I don't get it

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP?

I would say since August 2012

Meh, then it should be obvious that people dumb their conversations down for entertainment, and to communicate more effectively with the masses. Wow, I never thought I'd use the term "masses!" MFP is negatively affecting my world view . . .

You mean like asking dumb questions and seeing what lunacy people come up with? I mean, you seem to be a pro with how this forum thing works...

Yep, masses . . .

Masses are a terrible thing to waste.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Meh, then it should be obvious that people dumb their conversations down for entertainment, and to communicate more effectively with the masses. Wow, I never thought I'd use the term "masses!" MFP is negatively affecting my world view . . .

You mean like asking dumb questions and seeing what lunacy people come up with? I mean, you seem to be a pro with how this forum thing works...

Yep, masses . . .

Especially unwashed ones. I like my masses dirty.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'm stupid and uneducated, but always post in a way that will trick people into thinking I'm clever. My parents help me with the big words.

Really??? Cus you had me totally fooled! I was always dumbfounded by your amazing intelligence:)

I think he/she was being sarcastic. :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Yep, masses . . .

Especially unwashed ones. I like my masses dirty.

Watched a movies about this once...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Because when people are near a computer, radiation impulse wave-a-trons jump out of the computer screen and steal people's brain cells to encode them with new information. It was implanted by the government as a mind control technique. If you think about it, it's the only logical explanation.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I tend toward self-indulgence when I write. For most people (bell curve) it does not make for pleasant reading. However I'm not sure about one thing; are you referring to vocabulary or content?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Because when people are near a computer, radiation impulse wave-a-trons jump out of the computer screen and steal people's brain cells to encode them with new information. It was implanted by the government as a mind control technique. If you think about it, it's the only logical explanation.

I hear that's what happens with microwaves too. That explains Hot Pockets being so popular.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I hear that's what happens with microwaves too. That explains Hot Pockets being so popular.

Right!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Shi*talking about your friends just isn't cool bro! I am very happy u aren't my friend!

???? When did I ever talk smack about my friends? I said they are highly intelligent and many overly educated. That's talking *kitten*? I'm including myself in this group as well. I have 4 degrees, with an overall gpa of a 3.87. Yet, when I am confronted with people dumbing down, I find myself doing the same thing. I've always been a chameleon of sorts, and adapt my language to match those with whom I am conversing. It's not something I try to do. It's something that happens. It's kind of like the principle of mirroring behavior to deescalate intense situations, or to control the mood of a conversation.

I do that, too,.. :drinker:
  • napkinpoem
    Options
    kwdui1m.gif

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  • napkinpoem
    Options
    Is it mostly women playing dumb? Some do that because they think it's what men want.

Why the hell would they want dumb? :shrug: (Yes, I want new smileys) I like to actually interact with people on a level that doesn't annoy the p!ss out of me. I have low tolerance for dumb.

Yeah but that's you. What you think and like is not the same as everyone else. Plus, this is a casual place.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I-Dont-Know.jpg

No one Knows!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options
    I understand dumbing things down for the masses. In my job, I have to hand over anything I write to a support assistant who has the luxury of turning what I write into drivel that can be read at a 4th grade level. That frustrates me, but I understand being able to reach the lowest common denominator. Why in my inbox with PMs though?

At my job, every time I write a new training or revise an old, sh*tty one that was written by a sloth with a leaky pen, my boss calls me and says "This is a great training, but your writing is too educated for our audience. Can you bring it down to their level?"

I'm always tempted to ask, "What level is that, you condescending *kitten*?"
  • vlnalto
    vlnalto Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I blame the amount of effort required to "type" on phones/smartphones. Also, auto-correct may be a contributing factor. You could probably craft a conspiracy theory out of that, but I'm too lazy.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Is it mostly women playing dumb? Some do that because they think it's what men want.

Why the hell would they want dumb? :shrug: (Yes, I want new smileys) I like to actually interact with people on a level that doesn't annoy the p!ss out of me. I have low tolerance for dumb.

Yeah but that's you. What you think and like is not the same as everyone else. Plus, this is a casual place.

It is? Better take off these heels...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options

It is? Better take off these heels...

Causal? Well then to hell with these pants!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I tend toward self-indulgence when I write. For most people (bell curve) it does not make for pleasant reading. However I'm not sure about one thing; are you referring to vocabulary or content?

Both actually, and as I was driving to pick my son up from a dance, I thought more on this. In the forums where things fly at a frantic pace,and you need to rapid fire your responses, or you can fall behind quickly. It makes sense that you don't have the time to formulate a completely coherent response and write it well. That makes sense.

However, I guess I will stick to the PMs and wall posts, when I say sometimes I am looking for serious responses and perchance to engage someone in an intellectual discussion to find myself annoyed by grammatical issues that make the other side incomprehensible. Else, I find mindless drivel in return. I expect that in the forums, not in personal conversation.
  • dancingqueen46385
    dancingqueen46385 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    maybe the latter, people are just in a hurrry, it's not about your spelling or grammar?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

I detest hot pockets. I only eat the lean pockets. (not even those)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Whoops. I just realized I left a word out of that. I should have said low tolerance fo playing dumb. Troll threads are an exception. I love those.