the disgrace that is dominos!!

Options

Replies

• Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    No I'm not in the least bit surprised. As for who can eat a whole pizza.....me!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Since joining this website I have realised just how much the calories in food add up over the course of the day, making my unexplainable weight gain extremely explainable!

Is anybody else shocked at the calorie and fat content of Dominos Pizza?

For example a medium veggie supreme pizza contains 1,368 cals - my daily goal is 1,380!! Not to mention the garlic and herb dips, they contain 174 cals each. My friend has four tubs of the stuff when she has a Dominos, adding 696 cals to her day and a ton of fat before she has even ate any pizza!! :sick: :sick:

Yes, but that's nothing, try 660 calories for a Large Order of Onion Rings, no ketchup! That's a side dish, you still have the sandwitch/burger then the "Bloomberg soda" (snicker) to go! :wink: :laugh:

Dang it now I want a Pizza!!!!!!!! :grumble: :grumble:
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Once in a while a slice or two won't hurt but I prefer to bake the pizza at home or make one with pitta bread. What kills you? The cheese!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have to say, when I was an assistant manager at Pizza Hut in my early 20s, putting away an entire medium pan pizza (8 slices) was incredibly easy. And I'd probably go through 2-3 quarts of Mountain Dew on a shift. But I was working 50-60 hours a week, didn't have a car so I walked everywhere, and was at my lowest adult weight ever.

It wasn't until I got more sedentary that things became a problem. I didn't need the whole pizza anymore, but since I used to eat 8 slices, I figured dropping down to 4 slices was restrained. It took a long time to school myself into believing that 2 or 3 pieces are really a meal, and that the dough does not have to be pan-fried in several pumps of oil.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I could totally eat an entire med. pizza myself... but you know, the knowledge of knowing you can do it vs. the wisdom to not do that to yourself. I'm not as puzzled over people eating an entire med. pizza as I am over someone thinking that was a healthier option just because it has vegetables on it, lol. :-)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have had quite a few wake up calls since starting MFP. It is very interesting.
  • carolineo36
    Options
    Since joining this website I have realised just how much the calories in food add up over the course of the day, making my unexplainable weight gain extremely explainable!

Is anybody else shocked at the calorie and fat content of Dominos Pizza?

For example a medium veggie supreme pizza contains 1,368 cals - my daily goal is 1,380!! Not to mention the garlic and herb dips, they contain 174 cals each. My friend has four tubs of the stuff when she has a Dominos, adding 696 cals to her day and a ton of fat before she has even ate any pizza!! :sick: :sick:

1368 / 8 = 171. So, two slices = 342. Add in a side salad with oil/vinegar and you've got yourself a decent meal and it is something generally on the dieters "sin" list.

Guess my point is you don't have to eat the whole pizza ya know?

Well said! My thoughts exactly!
  • carolineo36
    Options
    Okay....so don't eat the entire pizza. Have a serving of it. Isn't that the whole point of this?

Oh sorry I mean, pizza is evil - I can't believe people eat that garbage!

Thank you for the needed laugh!!! I think you captured the battling voices in my head!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Our local Dominoes will deliver 2, 2 topping medium pizzas for 5.99 each. It's a good deal because my wife and I can get what we each want on our pizzas. Since 2 slices are more than enough for me, espcially with a smallish salad or something like, That's dinner one night and 3 days of lunches to bring to work.

The key is to not eat the entire pizza and enjoy the crust. Yes there is sauce and toppings but pizza is all about crust. I've seen people posting about making crust out of cauliflower and it makes me sad. If you fear pizza that much don't eat it. If you make human size meals out of it, pizza can be fine.

The secret as many others here have said is to not fold the whole thing in have and eat it in one bite.

I cannot believe I ever ate a sausage/pepperoni/extra cheese pizza from dominoes all by myself...
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

1368 / 8 = 171. So, two slices = 342. Add in a side salad with oil/vinegar and you've got yourself a decent meal and it is something generally on the dieters "sin" list.

Guess my point is you don't have to eat the whole pizza ya know?

This is what I was thinking! You're not supposed to eat the whole thing. A serving is 1 or 2 slices, not 8. :noway:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone else remembers those. I remember when I was young that our monthly treat was going to the cinema and Pizza Hut afterwards. They did individual pizzas which were about the size of a size plate - but I've noticed that nobody seems to do these now. From my observations the smallest size of pizza from anywhere is 9", but quite often 12" and people treat the 12" as one portion.

Now personally I bloody hate cold pizza (or reheated pizza) so if there's nobody to share it with I just don't get one. The other thing is that I don't like high-street pizzas anymore - if I have one I'll go to an independent who's doing proper wood-fired pizza oven jobs that are ultra thin/crispy and not so loaded with fat that the box they come in go transparent.

I agree- another sign that chain restaurants are cutting down your options for smaller portions. The wood-fired pizza place you mentioned reminds me of the one in the town where I used to live- they had a lovely, thin, crispy crust and some varieties had a lot of veggies (including fresh mushrooms, not from a can). They sold slices and one slice was fine for me. That's how to eat pizza.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Susanthecatwhisperer Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    HO LEE CRAP!
    That's scary! I'm always amazed at calories at restaurants!
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ...It's pizza. Duh. Also, nobody needs to eat a medium. You have a couple of slices when you want to indulge & make good choices the rest of the day.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    shocked? gawd no :laugh: If I were making pizza for the masses, do you really think I'd be making 'diet' pizza :noway:
    It's freaking Domino's.

Where's the outrage over the Big Mac? :smokin:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

Where's the outrage over the Big Mac? :smokin:
    The outrage is that the Big Mac is so LOW calories - far from big ;).
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My sister had a trick when eating pizza at home or at a restaurant. She blotted the melted cheese with paper napkins. That's all extra fat that comes off!
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I love Domino's. So delicious. Good for an occasional disgustingly unhealthy meal.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I lubb pizza. The Brownies I volunteer for had a swim and pizza party last night.. Dominoes next to the leisure centre ftw. I had a mozarella stick and a slice and I wanted another piece but those 8-10 year olds are TOTALLY able to shovel down food like no-one's business.

Lidl do frozen pizzas that are around 800 cals for the whole thing, either the Spinach or the Vegetable flavour. I'll either share one with my mum or have the whole thing if I have the cals and I just cbb. The vegetable one has jalapenos and olives. It's amazing.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    Not surprised at all..and pizza is not the enemy.. 1368 is actually pretty good for a pizza something you can eat all day and meet your cals goal lmaoooo.... 2 pieces for breakfast, 3 for lunch 3 for dinner..actually doesnt sound too bad lmaooo... MMMmn pizza lol

Lmao i personally can not eat a whole pizza in one sitting but i can eat two pizzas during the coarse of the day and next day and have done it many times..shameful i know lol....

My little Brother and one of my girl friend's can eat a whole large pizza and sides with zero problems and not gain.. oh but im not complaining lol oh well:drinker: :cry: :huh: :yawn: :sick: :frown: :grumble: