Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Correlation does not, never has, and never will imply causation. Unless biochemical studies are done to at least show some reasonable mechanism by which artificial sweeteners COULD have all those nasty effects people are claiming, there is absolutely NO reason to believe they do. To explain the correlation, there are alternatives, many of them. Maybe one would go something like:

People who have difficulty maintaining a healthy diet are more prone to buying diet drinks because they see diet drinks as an easy way to subtract 100 calories here and there. However, their eating habits do not change, therefore they are STILL at risk for all the negative effects that obesity has...like cardiovascular/cerebrovascular events, diabetes, etc.

That's called the 3rd, unmeasured variable. In that alternative scenario, the 3rd variable is that certain people crave sweets. Those people are drawn to diet drinks because they are still sweet. But what we don't know is what ELSE they are consuming. Since they like sweet stuff, we may hazard a guess.

And before someone raises their hand and says, "But wait! I love sweets, drink diet soda, and my BMI kicks *kitten*!" you should know that finding "risk" is not a 100% game. So among the numbers, there are bound to be in fact MANY people who can describe themselves as I just did. Just not as many as there are others who have the sweets issue. And, voila, a risk is perceived.

tumblr_llycg5tcBj1qafrh6.gif
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

This.

This

actually I am going to disagree with my initial 'this' you should not drink diet pepsi - go with coke zero its way better

Oooo! I didn't catch that. I have to agree with this this. Although I prefer Cherry Coke Zero, but now we're nit picking.

THERE'S A CHERRY COKE ZERO?!?! Omg, between this thread and the pop tart thread, I have so many things to add to my shopping list!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I drink Pepsi Max with a tin foil hat on so I think I'm ok :P
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    yes it sure is, nutra sweet can cause migraines. it is better to drink regular coke or tea with no sugar. artifical sweetners are linked to cancer, migraine headaches etc

Peanuts are linked to anaphylactic shock.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    yes it sure is, nutra sweet can cause migraines. it is better to drink regular coke or tea with no sugar. artifical sweetners are linked to cancer, migraine headaches etc

Oncologists are linked to cancer
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I have not had my 32OZ Diet Pepsi in over 7 weeks and do not feel any bettter or notice any changes in my weight or cravings. I keep hearing that I shouldn't drink Diet Pepsi it is so bad for you. I really miss it and looked forward to having it every day. Is there really any reason not to have it if I am not noticing any difference? Anyone else experienced this??

Stop listening to fear mongers and idiots and drink your diet pepsi, you're fine

This.

This

actually I am going to disagree with my initial 'this' you should not drink diet pepsi - go with coke zero its way better

Oooo! I didn't catch that. I have to agree with this this. Although I prefer Cherry Coke Zero, but now we're nit picking.

THERE'S A CHERRY COKE ZERO?!?! Omg, between this thread and the pop tart thread, I have so many things to add to my shopping list!

Welcome to living :drinker:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to indulge your attempts to further derail the thread. I shouldn't have the first time. Instead I'll repost this:
    alright how about THIS:

If you are open to the world of holistic medicine, and see value in it, then you will likely feel that there are issues with aspartame, and will, thus, stay away from diet sodas.

If you subscribe only to the things that have been officially proven through published scientific studies, and discount the value of holistic medicine, you will likely feel that aspartame is 100% safe.

OP: which category do you fall under?

Everyone else: we can stop arguing now because no one will convince anyone else they're wrong. Sound good?

Funny that you advocate buying into the realm of unproven holistic medicine, which is full of extracts and substances whose efficacy and long-term effects have not been studied, but reject something like aspartame which has been studied more than almost any other substance.

they absolutely have been studied, just not by the people YOU want them to have been studied by. :happy:

ORLY?

What controls were in place?

Double-blind?

What long term studies were conducted to show that there were no harmful effects?

Herbs have been used for many thousands of years. Harmful effects would have been noticed by now. There has been a fair bit of research done in Germany--where many physicians will prescribe an herb before a pharmaceutical.
  • NaBroski
    Options

:lol:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm not going to indulge your attempts to further derail the thread. I shouldn't have the first time. Instead I'll repost this:
    alright how about THIS:

If you are open to the world of holistic medicine, and see value in it, then you will likely feel that there are issues with aspartame, and will, thus, stay away from diet sodas.

If you subscribe only to the things that have been officially proven through published scientific studies, and discount the value of holistic medicine, you will likely feel that aspartame is 100% safe.

Everyone else: we can stop arguing now because no one will convince anyone else they're wrong. Sound good?

Funny that you advocate buying into the realm of unproven holistic medicine, which is full of extracts and substances whose efficacy and long-term effects have not been studied, but reject something like aspartame which has been studied more than almost any other substance.

they absolutely have been studied, just not by the people YOU want them to have been studied by. :happy:

ORLY?

Double-blind?

What long term studies were conducted to show that there were no harmful effects?

Herbs have been used for many thousands of years. Harmful effects would have been noticed by now. There has been a fair bit of research done in Germany--where many physicians will prescribe an herb before a pharmaceutical.

Well dang, "herbs" must be awesome then. Effective natural medicine with no side effects! Awesome. Amazing that before modern medicine people died and were debilitated by all kinds of mundane stuff.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Scientific research is linked to premature mortality in mice.

I lol'd
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I drink wine everyday and I am ok.

ETA: But that diet coke **** will kill ya.

:laugh: :tongue:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Sale of ice cream is linked to crime.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    alright how about THIS:

ORLY?

Double-blind?

Well dang, "herbs" must be awesome then. Effective natural medicine with no side effects! Awesome. Amazing that before modern medicine people died and were debilitated by all kinds of mundane stuff.

And they are still doing that today. Does "antibiotic resistance" ring a bell? Modern medicine is not all it's cracked up to be.
  • jennygreene09
    jennygreene09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If the scale increases when you switch back from diet soda to water, it could be because of the sodium in your diet drinks. I don't drink soda at all, but I have noticed a HUGE difference in the scale when I've been eating saltier foods, even when I'm staying within my calorie range. The salt makes your body retain water, which could explain the increase on the scale.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would like to introduce new research. Aspartame was approved for use in 1981. The average life expectancy has risen from 74 to 78.

Drink your diet soda everyone, Aspartame will extend your life! That's a diet coke my guy is holding.

:drinker:

Oh cripes...I don't actually drink diet soda...better start drinking it stat!
    My grandmother never drank it and she's 97, so the argument is invalid.

:wink:

Phew!

Genetics

Damn...

Oh, that's actually ok, my grandmother is still alive and a very healthy 86 year old...she drinks like a fish...hmmmm, I where is that corkscrew?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Sale of ice cream is linked to crime.

Coffee drinking is linked to heart disease. This is actually true.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    alright how about THIS:

ORLY?

Double-blind?

And they are still doing that today. Does "antibiotic resistance" ring a bell? Modern medicine is not all it's cracked up to be.

Which herbs should I ask the resident at the ER to give me when I show up with pneumonia?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If the scale increases when you switch back from diet soda to water, it could be because of the sodium in your diet drinks. I don't drink soda at all, but I have noticed a HUGE difference in the scale when I've been eating saltier foods, even when I'm staying within my calorie range. The salt makes your body retain water, which could explain the increase on the scale.

My can of diet soda here has 5 mg of sodium.

5 mg.
  • NaBroski
    Options
    I would like to introduce new research. Aspartame was approved for use in 1981. The average life expectancy has risen from 74 to 78.

Drink your diet soda everyone, Aspartame will extend your life! That's a diet coke my guy is holding.

:drinker:

Oh cripes...I don't actually drink diet soda...better start drinking it stat!
    My grandmother never drank it and she's 97, so the argument is invalid.

:wink:

If she had access to diet soda, she would've lived to 110.