Wonder why you can't lose weight??

Options
MSG-Induced Obesity

MSG is actually injected into laboratory rats to induce obesity. There are many many scientific studies done using these MSG treated rats since rats are not naturally overweight. It also has been shown to increase appetite in male rats and to induce obesity in female rats and chickens. Scientists in Spain have recently concluded that MSG when given to mice increase appetite by as much as 40%.

http://www.euroresidentes.com/Blogs/2005/12/scientists-in-spain-link-additive-to.htm

Want to know if your food has MSG in it??
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Even if you have an increase in appetite does not mean you can't put the fork down and still lose weight. Also, I would be interested to see the dosing in rats and what that is compared to a 200 lb human and if it's anywhere close. Idk but I would be curious to find out.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Dorito-induced obesity myself.
  • scottRN
    scottRN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good thing Im not a Rat.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options

QFT!!! ditto that
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I also believe there was a double blind study performed in humans and there was only one person who experienced MSG related symptoms, and that person was in the placebo group. Don't quote me on that as that is from memory, I'll see if I can find it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    read labels... it's disgusting when you realize what you are actually eating when you purchase pre-made/processed unnatural foods.
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you didn't have any glutamate in your system, you would be dead now. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed study showing that msg is harmful to humans. A whole bunch of holistic websites, yes. But not one peer reviewed study.

The rat study people like to refer to uses crazy doses of msg that would be impossible for humans to meet that equivalent through eating. Hell, if you OD on salt or sugar like that I'm sure you'd get a reaction too.

Please, know and cite proper sources before going to educate others.
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you didn't have any glutamate in your system, you would be dead now. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed study showing that msg is harmful to humans. A whole bunch of holistic websites, yes. But not one peer reviewed study.

The rat study people like to refer to uses crazy doses of msg that would be impossible for humans to meet that equivalent through eating. Hell, if you OD on salt or sugar like that I'm sure you'd get a reaction too.

^^^^^
    This!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    MSG doesn't make you fat. Eating too much does. Game. Set. Match.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I ****ing love MSG.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I like you. :flowerforyou:

"Thus, high usage of MSG in ethnic cuisines does not represent a situation in which intakes might achieve unsafe levels, even among individuals claiming idiosyncratic intolerance of such foods."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10597625

"Mice are particularly sensitive to MSG, and even much higher doses of orally ingested MSG are safe for human adults and babies."

http://blog.zocdoc.com/is-msg-a-neurotoxin-fact-vs-myth/

"The Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives, based on enumerable scientific evidence, has declared that, 'glutamate as an additive in food' is not an health hazard to human being. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18341218
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I :heart: :heart: :heart: Andy Kaufman.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    THATS why I got fat!!
    Case closed...

lol jeez...
    Yes, some people react negatively to MSG. Same with gluten, dyes, lactose....
    You will ALWAYS find things that contribute (or "cause") weight gain if you google the right phrase!
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Of course MSG causes obesity. That's why everyone is Asia is so fat.

Wait, WUT?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    MjAxMy1kNjE0ZjJmMzUzOGRkMmI3_5107fafecdd25.png
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Do you eat parmesan cheese? Or tomatoes? Or Marmite? Or soy sauce? Or dried mushrooms? Those all contain large amounts of glutamate.

Glutamate is a naturally occurring chemical, known as umami in Japanese. It even occurs in human breast milk!

Monosodium glutamate is an extracted form mixed with salt. Okay, it's processed but it really isn't a great big evil.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Of course MSG causes obesity. That's why everyone is Asia is so fat.

Wait, WUT?

Between that and the carbs from all the rice, I'm surprised that Asians make up roughly 60 percent of the world's population.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Even if you have an increase in appetite does not mean you can't put the fork down and still lose weight. Also, I would be interested to see the dosing in rats and what that is compared to a 200 lb human and if it's anywhere close. Idk but I would be curious to find out.

Rats are dosed at 4mg/g.

That works out to over 3/4 lb of MSG for a 200 lbs human.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options

This all the way!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would say that, if you are looking for an obesity-inducing villain, I would look in the direction of sugar. The Chinese have always eaten a LOT of MSG but they are just starting to experience a rapidly rising rate of obesity which tracks with a rapidly rising level of sugar consumption.