fasting cleanses?

Options
I've been thinking about trying a fasting cleanse for 3 days (norm is ten days but I've never tired it before so I'm taking it slow). Does anyone have any experience with fasting cleanses?? It calls for saltwater drinks in the morning followed by lemon tea and grade B maple syrup drinks and at night senna laxative tea.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet.

Get regular exercise

Drink water

Let your body handle the rest.

A "cleanse" is unnecessary and often does more harm than good.
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet.

Get regular exercise

Drink water

^^^This
  • backtovee
    backtovee Posts: 13
    Options
    I find that 'cleanses' do more for your mental state of being rather than your overall physical improvement. If I've had a rough couple of weeks, eating badly and not working out, it helps me get in the right mindset for beginning and committing to a more sustainable, healthy lifestyle. If you're doing it for the right reasons, and you're being conscious of the side effects of whichever cleanse you're doing, it can be positive.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet.

Get regular exercise

Drink water

TH IS ^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's called the Master Cleanse.

I suggest you read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/851582-master-cleanse-aka-lemonade-diet-my-30-day-story

Also: The Master Cleanse is a particularly ridiculous and potentially dangerous 'cleanse' as the extreme version of it encourages the use of enemas and laxatives. The loon who came up with this in 1940, Stanley Burroughs, was convicted of practicing medicine without a license and imprisoned, and he was convicted of second degree murder, later overturned, for his role in the death of a desperate leukemia patient, whose cancer Burroughs tried to cure with the Master Cleanse and other irresponsible batsh!t crazy practices. To put his totally whacko’ness into perspective, here is a following quote from him when asked about protein “we are able to assimilate and build the nitrogen also into our bodies as protein … by natural bacteria action….” In other words, by breathing!

There is absolutely no reason you need to detox or cleanse anything. Our body does a very good job of it already and there is no medical evidence that these diets actually rid the body of any toxins that would not be discarded in bodily waste under a normal diet.

Eat right, train, rest, repeat.

Edited for typo
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet.

Get regular exercise

Drink water

Bang on!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Any diet that calls for a laxative is not a good idea. Also the lemonade cleanse is a bad idea. You get very few nutrients and are subsisting on a liquid diet. Not sustainable, doesn't teach you anything about healthy living, and is likely to leave you very hungry and binging. Fasts and cleanses are also going to leave you with other symptoms - weakness, shakiness, headaches, etc from not eating.

The body is not a car, it does not need its oil changed. The kindest thing you can do for your body is start feeding it properly - immediately. Do not put off this lesson for a time when you've finished a "cleanse".
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I suggest you read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/851582-master-cleanse-aka-lemonade-diet-my-30-day-story

Also: The Master Cleanse is a particularly ridiculous and potentially dangerous 'cleanse' as the extreme version of it encourages the use of enemas and laxatives. The loon who came up with this in 1940, Stanley Burroughs, was convicted of practicing medicine without a license and imprisoned, and he was convicted of second degree murder, later overturned, for his role in the death of a desperate leukemia patient, whose cancer Burroughs tried to cure with the Master Cleanse and other irresponsible batsh!t crazy practices. To put his totally whacko’ness into perspective, here is a following quote from him when asked about protein “we are able to assimilate and build the nitrogen also into our bodies as protein … by natural bacteria action….” In other words, by breathing!

There is absolutely no reason you need to detox or cleanse anything. Our body does a very good job of it already and there is no medical evidence that these diets actually rid the body of any toxins that would not be discarded in bodily waste under a normal diet.

Edited for typo

^This x1000
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet.

Get regular exercise

Drink water

^^^THIS^^^ every time :drinker:
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    like the others said
    if you eat clean 80 -20 % there is no need to cleanse
    drink lots of water and add lemon to it
    and if you feel you need to get toxins out of your body that we all have add a supplement that will help detox your body but do not stop eating
    drink fresh homemade juices that are made with Organic fresh Veggies and fruit
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    due to high polutions and processed fooods and stress our bodies are not as efficient as they should be at cleansing and detoxing themselves, so for many people a cleanse is actually nessesary however i do not like the sound of the one you are talking about at all sounds bloody awfull if i'm honest.

as already suggested a clean balances diet, exercise is imperative as it gets the lymphatics moving which help to expell toxins via the lungs, and lots of water, i would also recommend drinking daily a good qaulity pure inner leaf aloe vera gel, it's excellent at helping to cleanse the digestive tract of the mucous that builds up preventing the absorption of the nutrients from our foods, and causing toxins to actually be released into the system, it's natural and safe and works!!! 60 mls twice a day on an empty stomach 20-30 mins before food and must be pure and inner leaf gel for it to be any good Forever Living do the best qaulity on the market google them you can order online.

If you google leaky gut syndrome you will find more information on whay our bodies are not working at expeliing these toxins properly and the effect it then has on our bodies you will also find info on how aloe vera can help with leaky gut

HTH

editted to add that wheatgrass juice is also excellent
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    From experience - cleanses are a waste of time. You will be MUCH happier and feel so much better if you just eat right and exercise. Its the best thing you can do for your body.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I find that 'cleanses' do more for your mental state of being rather than your overall physical improvement. If I've had a rough couple of weeks, eating badly and not working out, it helps me get in the right mindset for beginning and committing to a more sustainable, healthy lifestyle. If you're doing it for the right reasons, and you're being conscious of the side effects of whichever cleanse you're doing, it can be positive.

SO EXACTLY THIS!!!!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

I suggest you read this:

Edited for typo

As stated above, you are NOT to use laxatives and enemas during this cleanse. It is PURE natural. Thus don't believe everything everyone says on MFP. It would be nice if those who told you how to do it actually read the book.

I have tried the MC twice and today I started my third. If you would like to talk with positive people who have experience, I can connect you with people who have correct information and actual experience in groups on Facebook, etc.

There isn't much support here. They do things which *I* consider potentially dangerous (but hey, it's okay if THEY have their vice) . Last night I stated I was going on this cleanse and was told, "I will be thinking about you while I "eat my ice cream." wouldn't it be NICE to not have any weight and health issues and be able to eat ice cream every day? What's rude, is rubbing itn someone's face on a cleanse support link. I mean, 'REALLY?'

Anyway, let me know if you're looking for some answers to your questions and support, I'll connect you with the right people.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying a fasting cleanse for 3 days (norm is ten days but I've never tired it before so I'm taking it slow). Does anyone have any experience with fasting cleanses?? It calls for saltwater drinks in the morning followed by lemon tea and grade B maple syrup drinks and at night senna laxative tea.

that's the master cleanse and it's a scam and also a terrible idea.

any weight you lose will be water and you will regain it quickly after you finish.

don't do it. don't do anything called a cleanse. they are all scams aimed at gullible people.

if you wanted to do a cleanse because you feel bloated, then spend a couple of days eating low sodium foods and drinking lots of water. this will flush out the excess water. if you want to spend a couple of days eating "healthy" foods (i don't actually agree with that term, but this isn't the right place for that argument), then go ahead and stick to a menu of fruits and vegetables during that time.

both of these will do more for how you feel than following a silly cleanse that is only going to dehydrate you.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You will get beaten up here for even mentioning it!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

YEAH, that was a great thread. Read that, OP. You don't need a cleanse, you need a different mindset. Exercise and eat right and you've got it made. :smile:
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

that's the master cleanse and it's a scam and also a terrible idea.

any weight you lose will be water and you will regain it quickly after you finish.

don't do it. don't do anything called a cleanse. they are all scams aimed at gullible people.

if you wanted to do a cleanse because you feel bloated, then spend a couple of days eating low sodium foods and drinking lots of water. this will flush out the excess water. if you want to spend a couple of days eating "healthy" foods (i don't actually agree with that term, but this isn't the right place for that argument), then go ahead and stick to a menu of fruits and vegetables during that time.

both of these will do more for how you feel than following a silly cleanse that is only going to dehydrate you.

Again, don't believe everything people on MFP say who have never tried it. I didn't gain my weight back nearly a year later.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

As stated above, you are NOT to use laxatives and enemas during this cleanse. It is PURE natural. Thus don't believe everything everyone says on MFP. It would be nice if those who told you how to do it actually read the book.

I have tried the MC twice and today I started my third. If you would like to talk with positive people who have experience, I can connect you with people who have correct information and actual experience in groups on Facebook, etc.

There isn't much support here. They do things which *I* consider potentially dangerous (but hey, it's okay if THEY have their vice) . Last night I stated I was going on this cleanse and was told, "I will be thinking about you while I "eat my ice cream." wouldn't it be NICE to not have any weight and health issues and be able to eat ice cream every day? What's rude, is rubbing itn someone's face on a cleanse support link. Ice cream daily is sure healthier for your body than cleansing it. . .right? I mean really?

Anyway, let me know if you're looking for some answers to your questions and support, I'll connect you with the right people.

tumblr_lnfxmvdbxO1qhz3hpo1_500.gif