100 Colonoscopies

Options

Replies

• wolfehound22
    Options
    Had one a month ago, had some stomach issues, and found out I have Ulcerative Colitis, so I will be getting one every few years now
  • i have one every years as i have Crohns , my most recent one was last year. very important to have them especially when you have symptoms especially dihoerra and bleeding !
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Colonoscopies are so important! I have UC. It has been four years since my first and only one. Scheduled to go in again on Oct 30th as I have been very anemic and they think something is going on inside bleeding or what not. Hope and pray I don't have colon cancer, but it is always a possibility.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good for all of you getting your colonoscopies done! I have had one this year already plus a flexible sigmoidoscopy because I have UC as well. I get one just about every year.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Had my first at 50. Was supposed to have another in 10 years since first one was good. Started having some severe lower abdominal pain last year. Dr. ordered another & found 3 polyps. Not sure what they would have been if I'd waited 2 years to have it done again. Now I have to repeat in 3 years. Glad to do it if it keeps me healthy! (side note: I am a 12 year breast cancer survivor...Ladies, have you had your mammograms??? Mine saved my life!!!):flowerforyou:
  • janaq2003
    janaq2003 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Having one on monday....thinking about the prep makes me gag.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am going for my first one on Friday since I just turned 50 a month ago. Initially I was looking for an excuse to cancel and reschedule which I would have put off for months or years I am sure. After reading a few articles and this post I will be going to my appointment Friday. I won't lie, I am nervous about it but I know it needs to get done. On the bright side maybe I will lose a couple of pounds:wink:
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Going to be prepping for my 2nd one this weekend. (I take 2 days for fluids only so the actual cleansing is much easier.) family history of polyps and I had 8 (3 Pre-cancerous ones) last year at my first. My best advice is to find a doctor who has been recommended by someone you know. Ask lots of questions!
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Okay, you all have convinced me! I was going to be making a doctor's appointment tomorrow anyways and I will now be adding this to the list of what to ask for. Thank you all!
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a doctors appt on March 25th, and we will be scheduling one.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My last one was in 2008, so I'm due for one in 2013. I have Ulcerative Colitis, though luckily because it's (so far and hopefully forever) restricted to the descending colon, it doesn't impact my cancer risk the way full-blown UC does...but still, my grandfather died of colon cancer, so I understand how important it is to monitor one's bottom.

This earlier post was me...and I just had my 2013 one. The Ulcerative Colitis has spread, but no cancer (always a good thing). Now if I can just get this damned UC back into remission like it was when I made the original post...
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you got you 100th - but you can add 2 more in - my husband and I will both be having our routine 10 year in early May. Thanks for helping to educate about the importance of this simple exam. Yeah - the prep's not so fun, but manageable - but...the colonoscopy is easy peasey - you wake up so refreshed - it's a blink - I second the motion (pun intended) GO GET YOUR COLONOSCOPIES! :flowerforyou:
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I will try again. The one time I was scheduled, the prep made me so sick and triggered a migraine from hell to the point I was unable to undergo the procedure.:sick: Going to find a new doc and new prep. Thanks for posting! My DL has them done regularly due to polyps and other issues.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had one 3 years ago and they recommended that I have another as a followup. I will be doing in the next couple months.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You all warm my heart! I will be sharing with my husband and siblings how this encouragement keeps spreading!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Don't know what number you're up to, but I am actually scheduling mine this week!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I had my first at 35 (family hx of colon cancer) and have had one every 5 years since (all have been normal). Next is scheduled for 60, 4 years away. :)
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had my last one done in 2008, so i am supposed to have one in 2013!
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm going on Wednesday (hopefully I will remain on an every 10 year schedule). My BFF heard I had scheduled mine and remembered her dr. wanted her to schedule hers. So now she is going on Wednesday too, same time. My husband is the designated driver. We are laughing at the ridiculousness of the timing and enjoying complaining about the prep.
  • qwertymh
    qwertymh Posts: 38
    Options
    Really good post! Also for younger people to pay attention to this and go see someone if you have problems! My first colonoscopy I had aged 16! now, 6 years later I am going for my 4th one next month due to worsening symptoms and treatment not working :(