Will you lose weight eating "bad foods?"

Options
2»

Replies

• BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know a very successful loser from the past that ate ice cream almost daily. I...err...he just made sure it fit in his calorie goals for the day. You will be fine.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have to say when allow myself treats, I enjoy and savor them much more than I used to when I wasn't watching what I was eating.

It's a win-win.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Of course. You could live off of chocolate milk and lose weight. You won't feel as great though!
    Treats are great occasionally and you should be able to incorporate the foods that you like into your weight loss plan. Just try to eat healthy most of the time and stick in your calorie range.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can still def. lose weight while eating "bad foods". You may find yourself craving less junk as you get fitter. I, however, haven't found this to be the case in my situation. I'm pretty much at my ultimate dream goal weight but I still want cookies, cakes, & candy. Plus, I now have the problem of trying to get all my calories in and want to fill it with junk a lot of times. I'm working on dealing with that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oversimplification but:

Caloric deficit = weight loss
    Macronutrients = energy (carbs), healthy body functions and hormones (fats), body composition (protein)
    Micronutrients = health

So, yes. There is nothing wrong with eating some less nutrient dense foods as long as it is part of an otherwise nutritious diet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yes
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I eat 200-300 calories worth of treats every day and it hasn't been a problem at all. I refuse to give up all the foods I like just to lose weight. If I can manage to lose weight and still eat them, that will help me be more successful long term, as I will have learned to moderate my choices.

^^ This.

^^ yup.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Oversimplification but:

Caloric deficit = weight loss
    Macronutrients = energy (carbs), healthy body functions and hormones (fats), body composition (protein)
    Micronutrients = health

So, yes. There is nothing wrong with eating some less nutrient dense foods as long as it is part of an otherwise nutritious diet.
    This.. aaaaaand....
    I eat 200-300 calories worth of treats every day and it hasn't been a problem at all. I refuse to give up all the foods I like just to lose weight. If I can manage to lose weight and still eat them, that will help me be more successful long term, as I will have learned to moderate my choices.

^^ This.

^^ yup.

this too.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    if it fits in your day, and you know you won't overeat then go for it!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If your at a calorie deficit, no matter what you eat, you will lose weight... Once you get closer to your goal weight though, is when you might want to start cleaning up your diet more to lose those last pounds... Over-all, you'll still lose weight! Diets are different for specific goals... Such as body building.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I agree that if it's within your calories for the day it's OK, but have you considered finding a 'candy bar' that also gives you extra protein and vitamins (protein/health bars)...they'll also fill you up and sometimes have fewer calories and sugar than the 'real' candy bars.
  • BlackJack96
    BlackJack96 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think while you can do it, it's harder. Some "bad food" pizza for example is filling. However, burgers are not. The other issue is that the goal of weight loss to me is not just lose the weight and look better but overall health as well. If you're skinny and eat like crap you can still have high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    XJW2e5a.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and health can be mutually exclusive issues. Just wanted to through that out there.

^this

ETA: And yes, yes you can.
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    Great thread, glad it's up there.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    XJW2e5a.jpg

QFT. One of the best pics ever.
  • amanda7630
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I agree with being able to have a little something every day that you really enjoy can keep your sanity. I have the worst sweet tooth of anyone I've met so knowing I can cure that craving a bit is nice :)
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree its not the foods but the calorie deficit that determines weight loss.

I am not having chocolate etc because I cannot be satisfied with like a treat sized Milky Way, or 4 M&Ms. I would eat way too much and then hate myself
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    As long as most of your diet is made up of healthy foods then there's no problem. Eating only bad foods would not re-educate your tastes and you' may risk piling it back on as soon as you stop counting.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You would still get the weight off, but of course you know eating like that constantly is not good for you.
    I just had an In n Out burger and 1/2 the fries in a tray. I logged the calories. It's ok.