Hummus....

Options
1235»

Replies

• shellplen
    shellplen Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks I'll try my local health food shop, I've never seen it in the supermarket.
  • shellplen
    shellplen Posts: 31
    Options
    This is my go-to that I got from a friend:

1 can chickpeas/garbonzo beans in water (preferably low-sodium/no salt added)
    1/4 c of water from the can
    juice from 1 lemon
    1 1/2 T tahini
    1 t minced garlic (or 2 garlic cloves, crushed)
    1/2 t salt
    2 T olive oil
    1 dash cayenne pepper, or to taste

Drain peas/beans except 1/4 c into measuring cup. Combine all ingredients into blender or food processor, including reserved water. Blend well for 3-5 minutes or until smooth.

I also just tried a new one that's flavored with sweet corn and roasted jalapeno: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/05/sweet-corn-roasted-jalapeno-hummus/

YAY! I have everything here. Guess who is making hummus tonight!!!
    Is the T. Teaspoon or tablespoon?
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I mash up the chick peas and add salsa...it's delicious!!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'll eat it with anything!
    Names a good sandwich spread too:)
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try my local health food shop, I've never seen it in the supermarket.

I assume you are in the UK? Try local Middleeastern, or Greek, food shops, they would definitely have it. In the USA almost all supermarkets have it, usually near the health food or middle east sections. The halva bars that they sell everywhere are made of tahini and the same companies make the tahini jars as well.
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I make hummus about every other day from whatever bean I happen to have cooked and lying around. I use it as a sauce, spread, dip...you name it!

I'M WITH YOU!!
  • Mikaylajayney
    Mikaylajayney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What do YOU do with it? I bought some for the first time tonight on a recommendation of a co-worker...but really don't know what to do with it....

If you like hummus you should try out roasted chickpeas. Take the can, drain it, spread out the chickepeas on a cookie sheet. Season them with whatever you want (hot sauce is great, garlic and Parmesan is also fabulous... I want to try sesame next...) and bake them for 40-45 minutes.

They're all soft in the middle, and toasty on the outside and make a GREAT evening snack. They also travel well, and taste good cold. Keep in mind I said "good" cold... not "amazing" cold. But I sure like them either way.

Some restaurants will have deep friend Chickpeas on their menu. While I'm sure this detracts from some of the healthy properties of these amazing little beans they are AMAZING!!!!!

Also, marinated Chickpea salad. So good!

If you're on Pinterest (which you should be... the recipes!!!) do a search for chickpeas!