8 Cups of water a day... HOW?!

Options

Replies

• Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow, can't believe how much misinformation is in this thread.

The 8, 8oz glass of water requirement is a MYTH:
    http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2012/06/05/12053524-let-go-of-the-water-bottle-youre-plenty-hydrated-people?lite

Do not torture yourself with your bladder nearly bursting every 30 minutes, just drink to thirst. I used to carry around a 32oz bottle - usually drank 2 a day, then all the other beverages (coffee in the morning - and no, it does not have a diuretic effect if you are used to drinking it, ice tea, juice, etc.), and I ended up seeing a urologist for my constant peeing problem. She told me to STOP drinking so much! :-)
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I break it up throughout the day. In the morning I have 1-2 cups (sometimes I will add a splash of OJ to it) and then I bring two 16 oz bottles with me at work and keep them at my desk to drink throughout the day. When I get home from work I usually have water with dinner. Sometimes I add lemon or a little bit of apple cider or apple juice to the water (about 1/8th) to help me drink more of it. Just that little bit of flavour does the trick sometimes.
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I put frozen blueberries or strawberries in it. Just about 1/4 or 1/2 a cup depending on the berry. It makes me want to get to the bottom of the cup. My "cup" is equal to 24oz and I'm able to get 4-5 down through the day. Also, I really dislike water- the taste and the heartburn I get from it. Now that I drink this amount daily- if I miss a day, I feel like junk.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I drank 8 cups of water, I had to not drink anything but water.
    BUT
    I have learned you don't need to drink that much, only enough to make your urine clear to light yellow. So I don't even count it anymore, I just drink when I'm thirsty :)
  • Calicot
    Calicot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Directly from the Mayo Clinic :

How much water should you drink each day? It's a simple question with no easy answers. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

I myself have problems drinking enough water per day during Winter. But when Spring comes along... so does the urge to drink more water.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy. I drink 4 cups while working out first thing in the morning, and then I sip throughout the day about 4-8 more. I don't drink in full glasses at a sitting, if that makes any sense, I just sip water frequently. You get used to drinking more and then really notice a difference when you don't get it.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    1 cup per hour, easy-peasy.
  • JustTheBeebs
    JustTheBeebs Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    not sure how many "cups" it is but i have a litre bottle of water at work. fill it up at 9 am
    i then have 4 hours, yes 4 hours!! to drink 1 litre before my lunch at 1.
    then at 1 fill 'er up again and do the same until 5

i find this so easy to achieve! 1 cup per hour of the work day really is nothing
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I generally get about 4-5 but I am fully hydrated. I have to pee, at minimum, once every hour. Any liquid counts, including liquids from your food. Don't get caught up in the numbers.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I keep my 32 oz next to me @ my desk & just refill as necessary. I drink more than 12 cups/day. I don't drink anything else, no sodas, just water. But, I'm working out getting out of my obese weight status. :)
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    On a good day, I MAKE myself drink two glasses of water before I eat anything. i.e. tea first thing, glass of water, breakfast, 2 glasses of water, lunch, 2 glasses of water, dinner, 2 glasses of water...etc...even between snacks. When I focus on it, I can do it.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think the 8 Cups is overkill. Unless you're on some weird steroids or something then you might to drink more. I assumed that's why you always see the huge people at the gym carrying around jugs of water.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It's all I drink. I very rarely have soda anymore, maybe once a week or so. I may have a glass of milk with dinner every few days or so. The rest of the time it is water. I carry a bottle with me at all times. Sometimes I flavor it, sometimes I don't. I usually get 6-8 each day.
  • tjpoore
    tjpoore Posts: 2
    Options
    Once your body gets used to the increase in water intake you wont have to pee nearly as much.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle everywhere and i drink when i start to feel hungry or bored to prevent me from boredom eating. mine holds 3 cups i usually drink one bottle between 6am and 12pm another between 1pm and 8 pm and one or two more during a workout totalling between 9and 12 cups a day.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I used to feel just like you! I started drinking a 32 oz cup of water while I was getting ready for work. I would fill it, take my synthroid, jump in the shower then sip/chug as I put on makeup and fixed my hair. It was hard at first. Add to that an hour commutem and I was busting by the time I got to work!! LOL My body adjusted and now I HAVE to have that 32 oz to feel awake and start my day. I then added another 32 oz mid-morn/ lunch. A third one was started at work and finished with dinner. Kepp in mind, this has been over a several years progression. I recently have begun meeting my goal of a gallon a day. The 3rd 32 oz cup is finished at work. I may have to chug it by the end of the day. I start a 4th 32 oz cup with dinner and finish then or finnish with my evening workout. At this point, I am drinking more than a gallon a day. The more I drink, the more I want to drink. I am not in the bathroom all day but I do go more frequently than my co-workers. That's ok. Count it as my smoke break!! :drinker:

Adding the 4th 32 oz cup has made a difference in my weight loss and energy level. I can tell I am on the right track! I still have my 2 cups of coffee a day and sometimes an afternoon hot tea. Rarely am I struggling to meet my 128 oz goal.

Good luck!! :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I drink out of pint sized glasses, and can drink a glass of water (so 2 cups) in twenty gulps. Takes about ... 20 seconds or so. Repeat 4 times throughout the day.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    The only thing I could add to what's already said... DEPENDS! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I guess you have to *plan* your water drinking for the times you are able to use the bathroom.
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    I carry a gallon around with me every day to help keep me on pace.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Makes a huge difference if the water is ICE COLD. Fortunately in our break room, the office has an ice machine that can either dispense ice only for the pop dispensers (which I NEVER use, not even the diet stuff),or water and ice together.

Of course it does have me running to use the rest room on a regular basis.