the disgrace that is dominos!!

Options

Replies

• BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't shock me but the sodium content of most food does. I'm at goal weight and I eat Domino's almost every weekend. Moderation is an essential key for me.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Make your own pizza?

Will more likely taste better than a Dominoes anyway...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Chain pizza joints are awful in every way

You take that back!

:flowerforyou:

I can't eat anything from chain pizza restaurants anymore but I have great fondness for the memories.
  • hellokittyykat
    hellokittyykat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Before I started watching what and how much I ate, I would eat as much as I wanted!
    Now that I'm changing my ways, I realize just how much I ate. One slice from dominos/pizzahut is over 300 calories. It's so crazy that I'd eat up to 5 slices! I don't miss it at all now, especially knowing how bad it is. One slice every once in a while wouldn't be bad. But I'd eat pizza up to 3 times a week.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Like the OP, when I started to look at what calories were in certain foods, I got my eyes opened.

It's not that I ever thought of pizza as a health food (not even veg supreme ;) ) but I honestly didn't realise it was like a whole day's calorie allowance even if you don't eat it all because you always have a bit of garlic bread or some icecream .... I don't think I've ever 'just' had pizza, there's always something else on the side!

My only saving grace is I despise food when it starts to cool down too much so my pizza eating was always regulated by how much I could eat before it reached the hot/cold tipping point :)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Who eats a whole freaking pizza? I have a healthy appetite but even on a hungry day I couldn't put away a whole pizza!
    I could. On a good day I could put away two large pies. How you think I got so fat?
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Pishh. I love pizza. I could eat a whole one, totally. Maybe half right away and the other half in a few hours...done. I know that I shouldn't...but I don't think that it's craaaaaazy to think of somebody polishing off a whole pizza. I'm sure it happens a lot!

That said, I had Dominos this weekend!
    A 10 inch gluten free crust with cheese, garlic, and mushrooms comes out to be 900 calories. I ate half last night (a 450 calorie meal is not unreasonable) and half for lunch today. This was a special treat and does not happen every week, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if it did. Plus, the Domino's website actually has a calorie counter on it and will give you suggestions for lighter options...not too shabby!
  • leejusd
    leejusd Posts: 81
    Options

Guess my point is you don't have to eat the whole pizza ya know?

Yes, yes I do need to eat the whole pizza...
    in one sitting...
    sigh
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Who eats a whole freaking pizza? I have a healthy appetite but even on a hungry day I couldn't put away a whole pizza!
    plenty of people can and do. it's really not that hard. in fact, it's too easy hence fatness :wink:
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Came in expecting the "disgrace" to be about the taste.

How is a whole pizza having 1400 cals disgraceful ? Did Dominos say it only has 800 or something ?
  • Interestedeater
    Options
    It's hard when my uni friends get two for tuesdays (a flat of four). And everyone gets a pizza to themselves. If I suggest sharing they look at me like I am sick in the head e.g friend has FOUR bloody dips. God help them when their metabolisms change- not to mention how bad it is for you! It's so hard to have the whole pizza sat in front of me and only eat two- I find it easier not to have it at all. I suppose this is my general downfall. I need to recognise when I am full etc.
  • Interestedeater
    Options
    Sat 03/16/13 10:16 PM
    It's hard when my uni friends get two for tuesdays (a flat of four). And everyone gets a pizza to themselves. If I suggest sharing they look at me like I am sick in the head e.g friend has FOUR bloody dips. God help them when their metabolisms change- not to mention how bad it is for you! It's so hard to have the whole pizza sat in front of me and only eat two slices- I find it easier not to have it at all. I suppose this is my general downfall. I need to recognise when I am full etc.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised about what's in food. I am very surprised about the number of people who are surprised about what's in food. Not just calories, but nutrition, chemicals, fat content.

This.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You're surprised that an entire pizza, with a decent thickness crust and covered in cheese has that many calories and that when you add ranch and dips to it, it adds up to a lot more? A medium pizza is not meant to be a single serving meal.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand why someone would be shocked at the number of calories in a WHOLE pizza. I am pretty sure I've never eaten a whole pizza in one sitting. I cannot imagine that I ever would.
    You think that's bad, you should see how many calories are in an entire cow!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand why someone would be shocked at the number of calories in a WHOLE pizza. I am pretty sure I've never eaten a whole pizza in one sitting. I cannot imagine that I ever would.
    You think that's bad, you should see how many calories are in an entire cow!

OMG! An average weight whole cow has 600,000 calories!! Holy cow!!
  • torchify
    torchify Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's hard when my uni friends get two for tuesdays (a flat of four). And everyone gets a pizza to themselves. If I suggest sharing they look at me like I am sick in the head e.g friend has FOUR bloody dips. God help them when their metabolisms change- not to mention how bad it is for you! It's so hard to have the whole pizza sat in front of me and only eat two- I find it easier not to have it at all. I suppose this is my general downfall. I need to recognise when I am full etc.
    That's a classic case of peer pressure. But the question is, do you really know what they would think if you only ate two slices of your own pizza? Would that mean you have to explain your diet to them and you are embarrassed? How do you know they don't feel the same way but are too concerned what you think of them? IMHO it would be best to at least clue your friends into your diet. It will make it easier to tell them you are saving the rest of the pizza for later. If they are not onboard with your goals, maybe its time to make plans to be somewhere else on tuesday nights.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks a lot! A pizza I could deal with. Now I want a whole cow.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks a lot! A pizza I could deal with. Now I want a whole cow.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :drinker:
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I just started reading a book called Bet the Farm. There's quite a lot in the beginning about Dominos. I thought that was what this thread was about!

Good for you, OP. I think it's great that you are educating yourself.