6 pounds up this week. HELP!

Options
I've been eating good. Loadsa veggies and fruit. Exercising every day for at least 30 mins. But on the scales this morning I am up 6lbs!!!!

And to make matters worse, I got my period this afternoon. I had no tampons so now my favourite panties are ruined.

What can I do?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A lot of us retain water for a couple of days when we start our periods. Drink lots of fluids and try not to worry about it!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    First, calm down. You might not have known this, but eating veggies during you TOM can make you retain extra water because fruit and veggies are mostly water. So during the week before and week of your TOM, you should avoid veggies and eat extra carbs and foods high in sodium to dry you out. Also, avoid showering so you don't get water logged.

Second, I am sorry about your panties. Soak them in cold water -- but make sure you wear gloves so you don't actually touch the water.

Good luck and just stick with it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    And to make matters worse, I got my period this afternoon.
    There's your answer. We all go up a few pounds during that time of the month. Don't sweat it, it will drop off in about a week.

As for the undies - hydrogen peroxide will fix 'em right up. :wink:
  • MakingChangesToday
    Options
    Don't worry too much - it's just water weight. I am in the same boat. Currently 2kgs extra on the scale. But it's gone once the bleeding stops. Long distance flights have the same effect on me.

As for the panties: avoid hot water since it will make the stains stick to the material. Soak in cold soapy water.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    First, calm down. You might not have known this, but eating veggies during you TOM can make you retain extra water because fruit and veggies are mostly water. So during the week before and week of your TOM, you should avoid veggies and eat extra carbs and foods high in sodium to dry you out. Also, avoid showering so you don't get water logged.

Second, I am sorry about your panties. Soak them in cold water -- but make sure you wear gloves so you don't actually touch the water.

LOL.
    But seriously... sometimes our lady bodies do crazy things. Sometimes I gain a few pounds when it's my time. One month, I actually dropped a couple pounds the day I started my period. For me, it's kind of like playing the lottery... but a lot less fun, and with a lot more blood. It can be discouraging to see that much weight show up on the scale, but it's probably just water and will come off in a few days. There's no way you gained 6 pounds of fat overnight. Sounds like you're on the right track!:smile:
  • PhantomBastard
    Options
    More than likely you're up 6lbs because of your period. Try eating small meals every 4 hours and eat very slowly until you are full, this will help you not to over eat like people usually do. Also cut out all pop and sugary drinks, and substitute them for water or tea..I've tried that before and lost 40lbs without even exercising lol. Another thing you could try is juicing your fruit or going on a soup diet. The more liquids you eat the easier it is for your body to process it, and the quicker you will loose weight.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

...... what?
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    It is water retention. 1 lb is 3500 cal ,so it can not be real weight. Drink lots of fluids. It will go away. Especially if part of it is hormonal!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned ivory soap for the panties, Water for you and don't weigh yourself for at least a week!!!. Your period jacks up more than your clothes and it makes your real weight unreliable.

Let it get over with. You'll see your original results soon enough! :)
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Are you due on I gain up to 10lbs when I'm due on buy some water tablets from your chemist it helps and drink lots n lost of water x
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Buy some new panties and drink water, try to avoid pms food.
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Wow! Learn something new everyday!.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Period weight gain. AND............

I browsed at your diary and it's full of sugary treats, fatty foods and whole milk........there's lot's of room for improvement.
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight. :) Drink some extra water. Avoid high sodium foods and it will come right off again.

As for your fav panties, I guarantee this will work. It ALWAYS worked for me. I pour a little clorox 2 on the stain and then add some Oxy-clean. It starts to bubble and foam and then using the paste of oxy-clean and clorox2, rub it into the stain. Let it sit for about 15 min and then wash as usual.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

...... what?

She'll just retain the water she absorbs when washing of the panties if she doesn't wear gloves.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Period weight gain. AND............

I browsed at your diary and it's full of sugary treats, fatty foods and whole milk........there's lot's of room for improvement.

This is not constructive. Why is everyone so mean on MFP. I would report you but the donuts are calling me.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Thanks so much, lovely. I'm more of a cloth on a stick kinda girl. Or should I avoid washing altogether?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Thanks so much, lovely. I'm more of a cloth on a stick kinda girl. Or should I avoid washing altogether?

Avoid all washing and just use baby powder!
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options

not sure if serious....

sodium makes you hold on to water. avoid sodium and drink lots and lots of water. and really, avoid showering? i need to shower MORE during my TOM. GROSS.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    One word sodium, you need to check it. All that cooked food from Sainsburys is full of sodium. Smokked salmon need a lot of salt.