Steamed Vegetables Tasting Blah

Options
armymom5
armymom5 Posts: 115
I'm looking for ideas of how to make steamed vegetables taste better. Help?

Replies

• ladyvegas
    Options
    i sprinkle lots of mrs. dash on all my veggies or other seasonings....anything to give them some taste.
    i use lots of ground pepper, never salt anymore and i dont miss the butter or the salt.
    good luck!
  • emileee99
    Options
    I like Spike seasoning on most veggies. They have a salt-free version too. (I didn't even realize they had so many versions until I googled the website.) http://spike-it-up.com/our-products/
  • armymom5
    Options
    Can you buy the Spike seasoning in stores also?
  • mystina5
    mystina5 Posts: 5
    Options
    Instead of steaming them..try roasting! They are fantastic! If you do a search on Pinterest you can find all kinds of recipes.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Instead of steaming them, roast them. Put on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on them. Sprinkle salt and pepper and some minced garlic. Roast at 425 for 20-25 minutes or so (watch them to see when they start to turn brown at the ends but not burn). Pull them out, squeeze half a lemon over them and voila.

If you've never done this before, I promise you'll never want to steam vegetables again.
  • mystina5
    mystina5 Posts: 5
    Options
    Love my Roasted Vegetable...as do my KIDS!!!
  • armymom5
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the roasting suggestion!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce or Dr. Bragg's. Sometimes I sautee veggies and add a little balsamic vinegar or some lemon juice.Garnish with fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am currently so in love with Old Bay's Garlic and Herb Seasoning. Great on baked potato, veggies, fish, chicken. It just makes everything taste yummy!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Instead of steaming them..try roasting! They are fantastic! If you do a search on Pinterest you can find all kinds of recipes.

This! I roast all sorts of veggies and love them. This week I am roasting cauliflower then tossing with a teaspoon of dijon mustard. Super delicious and a little crunch.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the roasting suggestion!

BTW, it's best to use fresh cuts ones. And try to dry them after washing. I've done broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussel sprouts, zuchinni, squash.... I think you can do pretty much anything.

I've used frozen veggies before but they come out more chewy because of the ice in the bag.

Oh and add some fresh grated parmesan when they come out. That's really tasty too!
  • KBGirts
    Options
    This! I roast all sorts of veggies and love them. This week I am roasting cauliflower then tossing with a teaspoon of dijon mustard. Super delicious and a little crunch.

I haven't tried it with the dijon!!!! What was I thinking???? I love dijon!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    cheese and bacon.
  • XTinaLin
    XTinaLin Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to just sprinkle them with a little onion powder. I don't even put any butter on them. Its wonderful!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yum, a lot of good ideas!!!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ideas of how to make steamed vegetables taste better. Help?

Add butter! (the real thing, not margarine). Saturated fat will help your body absorb the vitamins and minerals in the veggies and butter tastes damned good.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120619FerruzziSalad.html
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance Spray butter......zero calories, zero fat.
  • kristinaleep
    kristinaleep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I roast my vegetables with olive oil. I hate steaming them.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    cayenne pepper,,,, i put that **** on EVERYTHING!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Whatever vinaigrette you usually use on salads is also great on steamed veggies.