Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia.

The Chinese use garlic (they can't afford antibiotics) to treat the most severe infections. There is actually at least one infection like a bowel infection caused by E. coli 0157:H7 where administering antibiotics can be more lethal than not administering them. With this particular bacterium, using antibiotics causes it to spill it's load of toxin into the gut of the infected person as it dies--and can lead to liver damage, kidney failure and death. Here is a link to a Georgetown University study using essential oil of oregano on the same infection. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2180/5/36

But, so as not to derail the thread, let's get back to the safety of aspartame.

That's nice. You make a huge claim, I ask you for evidence, you provide absolutely none whatsoever and link to an article that has nothing to do with antibiotics in the human body...... and then appeal to stop derailing the thread.

Well done.

just stop.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to indulge your attempts to further derail the thread. I shouldn't have the first time. Instead I'll repost this:
    alright how about THIS:

If you are open to the world of holistic medicine, and see value in it, then you will likely feel that there are issues with aspartame, and will, thus, stay away from diet sodas.

If you subscribe only to the things that have been officially proven through published scientific studies, and discount the value of holistic medicine, you will likely feel that aspartame is 100% safe.

OP: which category do you fall under?

Everyone else: we can stop arguing now because no one will convince anyone else they're wrong. Sound good?

Funny that you advocate buying into the realm of unproven holistic medicine, which is full of extracts and substances whose efficacy and long-term effects have not been studied, but reject something like aspartame which has been studied more than almost any other substance.

they absolutely have been studied, just not by the people YOU want them to have been studied by. :happy:

ORLY?

What controls were in place?

Double-blind?

What long term studies were conducted to show that there were no harmful effects?

Herbs have been used for many thousands of years. Harmful effects would have been noticed by now. There has been a fair bit of research done in Germany--where many physicians will prescribe an herb before a pharmaceutical.

Well dang, "herbs" must be awesome then. Effective natural medicine with no side effects! Awesome. Amazing that before modern medicine people died and were debilitated by all kinds of mundane stuff.

And they are still doing that today. Does "antibiotic resistance" ring a bell? Modern medicine is not all it's cracked up to be.

Which herbs should I ask the resident at the ER to give me when I show up with pneumonia?

There are actually a number of herbal preparations that could be useful for combating pneumonia--some that might be more effective than many antibiotics (and not leave one with fungal infections that must be cleared). :smile:

"Herbal preparations" and practices/techniques that are shown to be effective are adopted by modern medicine. That's the difference between science and superstition. One is self-correcting and progresses toward greater understanding of reality and increased efficacy. The other just relies on placebo and confirmation bias to produce the illusion of truth.

The hubris here is breathtaking.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There are actually a number of herbal preparations that could be useful for combating pneumonia--some that might be more effective than many antibiotics (and not leave one with fungal infections that must be cleared). :smile:

Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia.

The Chinese use garlic (they can't afford antibiotics) to treat the most severe infections. There is actually at least one infection like a bowel infection caused by E. coli 0157:H7 where administering antibiotics can be more lethal than not administering them. With this particular bacterium, using antibiotics causes it to spill it's load of toxin into the gut of the infected person as it dies--and can lead to liver damage, kidney failure and death. Here is a link to a Georgetown University study using essential oil of oregano on the same infection. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2180/5/36

But, so as not to derail the thread, let's get back to the safety of aspartame. Just for those who are feeling very comfy about the government's protection of the citizenry, here is the lowdown (and it IS definitely lowdown) on the approval process for aspartame:

"In 1985 Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle, the chemical company that held the patent to aspartame, the active ingredient in NutraSweet. Monsanto was apparently untroubled by aspartame's clouded past, including a 1980 FDA Board of Inquiry, comprised of three independent scientists, which confirmed that it "might induce brain tumors."

The FDA had actually banned aspartame based on this finding, only to have Searle Chairman Donald Rumsfeld [later to become Secretary of Defense under George Bush Jr.] vow to 'call in his markers,' to get it approved.

On January 21, 1981, the day after Ronald Reagan's inauguration, Searle re-applied to the FDA for approval to use aspartame in food sweetener, and Reagan's new FDA commissioner, Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr., appointed a 5-person Scientific Commission to review the board of inquiry's decision.

It soon became clear that the panel would uphold the ban by a 3-2 decision, but Hull then installed a sixth member on the commission, and the vote became deadlocked. He then personally broke the tie in aspartame's favor. Hull later left the FDA under allegations of impropriety, served briefly as Provost at New York Medical College, and then took a position with Burston-Marsteller, the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and GD Searle. Since that time he has never spoken publicly about aspartame."

Thank you for posting this history snapshot of aspartame. I knew about this and was planning on posting about this a couple of times and then I got sidetracked.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

That's nice. You make a huge claim, I ask you for evidence, you provide absolutely none whatsoever and link to an article that has nothing to do with antibiotics in the human body...... and then appeal to stop derailing the thread.

Well done.

just stop.

Just stop [demanding evidence for bold claims]. Just stop [actually using science and reason to draw conclusions about things]. Just stop [not believing things just because it feels good to believe them].

Is that what you mean?
  • nine2481
    nine2481 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you .... just live and be happy but count those calories !
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Well done.

just stop.

Just stop [demanding evidence for bold claims]. Just stop [actually using science and reason to draw conclusions about things]. Just stop [not believing things just because it feels good to believe them].

Is that what you mean?

yes.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well done.

just stop.

Is that what you mean?

yes.

Oh.

Well, then, no. But thanks for trying to tell me what to do! I appreciate it.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    And by the way, many (most? all?) pharmaceuticals are scientists efforts to replicate the same properties found naturally in these herbs. They can't make money on the herbs.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Well done.

just stop.

Is that what you mean?

yes.

Oh.

Well, then, no. But thanks for trying to tell me what to do! I appreciate it.

any time, bud!
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    I drink diet soda....................for over 25 years.....................my genetics trump pseudoscience.

That or the correlation of diet soda and health issues really are just correlations.

Time for a can of Diet Pepsi now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Correlations? of course that's all they are. I never said aspartame definitively caused anything. (you can check). but as long as there's a correlation, that means there is a POSSIBLE (regardless of how small you believe it to be) risk.

So as long as there's a RISK they could be harmful - no matter how large or small - it makes zero logical sense to drink them.

but again, to each his or her own, which is what my initial post in this thread stated.
    Reddy, there's a higher risk of driving and getting in a car accident then fatal overdose of aspartame poisoning. If risk is is risk (think HARMFUL here if that's your stance) then crossing the street on a heavily trafficked area, lifting weights without a spotter, taking a dance class with worn out shoes, etc. should also be on your list because it makes no sense to be put at harms risk. If that is YOUR STANCE on harmful risk.

IDEA Fitness member

but those are things i must do every day to live my life, and offer me appreciable benefits. you don't have to drink diet soda, and it offers no benefits.

You have to lift without a spotter and take dance classes with worn-out shoes? LOL
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Well done.
    [/quote]
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you .... just live and be happy but count those calories !

This is the most sensible comment on the thread. Everything is bad for you so just try to moderate all things and you'll be fine.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I'm with this person.
    Beer is bad for you too, but that hasn't stopped me from drinking it (within reason) (and within my calorie limits) (most of the time.)
    :drinker:

I personally have been trying to have LESS diet soda, for my own reasons: less artificial anything in or around my body, dental health, etc. However, diet soda has been my crutch for a very long time and is in come ways a comfort food, so limiting my diet soda intake is having say, a 20 oz diet coke 4 times a week haha.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    And by the way, many (most? all?) pharmaceuticals are scientists efforts to replicate the same properties found naturally in these herbs. They can't make money on the herbs.

Yeah, we were using herbs to cure polio, pneumonia, and effectively manage cancer for thousands of years before modern pharmaceuticals.

Derp.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I drink diet soda....................for over 25 years.....................my genetics trump pseudoscience.

That or the correlation of diet soda and health issues really are just correlations.

Time for a can of Diet Pepsi now.

IDEA Fitness member

Correlations? of course that's all they are. I never said aspartame definitively caused anything. (you can check). but as long as there's a correlation, that means there is a POSSIBLE (regardless of how small you believe it to be) risk.

So as long as there's a RISK they could be harmful - no matter how large or small - it makes zero logical sense to drink them.

but again, to each his or her own, which is what my initial post in this thread stated.
    Reddy, there's a higher risk of driving and getting in a car accident then fatal overdose of aspartame poisoning. If risk is is risk (think HARMFUL here if that's your stance) then crossing the street on a heavily trafficked area, lifting weights without a spotter, taking a dance class with worn out shoes, etc. should also be on your list because it makes no sense to be put at harms risk. If that is YOUR STANCE on harmful risk.

IDEA Fitness member

but those are things i must do every day to live my life, and offer me appreciable benefits. you don't have to drink diet soda, and it offers no benefits.

You have to lift without a spotter and take dance classes with worn-out shoes? LOL

well done.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

Finally, a sensible response. If it's not found in nature, most likely it's not good for you.
    Why risk it if you're concerned about your health? If not, go ahead and drink artificial sweeteners every day. It's your body.

Exactly. Exactly. And in addition . . . there are anecdotal stories regarding aspartame negatively effecting health, and there are some studies that raise enough concern to conduct more studies. Why do people defend something that has all the ear marks of being the next big oooooops in our history of thinking something is okay and then realizing later it's toxic. Look at cigarettes for instance. We were told they were harmless for soooooo long. Yeah right.

People drawing false connections are not "earmarks" of being the next big OOOH.

Aspartame has been tested and scrutinized more than nearly any other item on the market, and the evidence for it being harmful has been found to be lacking.

But people will still believe what they want.

Funny that many of the same people tout the use of "herbal" supplements and pseudo-scientific methods that have not undergone nearly the same level of testing. But that's OK because it's "natural". As if there are no poisonous substances in nature.

My Epstein Barre is on the way out as a result of taking the three herbs below. Notice each of these herbs have been studied. I didn't keep looking for additional studies for each herb, I'm sure there are more. So please don't shoot your mouth about herbs when you obviously don't know about them.

Note that the study on Licorice Root "suggested that GL (a component of Licorice Root) interferes with an early step of EBV replication cycle (possibly penetration)." Note that the first study on Lomatium found "The bioactivity of the known compounds (+)-falcarindiol, coniferyl ferulate, ferulic acid and (Z)-ligustilide (components of Lomatium) were confirmed against the Gram-positive bacteria Bacillus subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus." The second study of Lomatium states "A Lomatium dissectum root extract completely inhibited the cytopathic effects of rotavirus." The Abstract on Mullen Leaf states "Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus L.) is a medicinal plant readily found in roadsides, meadows and pasture lands and has been used to treat pulmonary problems, inflammatory diseases, asthma, spasmodic coughs, diarrhoea and migraine headaches. Although it has been used medicinally since ancient times, the popularity of common mullein has been increasing commercially for the past few years." "The use of common mullein extracts in folk medicine begun recently to be supported by an increasing number of research studies. This paper thoroughly reviews all the scientific research related to Verbascum thapsus L. including plant tissue cultures and the biological properties of this plant."

Licorice Root
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=licorice+root+epstein+barre

Lomatium
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16444670
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8847882

Mullen Leaf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16222647

WOW. Herbal supplements contain substances that help control disease.

Do you know what else works. Pharmaceutical-grade extracts that actually allow us to control dosage.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Well done.

[/quote]

What on earth are you talking about???? What evidence specifically is it that interests you? I linked to an article that has to do with the efficacy of an herbal preparation. I am not obligated to provide you with information on "antibiotics in the human body". You make no sense---perhaps it is time to just back away from the computer and rest a bit?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yeah, we were using herbs to cure polio, pneumonia, and effectively manage cancer for thousands of years before modern pharmaceuticals.

Derp.

how does medical science tell us we should treat reflux?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What on earth are you talking about???? What evidence specifically is it that interests you? I linked to an article that has to do with the efficacy of an herbal preparation. I am not obligated to provide you with information on "antibiotics in the human body". You make no sense---perhaps it is time to just back away from the computer and rest a bit?

I thought it was pretty clear.

You said:

"There are actually a number of herbal preparations that could be useful for combating pneumonia--some that might be more effective than many antibiotics (and not leave one with fungal infections that must be cleared)."

I said:

"Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia."

Instead of answering the question, you linked to some study about antibacterial additives for apple juice, then changed the subject saying you didn't want to derail the thread more.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

Finally, a sensible response. If it's not found in nature, most likely it's not good for you.
    Why risk it if you're concerned about your health? If not, go ahead and drink artificial sweeteners every day. It's your body.

Exactly. Exactly. And in addition . . . there are anecdotal stories regarding aspartame negatively effecting health, and there are some studies that raise enough concern to conduct more studies. Why do people defend something that has all the ear marks of being the next big oooooops in our history of thinking something is okay and then realizing later it's toxic. Look at cigarettes for instance. We were told they were harmless for soooooo long. Yeah right.

People drawing false connections are not "earmarks" of being the next big OOOH.

Aspartame has been tested and scrutinized more than nearly any other item on the market, and the evidence for it being harmful has been found to be lacking.

But people will still believe what they want.

Funny that many of the same people tout the use of "herbal" supplements and pseudo-scientific methods that have not undergone nearly the same level of testing. But that's OK because it's "natural". As if there are no poisonous substances in nature.

My Epstein Barre is on the way out as a result of taking the three herbs below. Notice each of these herbs have been studied. I didn't keep looking for additional studies for each herb, I'm sure there are more. So please don't shoot your mouth about herbs when you obviously don't know about them.

Note that the study on Licorice Root "suggested that GL (a component of Licorice Root) interferes with an early step of EBV replication cycle (possibly penetration)." Note that the first study on Lomatium found "The bioactivity of the known compounds (+)-falcarindiol, coniferyl ferulate, ferulic acid and (Z)-ligustilide (components of Lomatium) were confirmed against the Gram-positive bacteria Bacillus subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus." The second study of Lomatium states "A Lomatium dissectum root extract completely inhibited the cytopathic effects of rotavirus." The Abstract on Mullen Leaf states "Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus L.) is a medicinal plant readily found in roadsides, meadows and pasture lands and has been used to treat pulmonary problems, inflammatory diseases, asthma, spasmodic coughs, diarrhoea and migraine headaches. Although it has been used medicinally since ancient times, the popularity of common mullein has been increasing commercially for the past few years." "The use of common mullein extracts in folk medicine begun recently to be supported by an increasing number of research studies. This paper thoroughly reviews all the scientific research related to Verbascum thapsus L. including plant tissue cultures and the biological properties of this plant."

Licorice Root
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=licorice+root+epstein+barre

Lomatium
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16444670
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8847882

Mullen Leaf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16222647

WOW. Herbal supplements contain substances that help control disease.

Do you know what else works. Pharmaceutical-grade extracts that actually allow us to control dosage.

and cause side effects while herbal supplements dont. yeah i know which one i'd choose!