Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    What on earth are you talking about???? What evidence specifically is it that interests you? I linked to an article that has to do with the efficacy of an herbal preparation. I am not obligated to provide you with information on "antibiotics in the human body". You make no sense---perhaps it is time to just back away from the computer and rest a bit?

I thought it was pretty clear.

You said:

"There are actually a number of herbal preparations that could be useful for combating pneumonia--some that might be more effective than many antibiotics (and not leave one with fungal infections that must be cleared)."

I said:

"Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia."

Instead of answering the question, you linked to some study about antibacterial additives for apple juice, then changed the subject saying you didn't want to derail the thread more.

it isn't clear, can you try rephrasing it again?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    how does medical science tell us we should treat reflux?

There are tons of ways. You should speak to your physician about them. The methods may involve dietary changes, medications, or some combination thereof. Or something else entirely. I'm not a physician.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    And by the way, many (most? all?) pharmaceuticals are scientists efforts to replicate the same properties found naturally in these herbs. They can't make money on the herbs.

The herbs can't control dosage or filter out unwanted substances either.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    And by the way, many (most? all?) pharmaceuticals are scientists efforts to replicate the same properties found naturally in these herbs. They can't make money on the herbs.

Sorry to double-post, but I agree.
    I don't want this to turn into a medical cannabis debate but... I'll just say that it definitely has some PROVEN medical benefits and yet it is illegal in many places... Because pharmaceutical companies can't make money off of it. They TRIED, actually - marinol. It turns out if you extract one of the chemicals in a naturally occurring herb and neglect the other ones, it has different, often negative, effects. Who knew?
  • aejmw
    aejmw Posts: 5
    Options
    The aspertame gives you headaches and because you're drinking a sugar substitute your brain thinks it's getting sugar, and when it doesn't end up getting the sugar it thinks it's getting it craves more and if you don't have good self control, you end up eating more sugary foods.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    and cause side effects while herbal supplements dont. yeah i know which one i'd choose!

This is one of the things that drives me bonkers about all these "herbal" remedies.

The very idea that some substance has a sufficiently active property in the body as to actually cure or manage a disease, but has no side effects, is basically impossible. No matter what it is, if it has some biologic effect it's changing something, and any biochemical changes cause some disruption - especially if you don't get the dose right.

And with extracts, it's impossible to get the dosage with any accuracy.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What on earth are you talking about???? What evidence specifically is it that interests you? I linked to an article that has to do with the efficacy of an herbal preparation. I am not obligated to provide you with information on "antibiotics in the human body". You make no sense---perhaps it is time to just back away from the computer and rest a bit?

You said:

"There are actually a number of herbal preparations that could be useful for combating pneumonia--some that might be more effective than many antibiotics (and not leave one with fungal infections that must be cleared)."

I said:

"Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia."

Instead of answering the question, you linked to some study about antibacterial additives for apple juice, then changed the subject saying you didn't want to derail the thread more.

Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The aspertame gives you headaches and because you're drinking a sugar substitute your brain thinks it's getting sugar, and when it doesn't end up getting the sugar it thinks it's getting it craves more and if you don't have good self control, you end up eating more sugary foods.

Cute story but completely wrong.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

Finally, a sensible response. If it's not found in nature, most likely it's not good for you.
    Why risk it if you're concerned about your health? If not, go ahead and drink artificial sweeteners every day. It's your body.

Exactly. Exactly. And in addition . . . there are anecdotal stories regarding aspartame negatively effecting health, and there are some studies that raise enough concern to conduct more studies. Why do people defend something that has all the ear marks of being the next big oooooops in our history of thinking something is okay and then realizing later it's toxic. Look at cigarettes for instance. We were told they were harmless for soooooo long. Yeah right.

People drawing false connections are not "earmarks" of being the next big OOOH.

Aspartame has been tested and scrutinized more than nearly any other item on the market, and the evidence for it being harmful has been found to be lacking.

But people will still believe what they want.

Funny that many of the same people tout the use of "herbal" supplements and pseudo-scientific methods that have not undergone nearly the same level of testing. But that's OK because it's "natural". As if there are no poisonous substances in nature.

My Epstein Barre is on the way out as a result of taking the three herbs below. Notice each of these herbs have been studied. I didn't keep looking for additional studies for each herb, I'm sure there are more. So please don't shoot your mouth about herbs when you obviously don't know about them.

Note that the study on Licorice Root "suggested that GL (a component of Licorice Root) interferes with an early step of EBV replication cycle (possibly penetration)." Note that the first study on Lomatium found "The bioactivity of the known compounds (+)-falcarindiol, coniferyl ferulate, ferulic acid and (Z)-ligustilide (components of Lomatium) were confirmed against the Gram-positive bacteria Bacillus subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus." The second study of Lomatium states "A Lomatium dissectum root extract completely inhibited the cytopathic effects of rotavirus." The Abstract on Mullen Leaf states "Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus L.) is a medicinal plant readily found in roadsides, meadows and pasture lands and has been used to treat pulmonary problems, inflammatory diseases, asthma, spasmodic coughs, diarrhoea and migraine headaches. Although it has been used medicinally since ancient times, the popularity of common mullein has been increasing commercially for the past few years." "The use of common mullein extracts in folk medicine begun recently to be supported by an increasing number of research studies. This paper thoroughly reviews all the scientific research related to Verbascum thapsus L. including plant tissue cultures and the biological properties of this plant."

Licorice Root
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=licorice+root+epstein+barre

Lomatium
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16444670
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8847882

Mullen Leaf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16222647

WOW. Herbal supplements contain substances that help control disease.

Do you know what else works. Pharmaceutical-grade extracts that actually allow us to control dosage.

There's no end to your nastiness is there? You make the following statement meant for me "Funny that many of the same people tout the use of "herbal" supplements and pseudo-scientific methods that have not undergone nearly the same level of testing. But that's OK because it's "natural". As if there are no poisonous substances in nature.". I show you studies done on the herbs I'm taking, and you still just seethe nastiness and change the focus. Now you want to debate whether or not it's better to take an herbal preparation or a pharmaceutical that is a copy cat of the herb. lol.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

There are tons of ways. You should speak to your physician about them. The methods may involve dietary changes, medications, or some combination thereof. Or something else entirely. I'm not a physician.

medical science says to block the acid production with PPIs or H2 Blockers. the theory is suppress the acid, stop the reflux. only problem is that it's not a cure. you come off them, the acid reflux comes back! so why doesn't medical science have a cure?

i took DGL Licorice, Probiotics, Zinc, L-carsonine, and HCL

my reflux is gone. cured. doesn't happen anymore.

herbs vs conventional medicine

herbs 1
    conventional medicine 0

search the interwebs, this is a well documented situation, and not unique to me. but pharmaceutical companies make more money off antacids than almost any other drug category... so... there you go.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

Finally, a sensible response. If it's not found in nature, most likely it's not good for you.
    Why risk it if you're concerned about your health? If not, go ahead and drink artificial sweeteners every day. It's your body.

Exactly. Exactly. And in addition . . . there are anecdotal stories regarding aspartame negatively effecting health, and there are some studies that raise enough concern to conduct more studies. Why do people defend something that has all the ear marks of being the next big oooooops in our history of thinking something is okay and then realizing later it's toxic. Look at cigarettes for instance. We were told they were harmless for soooooo long. Yeah right.

Aspartame has been tested and scrutinized more than nearly any other item on the market, and the evidence for it being harmful has been found to be lacking.

Funny that many of the same people tout the use of "herbal" supplements and pseudo-scientific methods that have not undergone nearly the same level of testing. But that's OK because it's "natural". As if there are no poisonous substances in nature.

My Epstein Barre is on the way out as a result of taking the three herbs below. Notice each of these herbs have been studied. I didn't keep looking for additional studies for each herb, I'm sure there are more. So please don't shoot your mouth about herbs when you obviously don't know about them.

Note that the study on Licorice Root "suggested that GL (a component of Licorice Root) interferes with an early step of EBV replication cycle (possibly penetration)." Note that the first study on Lomatium found "The bioactivity of the known compounds (+)-falcarindiol, coniferyl ferulate, ferulic acid and (Z)-ligustilide (components of Lomatium) were confirmed against the Gram-positive bacteria Bacillus subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus." The second study of Lomatium states "A Lomatium dissectum root extract completely inhibited the cytopathic effects of rotavirus." The Abstract on Mullen Leaf states "Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus L.) is a medicinal plant readily found in roadsides, meadows and pasture lands and has been used to treat pulmonary problems, inflammatory diseases, asthma, spasmodic coughs, diarrhoea and migraine headaches. Although it has been used medicinally since ancient times, the popularity of common mullein has been increasing commercially for the past few years." "The use of common mullein extracts in folk medicine begun recently to be supported by an increasing number of research studies. This paper thoroughly reviews all the scientific research related to Verbascum thapsus L. including plant tissue cultures and the biological properties of this plant."

Licorice Root

Lomatium

Mullen Leaf

Do you know what else works. Pharmaceutical-grade extracts that actually allow us to control dosage.

There's no end to your nastiness is there? You make the following statement meant for me "Funny that many of the same people tout the use of "herbal" supplements and pseudo-scientific methods that have not undergone nearly the same level of testing. But that's OK because it's "natural". As if there are no poisonous substances in nature.". I show you studies done on the herbs I'm taking, and you still just seethe nastiness and change the focus. Now you want to debate whether or not it's better to take an herbal preparation or a pharmaceutical that is a copy cat of the herb. lol.

No one said there are no natural substances that have some use or effect. You're attacking a straw man.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You said:

I said:

Please, tell me which herbs have been shown to be more effective than antibiotics at curing pneumonia.

still not getting it... must be all these herbal side effects
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Licorice Root

Lomatium

Mullen Leaf

No one said there are no natural substances that have some use or effect. You're attacking a straw man.

nvm
  • jonnythan
    Options

medical science says to block the acid production with PPIs or H2 Blockers. the theory is suppress the acid, stop the reflux. only problem is that it's not a cure. you come off them, the acid reflux comes back! so why doesn't medical science have a cure?

herbs 1
    conventional medicine 0

search the interwebs, this is a well documented situation, and not unique to me. but pharmaceutical companies make more money off antacids than almost any other drug category... so... there you go.

You're not a doctor or a scientist, and I am not a doctor. I'm not going to discuss specific treatment options for a specific disease that you've suffered from, and neither of us can speak about what "medical science" necessarily prescribes for a condition, as if physicians all subscribe to a single treatment for something.
  • jonnythan
    Options

still not getting it... must be all these herbal side effects

• NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

Licorice Root

Lomatium

Mullen Leaf

This exactly.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Yeah, we were using herbs to cure polio, pneumonia, and effectively manage cancer for thousands of years before modern pharmaceuticals.

Derp.
    Don't forget appendicitis, orthopedics, severed arteries, etc.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

herbs 1
    conventional medicine 0

You're not a doctor or a scientist, and I am not a doctor. I'm not going to discuss specific treatment options for a specific disease that you've suffered from, and neither of us can speak about what "medical science" necessarily prescribes for a condition, as if physicians all subscribe to a single treatment for something.
    you've never seen prilosec, zantac, pepsid, maalox, tums commercials?

how many for deglycyrrhizinated licorice?
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    and cause side effects while herbal supplements dont. yeah i know which one i'd choose!

This is one of the things that drives me bonkers about all these "herbal" remedies.

The very idea that some substance has a sufficiently active property in the body as to actually cure or manage a disease, but has no side effects, is basically impossible. No matter what it is, if it has some biologic effect it's changing something, and any biochemical changes cause some disruption - especially if you don't get the dose right.

And with extracts, it's impossible to get the dosage with any accuracy.

ANd you know this how? My extended family has been treated at one time or another for pleurisy, lyme disease, chronic strep, mycoplasma pneumonia, EB, and yes pneumonia. WE DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE ANY ALLOPATHIC DRUGS TO CURE THESE. Herbs, homeopathic remedies, and specific supplements took care of it. Get your head out of the sand. You want to know which herbal combinations? Go to a freaking Naturopath or Herbalist or Ayervedic Doctor and you'll find out. You act like we just start wildly eating herbs off the side of the road or something the way you say the doses aren't regulated lol. Don't you realize how pompous and ignorant you sound when you say that?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yeah, we were using herbs to cure polio, pneumonia, and effectively manage cancer for thousands of years before modern pharmaceuticals.

Derp.
    Don't forget appendicitis, orthopedics, severed arteries, etc.

this is what's hilarious. none of us has said there's NEVER a need or cause for using modern drugs. this has never been a one or the other scenario.

guess what?

you can use both. wacky i know.