Fitbit vs HRM

Options
Hi.. Im want to buy a monitor to have a better look at my workouts and work on my troubled zones.. I've heard a lot a good reviews about the fitbit one.. but, since is not a HRM, I don't know if it will be accurate when Im working out at home.. i'm not a big fan of the Chest strap.. but if I have to wear it .. I will.. I just want to know which one is better..???

If you have any good recomendations about HRM (accurate) please help me.. there is so many differents out there.. I'll be lost

Thanks y'all

Replies

• Flintbeats810
    Flintbeats810 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone will have a definitive answer to which one is better. I have a Polar FT4 HRM and I love it. i'm not knocking Fitbit or any other HRM cause i don't have them so i don't know. I was skeptical about the chest strap as well as i didn't want one with a strap but after i gave in and got it I honestlt forget i'm wearing it unless do an exercise where i'm laying down (like hamstring curls). Polar is a little pricey but come with good reviews and a lot of recommendations. But again you have to pick whats best for you and fits in your budget. I just didn't want to get somethign cheap and then end up upgrading. So I went with Polar HRM. Not sure if this was helpful
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I got polar h7 strap and iRunner digifit app pro

Logs everything on my phone. It absolutely brilliant.

I'm a nerd and love seeing graphs and pie charts. Totally cool
  • Mary2302
    Mary2302 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot.. I don't want that to happen to me neither (buy something cheap and then end up having to spend more money b/c it wasn't what I expect it..) ..
  • Mary2302
    Mary2302 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin fr70. Love love love it. Chest strap is not uncomfortable at all. I wear it every day at least 8 hours a day because I am on meds and like to keep an eye on my heart rate. I have found the foot pod and the chest strap to give VERY different numbers on calorie burn when running outside, but other than that, I cant imagine a day without it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I use both a Fitbit and an HRM. I have an HRM with a chest strap that connects via bluetooth to my Android phone and syncs up to the Endomondo app to keep accurate calorie counts. I use the Fitbit for daily activities other than dedicated workouts, and I use the HRM + Endo for workouts. I simply add the 2 together for total daily calories (TDEE). It works great for me.

Edited to add that I use the HRM that you can buy from the Endomondo website. The strap is actually comfy because it is stretchy cloth without the pinchy plastic that most HRMs have.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I still can't fathom a reason to think an HRM would be better than the Fitbit, which measures your actual movement and therefore energy expenditure. The accuracy of an HRM depends heavily on your VO2, which you just won't know and can only estimate.

HRM calories burned seemed to be consistently higher for pretty much everyone who compares, which is a big red flag to me. I'm a huge geek and I'm really, really into data collection. I'd buy an HRM in a second if I thought it provided a more accurate picture than the Fitbit, but I just don't see it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A FitBit is a glorified pedometer. It doesn't know the intensity of your movements just that you're moving. At least a HRM is using your HR as an indicator of effort.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    A FitBit is a glorified pedometer. It doesn't know the intensity of your movements just that you're moving. At least a HRM is using your HR as an indicator of effort.

No, this is totally wrong.

I don't know what "intensity" means and I doubt if you could offer a realistic definition of what you mean either. The Fitbit records acceleration in 3 dimensions. It also knows your mass. It can rather accurately calculate energy expenditure using acceleration and mass. There's a reason it works so well for people.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

I don't know what "intensity" means and I doubt if you could offer a realistic definition of what you mean either. The Fitbit records acceleration in 3 dimensions. It also knows your mass. It can rather accurately calculate energy expenditure using acceleration and mass. There's a reason it works so well for people.

what this person means is that a fitbit is more of a measure of general activity. It couldnt give you remotely accurate figures for an intense cardio workout in the same way a HRM with a chest band would be useless in monitoring your sleep, which is a fitbit feature.

if you want a decent, accurate figure for a WORKOUT, then get a HRM with a chest band.

If you want an activity meter, get a nike fuelband.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It couldnt give you remotely accurate figures for an intense cardio workout in the same way a HRM with a chest band would be useless in monitoring your sleep, which is a fitbit feature.

Why? Offer a real explanation.
  • nakfam
    nakfam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't speak on any of the HRM's out there, but I've been using the Fitbit for about 7-8 months and love it! It is more than a pedometer in that it registers steps as well as floors. The one that I have also comes with a wrist strap and registers movement while you sleep. It has been very helpful for me to get a better idea of why I had been so tired (moving a ton while I sleep!). I've made some changes in eating habits resulting in a big improvement there.
    The FB syncs well with MFP and since I've been recording all my food (more food in database on MFP) and tracking my calories better, I've had more success in shedding pounds.
    I track my activity in Fitbit and foods in MFP... the two combined make for success in my book!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Good to know. I bought both. Haven't recieved the flex and the polar is on the way. I'll prob end up keeping both then. The flex sounded too cool not to order.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Good to know. I bought both. Haven't recieved the flex and the polar is on the way. I'll prob end up keeping both then. The flex sounded too cool not to order.

FWIW, I wear my Fitbit all the time and I'm rather active. I play a lot of tennis and raquetball, lift 3 times a week, etc. On the treadmill, the Fitbit gives virtually identical calorie burns as the treadmill itself. The Fitbit shows me burning ~400 calories an hour during a typical singles tennis match, which 'feels' about right to me given my level of exertion. A 2-hour racquetball session gives me around 750. These are fairly intense activities and the Fitbit seems spot-on all the time.
  • bluefox9er
    Options
    It couldnt give you remotely accurate figures for an intense cardio workout in the same way a HRM with a chest band would be useless in monitoring your sleep, which is a fitbit feature.

Why? Offer a real explanation.

because it isn't engineered or designed to do that. thats like asking why don't marathon runners race in ice skates.
  • bluefox9er
    Options

FWIW, I wear my Fitbit all the time and I'm rather active. I play a lot of tennis and raquetball, lift 3 times a week, etc. On the treadmill, the Fitbit gives virtually identical calorie burns as the treadmill itself. The Fitbit shows me burning ~400 calories an hour during a typical singles tennis match, which 'feels' about right to me given my level of exertion. A 2-hour racquetball session gives me around 750. These are fairly intense activities and the Fitbit seems spot-on all the time.

i ran 20 miles today. I "felt" like I had burnt 6,000 calories. My HRM said only 2,200.
  • jonnythan
    Options

i ran 20 miles today. I "felt" like I had burnt 6,000 calories. My HRM said only 2,200.

You're pretty bad at estimating your own calorie burn then aren't you ;)
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    The expensive HRM's allow you to input your VO2 to get a more accurate calorie expenditure:

http://www8.garmin.com/train-with-garmin/metabolic-testing.html

Or have a fitness test to attempt to calculate your VO2 max:
    http://www.polar.com/en/support/How_to_perform_Polar_Fitness_Test

They are expensive though.

Fitbit doesn't have this ability so an expensive HRM would be more accurate than a fitbit. It also doesn't work well for some sports that don't involve steps as that is it's primary function. A fitbit is good for everyday activity measurement though.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Fitbit looks pretty neat and all.. but I love my Polar FT4 HRM =) I am a girl and I don't mind the chest strap in the least bit! =) I actually forget to take it off sometimes.. I forget its there until I'm getting in the shower.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The expensive HRM's allow you to input your VO2 to get a more accurate calorie expenditure:

http://www8.garmin.com/train-with-garmin/metabolic-testing.html

Or have a fitness test to attempt to calculate your VO2 max:
    http://www.polar.com/en/support/How_to_perform_Polar_Fitness_Test

They are expensive though.

Fitbit doesn't have this ability so an expensive HRM would be more accurate than a fitbit. It also doesn't work well for some sports that don't involve steps as that is it's primary function. A fitbit is good for everyday activity measurement though.

Yes, I agree that if you actually knew your VO2 max, and were able to keep the measurement up as you progressed in your training, it would be more useful to determine calories.