fasting??

Options

Replies

• jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have read that people who went through the Great Depression (when meals were not 3 a day) on average lived 6 years longer . We too are animals and were not "built" to eat like this everyday!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You want to fast? Go ahead. Want to drink meal replacement shakes? Have at it. Want to juice? Juice it. Want to take pills? Take them. Want to do some fad diet or do the raspberry ketone thing, or whatever it is? Just do it. But if weight loss is what you are after, it's as simple as eating at a deficit. Really. If it takes one of these things to get you to a deficit, great! I just try to eat a little smarter than yesterday and move a little more, but I'm new, what do I know.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I fail to understand the point of fasting when you can lose all the weight you want by eating properly at a caloric deficit and exercising frequently. Why starve yourself unnecessarily?

Because being able to be at a healthy body weight, AND regulary eat 1500+ calories in single meals makes this whole life style much easier and more sustainable for me. Also, I never feel starved ?

:noway: So you fast so you can enjoy a 1500 calorie meal? Lmao. I don't understand fasting when is not a religious reason, even after the explanations. Despite you saying you're not starving, if you don't eat the whole day that's called starving. What do you do when someone is eating a favorite craving of yours? I get it, you've got willpower.

I like calorie counting. It encourages mindful eating and i've learned more about food. I've been preparing my own meals more than ever upon realizing how much fat and calories are snuck into your food. Cheese cake factory is a grand example. A bunch of masochists we have here...

The beautiful part of fasting is if your hungry eat, no big deal. You can start again tomorrow. And really I drink water all day and find I don't get hungry until my time is almost up. For some reason I have a hard time fasting when I work (not because it's work but because I sit there all day with nothing to do and it makes me hungry). Fasting is awesome and so easy. I think if you ever seriously tried it you'd love it.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I fail to understand the point of fasting when you can lose all the weight you want by eating properly at a caloric deficit and exercising frequently. Why starve yourself unnecessarily?

Because being able to be at a healthy body weight, AND regulary eat 1500+ calories in single meals makes this whole life style much easier and more sustainable for me. Also, I never feel starved ?

:noway: So you fast so you can enjoy a 1500 calorie meal? Lmao. I don't understand fasting when is not a religious reason, even after the explanations. Despite you saying you're not starving, if you don't eat the whole day that's called starving. What do you do when someone is eating a favorite craving of yours? I get it, you've got willpower.

I like calorie counting. It encourages mindful eating and i've learned more about food. I've been preparing my own meals more than ever upon realizing how much fat and calories are snuck into your food. Cheese cake factory is a grand example. A bunch of masochists we have here...

I respect your opinion. I’m glad you found something that works for you. I do not know what kind of fasting that you think of when you hear that term, but I do eat every single day. I just do it within a tighter time frame than perhaps you do.Also, it is incorrect to say that it is the same as starving. I watch my nutrients close and aside from the occasional day when life and work leaves me with no choice but eating outside the home; I cook almost all my meals from scratch.

But basically yes. one of the main reasons I chose this way of eating is so I can enjoy large satisfying meals regularly. and if I see somebody eating something that I want, I either fit it into my daily requirements, or show some self-control and just don't partake.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    You want to fast? Go ahead. Want to drink meal replacement shakes? Have at it. Want to juice? Juice it. Want to take pills? Take them. Want to do some fad diet or do the raspberry ketone thing, or whatever it is? Just do it. But if weight loss is what you are after, it's as simple as eating at a deficit. Really. If it takes one of these things to get you to a deficit, great! I just try to eat a little smarter than yesterday and move a little more, but I'm new, what do I know.

you can't possibly be new if you already know to truth :-)

eat less than you burn = weight loss. Doesn't really matter how you get it done.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

eat less than you burn = weight loss. Doesn't really matter how you get it done.

Not one person on this thread has said anything different to that though.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options

Perhaps I should have just said I concur. I was simply agreeing in what I intended to be a friendly manner.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Fasting is stupid and you'll just ruin your metabolism. You will lose weight even faster if you have a healthy calorie goal and excercise a lot

Bro science at its finest
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Except that weight loss is not the ultimate benefit of intermittent fasting. All things being equal (caloric intake, macros, etc.), IF provides the following benefits:
    - autophagy
    - lower blood pressure
    - better blood lipids
    - hGH boost
    - lowered weight and body composition
    - may help in preventing Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Huntington's by enhancing synaptic plasticity
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Perhaps I should have just said I concur. I was simply agreeing in what I intended to be a friendly manner.

Yes but you're concurring with a post that puts regular fasting in a group with popping pills and drinking diet shakes.

I think its pretty obvious from the science behind it and the knowledge of the people doing it that it is NOT a faddy diet or akin to popping diet pills.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Except that weight loss is not the ultimate benefit of intermittent fasting. All things being equal (caloric intake, macros, etc.), IF provides the following benefits:
    - autophagy
    - lower blood pressure
    - better blood lipids
    - hGH boost
    - lowered weight and body composition
    - may help in preventing Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Huntington's by enhancing synaptic plasticity

Studies have shown all of these benefits in small scale studies done so far.

I practice intermittent fasting for the health benefits and because it fits easily into my lifestyle. I usually do between 16/8 and 20/4 and add in at least one 24 hour fast (dinner to dinner). It is definitely something that I can stick to for the rest of my life. For me it reduces mindless eating (because I'm fasting for a good portion of the day), makes it really easy to stick with my calories and reduces stress about packing lunches, etc... I also don't get hungry during that time so I don't feel like I'm starving.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    That isn't strictly true, I tried IF last year, I am T2 diabetic and initially did the Newcastle diet which is 4 weeks of just shakes then four weeks of shakes and 200 calories of green veg. You can look up the diet, it was devised by a university professor for T2 diabetics, with the aim to help us lose weight and defat our liver as well as given better control. Many people came off all medication after the diet. Now as you can imagine it's pretty tough just shakes for four weeks, but I then tried IF I did 5:2 and I found that harder than the Newcastle diet. I also didn't see or feel any real results. I think it is something that can work for a great many people, just not all of us. I usually eat during a window of 6-7 hours per day, which seems to suit my system a lot better. Try IF if you think it may work, but don't feel defeated if it's not for you.

Oops sorry, my post was in reply to sijomial on page two.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options
    That isn't strictly true, I tried IF last year, I am T2 diabetic and initially did the Newcastle diet which is 4 weeks of just shakes then four weeks of shakes and 200 calories of green veg. You can look up the diet, it was devised by a university professor for T2 diabetics, with the aim to help us lose weight and defat our liver as well as given better control. Many people came off all medication after the diet. Now as you can imagine it's pretty tough just shakes for four weeks, but I then tried IF I did 5:2 and I found that harder than the Newcastle diet. I also didn't see or feel any real results. I think it is something that can work for a great many people, just not all of us. I usually eat during a window of 6-7 hours per day, which seems to suit my system a lot better. Try IF if you think it may work, but don't feel defeated if it's not for you.

This is a form of intermittent fasting... Usually referred to as the "leangains protocol" but it's been around for a while. That would be an 18/6 or 17/7 daily fast...

Edited to fix typo
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I was plateaued for 4 months...I tried increasing calories, then increasing protein, lowering calories, exercising more, lifting more - NOTHING was breaking this plateau.

Until I tried 5:2 Intermittent Fasting. Lost 3 lbs in 1 week, 2 lbs the next...and another 3 the next. :D Plateau was busted.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

This is a form of intermittent fasting... Usually referred to as the "leangains protocol" but it's been around for a while. That would be an 18/6 or 17/7 daily fast...

Edited to fix typo

Yes, sorry I didn't express what I meant properly. A 5:2 fast didn't work as I obsessed over food, where doing it as I am now means I don't obsess. While they are I guess a form of fasting, they work very differently for me and how I feel.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options

Yes but you're concurring with a post that puts regular fasting in a group with popping pills and drinking diet shakes.

I think its pretty obvious from the science behind it and the knowledge of the people doing it that it is NOT a faddy diet or akin to popping diet pills.

Sure. I understand that, Ive been eating lean gains style for a good 18 months now. But I don't think that simply fasting is the reason for my weightloss. I think even you would agree that weightloss just requires a change in energy balance and it doesn't really make a difference in how you do that.
    Also, why so defensive? Im not bashing fasting at all, but I also am choosing not to be judgmental about a person that feels the need to take other supplements in order to help them achieve their goal. If It works for a person, great, if it doesn't then find something that does.
  • maniesduchocolat
    maniesduchocolat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My sugar levels go down drastically should I skip a meal. Is not for everyone
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't get the point. Why bother?

It's a simple and easy way to keep from overeating and researchers report benefits.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    My sugar levels go down drastically should I skip a meal. Is not for everyone

No, nothing is for everyone, and fasting is not recommended for people with blood sugar regulation problems. I just did a 19-hour fasting program for 30 days and have concluded that I need to try a shorter fast because I didn't have enough energy.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

Edited to fix typo

Yes, sorry I didn't express what I meant properly. A 5:2 fast didn't work as I obsessed over food, where doing it as I am now means I don't obsess. While they are I guess a form of fasting, they work very differently for me and how I feel.

Definitely agree with you that they can feel very different! Most days I stick with 16/8-20/4 but I throw in a 24 hour fast about once a week and I personally couldn't do the alternate day fasting that some people have had great success with. A single 24 hour fast feels great to me but trying to do it every other day makes me feel pretty terrible. I think that is why there are so many different protocols, because different strokes for different folks.