calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    im part awesome, so i consider myself fully awesome.

:drinker:
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just FYI.. My son is Blaxican.. (Black & Mexican) and in his passport under ethnicity it says .. United States of America.

Simple. i like it. Thats what he is. American.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Showing up in my news feed *check*
  • IeshaMonica
    Options

^ love this haha.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Heinz 57 here, might as well be a mutt dog. Don't consider myself any one thing I'm just me.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options

100% Bohemian blood here = Fully Awesome :devil:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have a drop of giant sea cucumber DNA. Should I be concerned?
    Those things feel super neat. :tongue:

From the naked scientist web site.

RTEmagicC_Sea_Cucumber_small.jpg.jpg

I'm glad to be related to such a sexy beast.
    Awesome, one squirted water at me, I giggled, my bf shook his head. I think he was jealous.

Mostly mouth and gonads. Your bf should be jealous of such animals. But no cucumber is taking you abroad, I think he'll do ok with the competition.

Thankfully I don't share any blood with platypus. I think they spontaneously generated.

Edit: platypi? Platypuses?
    Platapusua?
    Drawntogethers01e02_05.png

That's so twisted I want to keep children away from TVs.
    That would be tentapusua. Not sure any one has a drop of their blood. No. Just no.
    I love Drawn Together. That's the episode they found out Clara (the racist Disney princess) found out she had a cursed 'octapusua'.

I only count six.
    Well they did try to hex it.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So long as you are human, who cares what your background or heritage is? just be nice and good to one another.... stop labeling everyone.

As my hubby would say "Thats mighty white a 'ya"

You don't care, because you have never needed to. You are much less likely (if at all) to be targeted for ANY (negative or positive) reason just for being white. Race relations have a legacy.
    After all the GOV"T spend millions of dollars and several decades trying to turn my babies GRANDPARENTS "white" and if i am not the one to tell them that their Native side isn't wrong or ugly.. who will?

Heritage is VERY IMPORTANT
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    So long as you are human, who cares what your background or heritage is? just be nice and good to one another.... stop labeling everyone.

You don't care, because you have never needed to. You are much less likely (if at all) to be targeted for ANY (negative or positive) reason just for being white. Race relations have a legacy.
    After all the GOV"T spend millions of dollars and several decades trying to turn my babies GRANDPARENTS "white" and if i am not the one to tell them that their Native side isn't wrong or ugly.. who will?

Heritage is VERY IMPORTANT

:flowerforyou: Yes!

Nice to see some very intelligent folks on this thread!
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

So your hubby is a racist? That is certainly a racist comment.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Yes, my "friend" told me for years she was mexican/cuban, says they hate each other. She recently found out the Cuban father is black. I dont care if she is part martian, or part wolf. She is who she is because of her behavior. I regret to say, when she found out she has that drop of black in her, she very loudly called me a racist, and ended out 13 yr freindship. (because sometime between 98 and 99, I told her to stay away from (exhubby's) black *kitten*...... I would have said white, purple, blue, green. I really dont care. She needs to stay away from him.....

but that one comment in 13 yrs. and her finding out she is part black..... I fail to understand how finding that out changed her so much.
  • InnerConflict
    Options
    I keep reading references to white privilege but haven't seen any about reverse discrimination. Yep, it exists!
  • KeriW626
    Options
    I am an american mutt. when any paper work asks for my Race, my answer is HUMAN.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    Does the one drop rule apply to other races as well? If so, you are looking a a Native American...a memeber of the Lac Courte Orielles Band of Chippewa. And I am by tribal membership. When I was in college, I fully identified as such. And they identified me as a wannabe. Why...because I was raised in a completely whitebread town in Wisconsin, nowhere near the rez. Yeah. I finally came to terms with the fact that I am a white girl. That's just the way it is for me.

According to my 100 percent Navajo sister in law, you would be considered an Apple. Red skin, but white through and through. She was considered an Apple until she moved back on to the rez. With my bro and his son from 1st marriage, both toe heads. Yes reverse discrimenation does exist.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I keep reading references to white privilege but haven't seen any about reverse discrimination. Yep, it exists!

Reverse discrimination does exist, yes, but being made to feel uncomfortable because you happen to be white is in no way the same as being abused, tortured, denied certain rights, etc. just because you happen to be black.

Note... reverse racism on the other hand, doesn't exist.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am an american mutt. when any paper work asks for my Race, my answer is HUMAN.

That is a species not a race. :noway:
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    For anyone thats even remotey interested in my racial background, I am a quarter irish, a quarter english and half indian, but I look completely white, and people never guess I'm mixed race so I enjoy laughing at their reactions when they meet my mother! XD
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

So your hubby is a racist? That is certainly a racist comment.

My question to you is..... Why don't you think the person i quoted was being racist?

IMO The poster thought he could just erase dark skin, erase slavery, erase segregation, erase genocide, and just paint everyone all pretty and happy. BTW racial differences can be comical as well, try laughing a little. in fact i think its funny white folks think like this, and don't see white ppl as bad, I AM ONE but the reality is there are differences.... and i choose to call it how it is!!
  • InnerConflict
    Options

Reverse discrimination does exist, yes, but being made to feel uncomfortable because you happen to be white is in no way the same as being abused, tortured, denied certain rights, etc. just because you happen to be black.

Note... reverse racism on the other hand, doesn't exist.

"Being made to feel uncomfortable?" Um, how about not getting a job when you are the most qualified because the need to fill a minority hire quota?

And racism is racism, and it most certainly can be directed at white people.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

That is a species not a race. :noway:

Actually it's a genus, not a species.

Homo = human

Homo sapiens = humans with (usually) pointy chins, (mostly) vertical foreheads, dome shaped craniums, relatively gracile build and approx 1350cc cranial capacity (on average)