Any petite ladies out there!

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    How does one train to get taller?

I'm assuming eating at a surplus and undergoing some sort of stretching exercise.

Maybe yoga?

Is there anyway I can get shorter?

I'd like it if people thought I was cute when I got really really mad.

There are two methods. I was a gymnast when I was younger (until I grew too tall) and coached gymnastics in college. Gymanstics/yoga/pilates help stretch the ligaments and increase height.

The second method is to "stretch" the bones, like this link explains:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/york-man-grows-inches-surgery/story?id=15776730

A reverse method can probably be employed to reduce your height to "undateable," if you will.
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey, fellow shorties! :)

Here are my stats, I'd love to share photos but I don't know how!

SW: 133
    CW: 116.5
    GW: 112
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

yosemite_sam_mad.jpg
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

I'm assuming eating at a surplus and undergoing some sort of stretching exercise.

Maybe yoga?

There are two methods. I was a gymnast when I was younger (until I grew too tall) and coached gymnastics in college. Gymanstics/yoga/pilates help stretch the ligaments and increase height.

The second method is to "stretch" the bones, like this link explains:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/york-man-grows-inches-surgery/story?id=15776730

A reverse method can probably be employed to reduce your height to "undateable," if you will.

Hmmm this article is very interesting.

Maybe they could just connect my knees to my feet. You know? Like take out my shins? Isn't that what most petite people are missing anyways? Their shins?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The AF put it in my records that I was 5'3" & that my story & I am sticking to it... I don't call myself petite but just the right height for me.

My highest weight was 220, currently i am about 143. I would like to be smaller, but i am in a size 8 pants and a small top. According the the what all the websites say, my bmi has me at obese. I'm 42 yrs old, in better shape now that I have ever been in my life, curvy, and love myself and how far I have come in my weightloss journey. Can I lose more wieght?? Possibly. Will I lose more weight? I'm not going to kill myself to get to what society says I should be as opposed to what I am - happy. If I lose and tone more, all the better. If not, I take life one day at a time and improve what I can.

Short, tall, thin, not thin... when you love yourself, other people will see the real you & not your size. :wink:

No way you are obese! The BMI calculator I have (from fat2fit) puts you at just barely overweight!

I live your confidence! Keep up the good work.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    The AF put it in my records that I was 5'3" & that my story & I am sticking to it... I don't call myself petite but just the right height for me.

My highest weight was 220, currently i am about 143. I would like to be smaller, but i am in a size 8 pants and a small top. According the the what all the websites say, my bmi has me at obese. I'm 42 yrs old, in better shape now that I have ever been in my life, curvy, and love myself and how far I have come in my weightloss journey. Can I lose more wieght?? Possibly. Will I lose more weight? I'm not going to kill myself to get to what society says I should be as opposed to what I am - happy. If I lose and tone more, all the better. If not, I take life one day at a time and improve what I can.

Short, tall, thin, not thin... when you love yourself, other people will see the real you & not your size. :wink:

Your bmi is 25.3, which is just .4 from normal range--barely in the overweight range, and not at all obese! If you lose three pounds, you will be in normal BMI range.

If you grow an inch, you can remain the same weight and also be in normal range. Just something to consider. Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Hey, fellow shorties! :)

Here are my stats, I'd love to share photos but I don't know how!

SW: 133
    CW: 116.5
    GW: 112

Shorties sounds a bit derogatory to me.

They prefer to be called vertically challenged.

Please refer to them as such.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Shorties sounds a bit derogatory to me.

They prefer to be called vertically challenged.

Please refer to them as such.

I'm not challenged in the least. I prefer to be called fun sized. ;-)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Maybe yoga?

If you made cuter faces when you were mad, it wouldn't be so difficult.
  • Cr01502
    Options

Maybe yoga?

If you made cuter faces when you were mad, it wouldn't be so difficult.

Wow! I never considered this.

<
    This is my angry face. It could definitely use a little bit of cutening.

Thanks for your help.

Still though I think I might like to try getting shorter. Lately I've been having some girl trouble and would really like to get down to the "undateable" category. Does anyone know what specific size that is?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also want to say on a serious note that just because we are short (I'm only 5'0) that does not mean that we need to eat less calories. Please don't think that because you are under 5'3 that you somehow should be eating 1000 calories a day or something. That's not true. I consume 1600-1800 right now.

I second this! I'm 5' 3" and I eat about 1600 - 2000 to lose. I can easily maintain at 2500. Don't get stuck thinking you need to eat like a bird to lose.

I also agree. I eat between 1950 to 2100, and go over regularly. But, I am not trying to lose. To lose I ate between 1800 and 1900.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Why do we say ''petite''? Is "small woman" incorrect or rude?

I guess "short woman'' would be even more correct. Sorry, my mothertongue is not English and I'm always curious about the way english language would use this type of words more than another ;)

As I explained in another response,"short woman" would not be an adequate substitute for "petite" in many contexts. You can be tall and petite. It relates to frame size and shorter proportions. Two women can be 5', but one may wear a regular size, while the other would do better with a petite cut. They could wear the same numerical size.

There are plenty of native English speakers who are unaware of this distinction.

Yeah, I know other people my height that say the petite sizes don't work for them. I am short and small framed. The petite sizes have everything scaled down to a smaller size and fit me the best.
  • Queen8shaq
    Options
    This thread is seriously making me lol.

I love tall people. I am 5ft and my husband is 6ft 2in.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It's not that we don't want to be friends with taller women. I love being friends will all different types of women and we often have a lot in common.

Maybe this is just for me, but because I am petite, it does not only apply to my height. My entire frame is very small, so a lot of things are different for me. With other petite women, we can share in understanding calorie goals, weight lifting goals, clothing resources (xxs), even where to buy shoes (since a lot of us have feet smaller than the smallest size sold in most mainstream stores at the mall). And discuss certain challenges or issues we may have. And because we are small, people will misunderstand why our weight is so low, but still healthy. Those are just some examples.

I'm 5'2", but not trying to lose weight.

Also, tall women post threads like this also. As well as women of different body types and frame sizes (those things are not height dependent, but can vary with height also).

As I've discussed before, you and I are the same height, weight, and frame size, but we're differently shaped, which is why in theory I'm trying to lose a few more pounds. You're younger and more active (a dancer) and have a naturally fast metabolism, even after becoming a mother. (You hit the lottery. :-) )

Everyone's one different. We have to deal with what we've got.

Yeah, I understand!

And thanks!
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am short. I started at 130.5 and now 111.8. Other petite women will understand why my goal weight is so "low"
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Not that I had any say in the matter, but I like my size. It's only an issue when other people make it so.

I can't recall the term, but when architects and ergonomics experts and others design spaces, etc., they plan for use by a spectrum of of people. The height range is broader than you might think.
  • tlc1126
    tlc1126 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    4'9 here picts in profile, started MFP at 161 am now 129. Highest weight was 192 after giving birth. I still would like to loose around 10 more but we will see.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Not that I had any say in the matter, but I like my size. It's only an issue when other people make it so.

I can't recall the term, but when architects and ergonomics experts and others design spaces, etc., they plan for use by a spectrum of of people. The height range is broader than you might think.

How broad might I think the height range is?
  • Sandylovesm
    Sandylovesm Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Why do we say ''petite''? Is "small woman" incorrect or rude?

I guess "short woman'' would be even more correct. Sorry, my mothertongue is not English and I'm always curious about the way english language would use this type of words more than another ;)

As I explained in another response,"short woman" would not be an adequate substitute for "petite" in many contexts. You can be tall and petite. It relates to frame size and shorter proportions. Two women can be 5', but one may wear a regular size, while the other would do better with a petite cut. They could wear the same numerical size.

There are plenty of native English speakers who are unaware of this distinction.

ok thank you! In my language, "petite" simply means ''short'' that's why I was a bit confused ;)
  • carfamily08
    carfamily08 Posts: 179
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have gone from 170 to 128. Pics in profile!

Incredible! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to go from 170 to 128?

Edit: I'm 4'9 1/2'', and I truly have no problem with being short and having tall friends. I mean my husband is 6'2'' (you can kind of see the height difference in my profile picture), but it definitely is discouraging when I gain some weight because you can see it almost right away. When my taller friends gain weight, you can't even tell unless they put on a significant amount of weight. I feel like it is nice to relate to women of a similar build.

Thanks! A little over 6 months - I started last September :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!