What Convinced You To Change?

Options

Replies

• mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hated what I saw in the mirror. I am getting married next year. For my family and for myself.
  • hellokittyykat
    hellokittyykat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to lose weight. I've struggled for years since I was a child. I went down the whole E.D rode during high school. This time, I'm doing it the right way. To be healthy and happy with myself. I'm one to always put myself down. Now that I've been eating differently and working out... No negative comments about myself have been said. I started searching for some inspiration. I found divaslimsdown on YouTube and watched her whole journey. It amazed me. That's when I decided I was ready for change!!

I've never been happier.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    When I saw 225 lbs on the scale, and when my "fat jeans" were getting too tight. Plus just knowing that I was going to keep on gaining 10 or 15 lbs every year if I didn't change my ways.
  • fat2fitdancody
    fat2fitdancody Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Not sure to be honest, had a lot of opportunities in the past, Nan dying, Dad getting diabetes, Brother in law discovering he had a brain tumour in July 2011.

On the 2nd of Jan 2012 I went to the gym, which I joined in 2005 and never cancelled! Weighed myself 139 Kilograms converted to stones and pounds as not been bought up with kilos - 21 st 12 lbs. :noway:

Felt like giving up then but decided to give it a shot, double my efforts, I'd been to the gym in 2011 but only for 20 minutes at a time and didn't go in December.

I decided that no matter how tired or how much it hurt I would do twice as much as I'd ever done before on the cross trainer and I did it, I've been to the gym nearly every weekday since.

Seeing my brother in law fight so hard against cancer definitely was part of it but also the realisation that those people who have the great lives work hard at it.

Life is tough but if you work hard and smart you will hopefully get your rewards.

Next week I am running the Loughborough half marathon, which still seems unbelievable.
  • shortie1am
    Options
    None of my pants fit anymore and I had to buy a pair from a plus sized store.
  • AllyTheguineapig
    Options
    Yep same here.
  • wsh1ngtn
    wsh1ngtn Posts: 2
    Options
    I weighed in at an appointment with my primary physician & it was the heaviest I had ever been. I had not been very active for a while & placed the blame on aging (67). I was unable to be as active with my grandchildren as I wanted. I found myself out of breath & exhausted after a very shout time.
    I decided then to make a change in my havbits, both mentally & physically. I want to be more involved & more active when spending time with my family. I want to lose the weight. I want to look & feel betterm I want to regain my self-esteem. I want to change my life style in a positive manner & be a good example for my family & friends.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    living in florida, surrounded by fat people in speedos, i decided someone had to do something to break the monotony. the land whales are taking over.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I was doing a 24 minute 5K and no matter how hard I tried I wasnt breaking the 24 minute. So I said, ok its time to shape up. I went on to break the 24 minute. Now trying for 21 minute but at my old age its tough.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    After waiting tables for 10 years, I was in good shape, gaining little. After quitting that & becoming a SAHM & starting a food blog, I gained some weight the last 2 years. Someone on the Dave Ramsey's My Total Money Makeover forums recommended MFP for keeping track of the calories, etc. So, I checked it out & jumped right in! Now I've got a big goal to get this weight off but have the tools to make it possible w/ MFP. (I hated looking for clothes, only to find a bigger size to fit me better. Plus, I have grown a double chin...ewwww.)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I was on an overnight ship on my travels and I got out of the shower in the morning and went to wrap myself up in the bath towel and I couldn`t wrap it around me. I already knew I was overweight but that was the icing on the cake for me
  • wsh1ngtn
    wsh1ngtn Posts: 2
    Options
    I weighed in at an appointment with my primary physician & it was the heaviest I had ever been. I had not been very active for a while & placed the blame on aging (67). I was unable to be as active with my grandchildren as I wanted. I found myself out of breath & exhausted after a very shout time.
    I decided then to make a change in my havbits, both mentally & physically. I want to be more involved & more active when spending time with my family. I want to lose the weight. I want to look & feel betterm I want to regain my self-esteem. I want to change my life style in a positive manner & be a good example for my family & friends.
    "The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows" Buddha. Good luck to you all. Keep the fauth.
  • marioarnaldo
    Options
    I was in really good shape, I gained weight in the last 7 years due to lack of exercise and eating after hours. My 7 years old son told me that he did not want to see me dying so I made the decision to change my life style and quit smoking and to loose weight as well.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP and started exercised but quit due to being sore. I didn't want to be sore and have to lift patients that need to be transported to the clinic. I lost my job back in November. :mad: Staying home living a sedentary lifestyle and eating whatever / whenever I wanted caused me to gain 30 pounds. :explode:

I have always wanted to lose weight but never really committed till last month. Rejoined MFP (started using it again) and started exercising again. I wanted to join the Navy ever since I was 17 but was never able to enlist because of my "beer belly" :tongue: I would love to get paid to travel around the world. I don't think I would mind being stuck on a boat for months at a time :wink:

Apparently I have to lose a whole other person to be able to think about enlisting :sad: (Max acceptable weight for people to enlist) I am hoping to get to to get to it within this year if possible (Will be hard with the pace I have been losing) :blushing:
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    when my friend started losing weight, i felt the need too as well ;D then it became more personal and i just wanted to look and feel my best. now i want to be strong :D
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    last aug before my 37 bday I step on the scale reading 236 I couldn't belive my eyes I weight that much I have never been that big I use to be 200 and I have gained 36 lbs in 2 yrs or so , I said to myself I need to do something for a change, I have decided to do mfp it took me a long time to get to 28lbs loss I been going up and down and eating not healthy I didn't know how to eat healthy I have learned along the way, I only got 78 more lbs to lose before my goal weight
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A picture of my beautiful boyfriend and I (the first I'd ever 'allowed' to be taken of us) at a party; seeing how huge I looked next to him and how ridiculous we looked together.
  • TakingControl13
    Options
    Well I've been ttc for almost 6 yrs. Being depressed and having pcos and stressing had made me gain a lot of weight. And im scared that when I finally do get pregnant ill be close to 300 lbs. Scares me to hell so ive decided to lose weight and get healthy. =)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I was sick of being fat. period.

My boyfriend of 3 years cheated on me while I was pregnant and claimed it was because I was fat. I know better now. But I lost the weight and left him.
    thats awesome!!! I just had to say it!! Soooo glad you left him!! Good for you! You are awesome
  • heiditorres9
    Options
    For me I think I was in denial about the fact that I'd put weight on, it slowly crept up on me plus I hardly ever weighed myself. Was invited to my friend's 50th Birthday party and HATED the pictures of myself that I was tagged in on Facebook afterwards.Looked so fat and bloated in them.
    Found I was starting to get out of breath a lot the last two years and couldn't do things physically like I used to be able to.
    Was diagnosed with high cholesterol in 2011 and put on medication which I was unhappy about.
    A few months ago had a routine check-up with my GP and he weighed me and said I'd put on two stone in the last two years which was a shock but also kick started my new life!!!!!
    Got back home and looked at my fourteen year old son and thought I want to be around for him when he's older and be able to do things with him.
    Then my wonderful daughter Heather told me about My Fitness Pal which she was using on her Kindle Fire and I can honestly say I haven't looked back since. Seeing your calorie intake in front of you has made all the difference to me the past two months and seeing the weight drop off from motivating myself makes me feel so much better about myself.
    Only my son and daughter and my wonderful boyfriend Richard know that I'm using My Fitness Pal as I haven't told my mum that I've lost weight yet as she's been quite critical over the fact that I used to be so thin, which I was back in my twenties and loves reminding me that I no longer am.
    When I feel the time is right I will tell her as for now my journey has just begun :happy: