So, are carbs evil or not?

Options

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I am evil and I eat carbs! Causation or correlation?

I read that as caucasian ... But it is early here and, worryingly, the MFP forum is the first site that I surf,

On topic,I find some of the refined stuff can cause cravings for me, which doesn't help maintaining the energy gap.

I eat 'em all though, it's all good innit?
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    They arnt evil... Just eat the right kinds! And I think that cutting carbs does help lose weight, because you arnt giving your body fuel, so it looks elswhere (fat). But, I think cutting out processed food will help too (which usually have a lot of carbs anyways) Just get carbs from veggies!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Not at all. As long as your diet doesn't consist primarily of them, they're awesome.

No......most can consume up to 60% of their cals in carbs as long as training and adaptation are in place.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My thought on the "I cut carbs and dropped 30 pounds" thing is that the people who go balls to the wall "low/no carb" are probably the ones who were stuffing themselves with enriched pasta, bread and chips. Of course you're going to drop tons of weight if you stop stuffing yourself with garbage.

If you know which carbs are the best for maintaining a healthy diet (red/sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc.) and keep them in moderation then no, they aren't "evil".

I get around equal amounts of protein and carbs each day... I'm not dead (or obese). I educated myself on which carbs are the best in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle.
    Brown rice is one of the worst health food myths ever. White rice is healthier, in general.

I'm curious about this, why is it healthier? I thought brown rice is just like regular rice, plus fiber.
    The fiber is actually the problem. The fiber in brown rice is the hull. The hull is indigestible. The majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull. Meaning, on paper brown rice has more nutrients, but the human body can't digest and absorb them. It ends up being a waste of calories, really. Bioavailability is a much more important marker of nutrition than just what the food contains. White rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, making it a better choice. Plus there are much better sources of fiber out there.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My thought on the "I cut carbs and dropped 30 pounds" thing is that the people who go balls to the wall "low/no carb" are probably the ones who were stuffing themselves with enriched pasta, bread and chips. Of course you're going to drop tons of weight if you stop stuffing yourself with garbage.

If you know which carbs are the best for maintaining a healthy diet (red/sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc.) and keep them in moderation then no, they aren't "evil".

I get around equal amounts of protein and carbs each day... I'm not dead (or obese). I educated myself on which carbs are the best in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle.
    Brown rice is one of the worst health food myths ever. White rice is healthier, in general.

I'm curious about this, why is it healthier? I thought brown rice is just like regular rice, plus fiber.
    The fiber is actually the problem. The fiber in brown rice is the hull. The hull is indigestible. The majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull. Meaning, on paper brown rice has more nutrients, but the human body can't digest and absorb them. It ends up being a waste of calories, really. Bioavailability is a much more important marker of nutrition than just what the food contains. White rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, making it a better choice. Plus there are much better sources of fiber out there.

I was curious too, so i found this article.
    http://butterbeliever.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-healthy/
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I was curious too, so i found this article.
    http://butterbeliever.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-healthy/

Thank you both for the info. I tried brown rice once "for the fiber." The taste did not agree with my requirements, and that was that.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Some also have success by going low-carb because they put their body into a state of ketosis, when I no longer has sugar from carbs for energy so it literally melts fat instead. I know it is not for everyone, but for anyone interested just Google ketosis diets to understand more. There is also a lot of information coming out that it's healthier to do high protein and high fat (healthy fats -- like avocado and coconut oil) and low carb for overall health.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Evil?

No, I don't see a bag of basmati rice striving to take over the world.

A pain in the behind when you're trying to get your blood sugar levels and cravings down. But not evil.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Some also have success by going low-carb because they put their body into a state of ketosis, when I no longer has sugar from carbs for energy so it literally melts fat instead. I know it is not for everyone, but for anyone interested just Google ketosis diets to understand more. There is also a lot of information coming out that it's healthier to do high protein and high fat (healthy fats -- like avocado and coconut oil) and low carb for overall health.
    Your body burns fat every second of every day, regardless of whether you are in ketosis or not. Ketosis is one of the biggest low carb myths there is.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to carbs, others aren't. I try to balance everything, but I do notice when I reduce carbs my weight drops at an alarming rate. I am a "carb sensitive type. I had analysis done once by a professional and they told me that the high protein and low carb is the diet for my body type. I didn't follow his advice (he wasn't selling anything). But it just means, we all have different things which work. I would experiment to see how you feel with them as they are and then reduce them for 30 days and see and then evaluate YOU and NOT what others say here. they are only speaking about what works for THEM. They are not wrong, they are just NOT you.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options

I get around equal amounts of protein and carbs each day... I'm not dead (or obese). I educated myself on which carbs are the best in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle.totally wrong, white rice has been bleached and stripped of its nutrients

• hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    White rice has been bleached and stripped of nutrients, brown is far better,
  • tigersword
    Options
    White rice has been bleached and stripped of nutrients, brown is far better,
    No, that's a myth. Have you actually read this thread?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I try and keep a balance, but I would sooner take in more carbs than more protein, if I have to eat a load of animal protein to compensate since several studies point to high intake of animal protein reducing lifespan and increasing the risk of cancers, in particular breast cancer(dairy).

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/11/1441.long

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21325617

This is my personal view on it, though, based on reading around and researching things. Add that to studies suggesting vegetarians(who often have at least a moderate intake of carbs, including beans and wholegrains) outlive meat eaters or have a lesser chance of certain health issues,

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2013/130130.html

http://www.llu.edu/public-health/health/hypertension-white-calibration.page

and I am distinctly getting the impression that going low carb, if it involves elevating levels of animal proteins, might be great for weight loss, but weight loss not so great if you are shortening your lifespan anyway, lol. I suggest people find what works for them and does their research first before reducing or increasing certain elements of their diet.
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    People that cut out carbs to lose weight usually end up failing.

Wow! Just wow. Judgmental much? 65% of people that try to lose weight fail and I highly doubt that they are all low carb eaters.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    bread+is+evil.JPG
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    They're evilly delicious. That's about it.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    people always ask what foods make the metabolism better.. its carbs yo.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs can make the number on the scale go down due to water weight. It isn't fat loss. Stay within your calories, eat at least 1 gram protein per lb of lean body mass (find out how much you have here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/ ) and eat at least .35 gm fat per lb lean body mass, and let the carbs fall where they may.

I agree with all of your answer except the first two sentences. Yes, initially you will see a quick drop in water weight when you start eating low carb. But, I know people who have lost 50, 60 and more than 100 lbs eating low carb. You can't say that is JUST water weight. You will lose fat on low carb long term also.