So, are carbs evil or not?

Options

Replies

• belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Since your brain runs on carbs, I would say they aren't evil.

Your brain does not run on carbs, it runs on glucose which you can get from protein and fats. You don't actually "need" carbs.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Jesus broke the bread and gave thanks and said, "Take this all of you and eat it, but just a little because it is really high in simple carbs......"
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Your brain does not run on carbs, it runs on glucose which you can get from protein and fats. You don't actually "need" carbs.

yes you do. you need them for muscle repair, and they are still the "preferred" source of energy for the brain. additionally vitamins found in fruit and veggie carbs aren't found anywhere else.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What is glucose?
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy nor are they evil. Quality does matter of any type of macronutrient be it carbs, fats or proteins. Eat them all good foods!

CalvinLowCarbComic.jpg
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Carbs differ. Wheat is evil. It make you hungry and kills diets.
    Basically all calories are equal when it comes to weight loss, but consider a burger, bread, fries, and coke can run you over 1000 calories and not really have any vitamins or fiber. Well, a bit in the potato, but the fact that it is fried and browned on the outside means that it has some cancer causing chemical now.
  • KBSwinger
    Options

Carbs make glucose better than proteins or fats. We may not need carbs but I sure as heck will feel down without them.

good-carb-1.jpg
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No, unless you are have family with diabetes, have had gestational diabetes or are on antidepressants.
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    Carbs differ. Wheat is evil. It make you hungry and kills diets.
    Basically all calories are equal when it comes to weight loss, but consider a burger, bread, fries, and coke can run you over 1000 calories and not really have any vitamins or fiber. Well, a bit in the potato, but the fact that it is fried and browned on the outside means that it has some cancer causing chemical now.

Who says wheat is evil? Maybe you do with your experience with it but it isn't evil!

We eat healthy foods that we really don't know how they are made... Everything can cause cancer when you think about it
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    No, unless you are have family with diabetes, have had gestational diabetes or are on antidepressants.

Again it comes down to the above your experiences and or health. But to say you shouldn't eat them because they are evil? Damn this forum and stupid people!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, yes it really comes down to calorie deficits. I eat in a lower carbohydrate way for my own beliefs, but I don't believe carbohydrates are "evil." I would however say they can be harmful if too high of a percentage of your diet is carbohydrate based.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    WHITE CARBS CAN BE WITH TO MUCH BUT GOOD CARBS HELL NOOO IF YOU WERE ONLY TO EAT FRUITS N VEGGIES, AND DNUTS AND SEEDS AND HEALTHY FATS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE YOU WOULD PROBLEY BE MORE THAN FIT AND VERY HEALTHY AND THOSE ARE CARBS,
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    Not at all. As long as your diet doesn't consist primarily of them, they're awesome.
    Agreed. I :heart: my carbs.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options

yes you do. you need them for muscle repair, and they are still the "preferred" source of energy for the brain. additionally vitamins found in fruit and veggie carbs aren't found anywhere else.

You kind of contradict yourself. You say the brain does not run on carbs, it runs on glucose. Glucose is a carbohydrate. You do need some carbohydrates, though it can be much lower than the standard North American diet. If you do a lot of cardio, you will need increased carbohydrates to continue to fuel the muscles. I personally don't agree with no carbs simply because fruits and veggies are extremely healthful.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Personally if my carbs creep up all weight loss stops. A 3/4 month plateau proved this to me with big deficits. I stick to 120. Not sayong they never run a bit higher, but they do greatly impact my losses if they sneak up, same for sugar.

I got away with losing the first 40lbs doing calories in vs calories out, but it didn't work out long term for me. I see it with my friends time after time on here too, they only start losing once they are in check. If your way is working carry on, if it stops working look at it.

Zara x
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    Just got this ad! YUMMO

2ypk9w8.png
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Ugh...another one of these?

Food cannot be evil. It can't even be bad. It can be more or less nutritious and more or less healthy...food has no morals, ergo: it cannot be good or bad/evil.

Eat healthy carbs like whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and legumes/beans.

I really wish people would stop making carbohydrate out to be the villain of the food world.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Based on the sampling I have seen here on this site, many people have one, two or all three of those situations. I had gestational diabetes, and I have a brother with severe Type II diabetes. Many researchers believe that morbid obesity (which I had until my weight loss--now I am merely "overweight") and Type II diabetes is essentially the same disease (they call it "diabesity") because of the very high rate of Type II among the morbidly obese. There is often a huge weight gain among those taking antidepressants and Type II as well.

Eliminating sugar and simple carbs and restricting my carbohydrates in general, to around 100 grams a day was very significant in terms of weight loss and reducing my tendency toward Type II (my fasting blood sugar returned to normal, as did my A1C and triglycerides). My cholesterol and blood pressure normalized without medication as well.
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    Ugh...another one of these?

Food cannot be evil. It can't even be bad. It can be more or less nutritious and more or less healthy...food has no morals, ergo: it cannot be good or bad/evil.

Eat healthy carbs like whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and legumes/beans.

I really wish people would stop making carbohydrate out to be the villain of the food world.

I agree
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    No more carb-bullying, carb-shaming threads! It just ain't right!