Meat labeling trickery, Must read

Options

Replies

• RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    why doesnt the label just say 49% lean if its 51% fat???? ...its just dishonest and misleading.....what if i said i was 90 percent lean??? would you assume i had 10% body fat or would you assume i had 51% body fat??? these numbers are radically different....im not splitting hairs here

They are going by grams. Going.by.grams.

The body fat comparison doesn't apply in any way shape or form because body fat is always a ratio of tissue composition, not a conversion from grams to calories.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    why doesnt the label just say 49% lean if its 51% fat???? ...its just dishonest and misleading.....what if i said i was 90 percent lean??? would you assume i had 10% body fat or would you assume i had 51% body fat??? these numbers are radically different....im not splitting hairs here

The body fat comparison doesn't apply in any way shape or form because body fat is always a ratio of tissue composition, not a conversion from grams to calories.

ok i get your math now i was not accpunting for the other 70 grams of non-macro material thats in red meat....so in other words when deciding on what to label meat they have decided to include something that does not count....the other 70 grams count for nothing, the other 70 grams are meaningless so why are they being used in the equation to determine how the food should be labeled to the public???? seem a bit crafty and dishonest yet???
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Crafty, yes. Dishonest, not really. Blame the FDA for its' "labeling requirements"

ok i get your math now i was not accpunting for the other 70 grams of non-macro material thats in red meat....so in other words when deciding on what to label meat they have decided to include something that does not count....the other 70 grams count for nothing, the other 70 grams are meaningless so why are they being used in the equation to determine how the food should be labeled to the public???? seem a bit crafty and dishonest yet???
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    if i showed 100 average americans a container of ground red meat that had the label 90% lean on it, then asked the average american what percentage of the item was fat? how many of thoes 100 americans will say 51%? how many will say 10%? how many will say something completely different? when you consider the average americans that are reading these labels you must realize the label is intentionally misleading and therefore DISHONEST
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    dishonesty does not seem to bother most people.....i think most people expect to have to lie during the course of the day and most people expect or even demand to be lied to during the course of a day....
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    if i showed 100 average americans a container of ground red meat that had the label 90% lean on it, then asked the average american what percentage of the item was fat? how many of thoes 100 americans will say 51%? how many will say 10%? how many will say something completely different? when you consider the average americans that are reading these labels you must realize the label is intentionally misleading and therefore DISHONEST

we see your point

rant over?
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

If you told me you had 10% body fat, I would not assume that you were 90% muscle. I would understand that the body (and the bodies of animals) are made up of other things, like lean tissue and moisture.

Seriously, worst troll thread ever.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

If somebody gave me 10oz of 2% milk and will ask me how much fat was in that, I will say 0.2oz. The label of 2% fat is not misleading.
    If I buy trail mix and it says 50% peanuts, I will assume that 50% of the WEIGHT is peanuts, not that peanuts make up 50% of the calories.

Thank god, we have the nutrition facts on the label and can read and look how many calories, fat and protein a specific item has.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    51% of the calories are from fat. 10% of the overall product is fat. 90% lean has absolutely nothing to do with the caloroes, it's based on the weight. There is nothing intentionally misleading about it, you're making up something that isn't there.

Most normal humans understand that lean/fat ratios are based on composition, not calories.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    51% of the calories are from fat. 10% of the overall product is fat. 90% lean has absolutely nothing to do with the caloroes, it's based on the weight. There is nothing intentionally misleading about it, you're making up something that isn't there.

Most normal humans understand that lean/fat ratios are based on composition, not calories.

THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    And don't even get me started on the whole horsemeat thing!
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

i disagree....what percentage of americans know that 70% of the weight of their red meat does not count towards fueling their bodies??? Nobody except us fitness nut jobs know things like that!!!!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Something like 60% of the energy/calories in a serving of “80% lean” ground meat is comprised of fat. Why is this??? The “93% lean” ground meat at my grocery store comprises about 40 percent of its calories as calories from fat....Why is this? Labeling trickery.....why is this?

This trickery has caused me to look toward veggies as a protein source.

My most lean meats are all around 15% of its calories/energy from fat...my butterball grilled chicken strips, my bumblebee tuna, my Swanson canned chicken breasts, my Hillshire farm lunch meat at 50 calories per 2 oz of meat is at about 15% calories/energy from fat....so why is ground red meat being labeled as "95% lean" or "85% lean" when what they should be saying is 40% fat or 60% fat?....

Reese’s peanut butter cups comprise about 45% of its calories/energy from fat....so I guess a candy bar is a leaner food than most ground red meat.....???

Something is wrong here….either red meat is way more unhealthy than I thought or my “Lean meats” (listed above) are not as healthy as I thought, or both….

I just checked, my “Swanson white premium chunk chicken breast” in a can states 98% fat free on the front label of the can, on the nutrition facts label it states 60 calories per serving and fat calories as 10….ok let’s do that math…10 divided by 60 = .1666667 or 16 %....so 16 percent of the energy I get from my Swanson canned chicken is energy from fat…..16% of the calories consumed are fat calories!!!! So why does it say that it is 98% fat free on the front label????

People who label meat are trying to trick us....

Comment on this.

Fat is 9 calories per gram. Protein is 4 calories per gram. % on the label is based on physical composition, not calorie content.

You sir, are an idiot.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    And don't even get me started on the whole horsemeat thing!
    Leave the horses out of it. Those horse burgers are tasty. :angry:
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I look at meat macros in the "per serving" perspective. I don't really care what percent is what as long as it fits in my macros for the day!

Common sense > marketing ploys.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

i disagree....what percentage of americans know that 70% of the weight of their red meat does not count towards fueling their bodies??? Nobody except us fitness nut jobs know things like that!!!!

Actually, I think that anyone who passed high school biology should know that cells aren't just made of pure protein. Perhaps it is time to get your GED?
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Er, no, I've never met anyone that didn't realize that when you say X% of this item is Y that meant that X% of that item is Y.

If I say I want half my plate to be covered with broccoli, I expect they're gonna put broccoli on 50% of the plate.

You are the first person, EVER, who I've talked to who thinks otherwise.... and that's been what this thread has been 100% (you know, all of it) about on your end.

And no, I've never met anyone above a 7th grade science class that didn't have a basic understanding of cells, unless they were flunking.

I'm strongly leaning towards believing what others have said about you just being a troll, OP.

With that, I'm out on this one... if you think there is a conspiracy when someone tells you that you're getting 10% of something when they give you 10% of it... well, that's the end of it for me.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In the end regardless of math all that matters to me is that I buy the leaner cuts of meat. My meat usually says 93/7 or 80/20. I can taste and feel the differences. That's all I care about.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Worst troll thread of the day, 0/10. At least try to be funny.