you out on your ludicrous claim that science cannot establish causation. You also revert to saying that it's just nutritional science, not all science.

You make so many claims it's hard to keep up! You mistook correlation for causation; then said that science can't prove causation. It can. You just refuse to admit that you made a mistake. So be it.

255 scientists and 11 nobel laureates would disagree. posted it earlier. you're really hung up on this aren't you? let's move on.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    255 scientists and 11 nobel laureates would disagree. posted it earlier. you're really hung up on this aren't you? let's move on.

I'm hung up on you reading a study that weakly established correlation then jumping straight strong causation by saying that you can minimize your risk by exposing yourself to a minimum of one of the variables.

Ever since that moment, you've been backtracking and running side to side trying to avoid admitting that you made a big mistake.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one to appreciate the irony of someone arguing that science is far far away from being able to establish a causal relationship in matters of nutrition, all the while being so certain that diet soda causes health problems.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm hung up on you reading a study that weakly established correlation then jumping straight strong causation by saying that you can minimize your risk by exposing yourself to a minimum of one of the variables.

Ever since that moment, you've been backtracking and running side to side trying to avoid admitting that you made a big mistake.

lol I hope you're not losing sleep over this.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I can't be the only one to appreciate the irony of someone arguing that science is far far away from being able to establish a causal relationship in matters of nutrition, all the while being so certain that diet soda causes health problems.

He really really loves science when it appears to suggest that something he already believes is true.

But when it comes to confirming things he doesn't like, he's the ultimate skeptic.