do I have the right to be irritated?

Options
Tysonlovesweights
Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
okay, so basically it's like this. I am at the gym this morning doing my workout, at one point I am doing some step ups onto a bench that is about 30 inches high, with 3 lengths of chain across my shoulders for weight. there is a guy at one of the power racks beside me doing DL's at 225, which I can do no problem. I have head phones in but nevertheless, this guy starts talkking to me. the first thing he says is " that looks like a good exercise for my wife to do......she sits a a desk all day" WTF!!! I am in the gym sweating myself into a puddle trying to do a hard workout, and at the end of a set of 25 per side weighted step ups, this dude basically says hey that looks so easy my completely unfit wife could do it (paraphrasing obviously, but that is the gist the way i heard it) I am doing the step ups as part of a pretty intense routine, and the chains weigh nearly 50 lbs. I go hard enough that i get a stitch in my side while doing the exercise, so my question is this: do you think the guy meant it the way i perceived it? and would something like that irritate you, or am I just an insecure %$#@% with a tendency to over react. Remember, I was wearing headphones when he came over, so he should know already that I am not up for chit chat......thats just standard gym etiquette.

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If you were wearing headphone how did you hear him?
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Options
    he was standing right in front of me with his mouth opening and closing so i took one side off to hear if maybe he was telling me the building was on fire or something else important!
  • ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Move on.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Could it be possible that he saw that was, in fact, only part of your routine and was specifically talking about just the step-ups for his wife? I think you're over-reacting, personally.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You should have asked him what he meant by that.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Who cares? You don't know him. Brush it off and just put the annoyance and anger into your workout. Sometimes there are huge jerks in the gym. Not everyone knows how to make friends and are just as##oles. :)
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    I agree with you but I give every one the benefit of the doubt the first time. My guess is he wanted to say something nice but the guy gene screwed it all up. Being a male I can say that lol. Thus my rule don't speak unless spoken too.
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Well I think you have the right to be irritated, pissed off, happy, sad, whatever. But I agree with Eric. Move on like it never happened. By holding onto it you just give the guy power over you.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    No, you don't.

Let it go...
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    You should have offered to give his wife personal training. *wink wink*
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Was he trying to be funny? Some people have a weird since of humor!! I would be irritated, but then I would let it go life's to short!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I think he spent the better part of a day quietly plotting the perfect comment that would derail all your efforts and send you into a shame spiral.

OR he just thought that was a cool exercise you were doing, like he said.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    " that looks like a good exercise for my wife to do......she sits a a desk all day"

I am taking it to mean he thinks it would be a good exercise for his wife to do because she sits all day, and he thinks it would help her to not look like she sits at a desk all day.
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    maybe you should of said hey why don't you try this and really see if your wife can do it!!!
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Some people are socially awkward and things come out in a way they did not necessarily mean them to come out.

But to answer your question, if someone said that to me, yes, it would irritate me so I'd ask for clarification (um... your wife must be one heck of a body-builder!)
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Are you guys competing for something? Who cares who lifts more.
    Maybe the guy was an *kitten*, maybe it just came out wrong. Laugh it off.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I think he spent the better part of a day quietly plotting the perfect comment that would derail all your efforts and send you into a shame spiral.

OR he just thought that was a cool exercise you were doing, like he said.

or maybe his wife doesn't like working the weights and he thought that this may look like a cool enough alternative that she would be down for it, not realising she's working as hard...

who knows.......I wouldn't overreact, that's a reaction strangers aren't entitled to from me.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Feel whatever you want to feel.

But don't tell me about it.
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Options
    Well I think you have the right to be irritated, pissed off, happy, sad, whatever. But I agree with Eric. Move on like it never happened. By holding onto it you just give the guy power over you.

I am done with it now, but it bugged me for quite a few minutes afterwards, I did put that negative energy back into my workout, and am hella sore now. just wondered what my fellow MFP'ers thought about it. I am just a little over conscious of other people at the gym right now, because I just started working out again recently after a long time off
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    okay, so basically it's like this. I am at the gym this morning doing my workout, at one point I am doing some step ups onto a bench that is about 30 inches high, with 3 lengths of chain across my shoulders for weight. there is a guy at one of the power racks beside me doing DL's at 225, which I can do no problem. I have head phones in but nevertheless, this guy starts talkking to me. the first thing he says is " that looks like a good exercise for my wife to do......she sits a a desk all day" WTF!!! I am in the gym sweating myself into a puddle trying to do a hard workout, and at the end of a set of 25 per side weighted step ups, this dude basically says hey that looks so easy my completely unfit wife could do it (paraphrasing obviously, but that is the gist the way i heard it) I am doing the step ups as part of a pretty intense routine, and the chains weigh nearly 50 lbs. I go hard enough that i get a stitch in my side while doing the exercise, so my question is this: do you think the guy meant it the way i perceived it? and would something like that irritate you, or am I just an insecure %$#@% with a tendency to over react. Remember, I was wearing headphones when he came over, so he should know already that I am not up for chit chat......thats just standard gym etiquette.

I just want to summarize and make sure that I understand.....

You were doing step-ups with < 100 lbs and want us to feel bad for you because someone else questioned how hard it was?

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif