For all the people who believe walking isn't exercise...

Options
Hi everyone! I am a 23 year old woman with a BMI of 19.9. Due to a long-standing history of knee problems, I have been told I should not engage in high impact exercise i.e. most gym classes, and running. As such, for the past 5 years or so I have exercised and maintained my fitness via walking, and have not been for a run in over a year.

I have had arguments, many of them, both on this website and others, with people who believe that regular walking does not consitute exercise. I have had people scoff at the fact that I log (and eat back) calories I burn through walking, and telling me I will never, ever get fit via walking. It's a sore point for me, I'll admit it :laugh:

Today, I got my brand new Polar FT7 heartrate monitor in the post and decided to settle the argument. So here it is - my resting heartrate. Bear in mind this was taken approx an hour after I had walked and as such, may be an overestimate.

20130319204917.jpg

According to the statistics posted by this website ( http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm ) a resting heartrate of 54 puts me in the 'Athlete' range for a woman of my age. I should probably highlight here that when I talk about 'walking', I'm not talking about a Sunday afternoon stroll around the block. I'm talking about engaging in regular (5+ times per week), long (3-7km), fast (7-8km/h) walks. Walks that make you puff like a steam train and sweat like a pig. But walks, not runs - exercise that is very accessable for people who, for whatever reason, can't engage in high impact exercise. For anyone interested, I have linked to my Runkeeper profile ( http://runkeeper.com/user/116437034/activity/157838441 ) which shows the frequency and volume of walking I do.

People will tell you you can't get fit walking - people are ignorant. Don't believe that just because you can't engage in high impact exercise that cadiovascular health is out of reach. Put on your shoes and walk people - I am living proof it can get you fit!

Happy to talk with anyone who wants more info and I'll accept friend requests from like minded people. Bonus points if you are from Australia! :smile:

Replies

• littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I've lost most of my weight from just walking.
  • Murnique
    Murnique Posts: 9
    Options
    Amen, walking is awesome exercise. I lost 10kg as a teenager by just walking.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Good for you and congratulations! Walking's great exercise... lots of research backing that up. Some people won't think anything you don't do in gym isn't exercise. Your body knows the difference. Thanks for the excellent and successful example!
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Between diet and walking, I have worked off of all of my medications.

I now have a resting BP of 110/60 and a resting heart rate of 58-60

Walking on a threadmill
  • bathony
    bathony Posts: 51
    Options
    Walking, I do it everyday and I always count it as exercise. It's not sitting on my bum in front of the TV so how can it not be exercise. Well done you, great post.
  • aablacknell
    aablacknell Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I love walking:heart:. I find it a wonderful way to enjoy being outside and bonding with my dog. I normally walk 4 or 4.5 miles an hour. So i'm with you!!!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    another +1 for walking, i'm at 4mph at the moment and progressing, not sure what my resting heart rate is but i know i'm getting fitter :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I add my walking to my exercise on here. I only walk around 3 - 3.5 mph but do it for over an hour (usually ending up between 4 and 5 miles). I usually burn between 400 - 500 calories in that time. If I could do that every day and consume TDEE I would lose around 1lb a week just from that. So it definitely is exercise :)

I'm not saying it burns as many calories as running or zumba per hour..... but its definitely exercise :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    My weight depends entirely on how much walking I do. If I don't walk a lot, I maintain at 150-155 lbs. If I do a bunch of walking as part of my regular day, I maintain at 135-138 lbs.
  • Ade2013
    Ade2013 Posts: 28
    Options
    I love walking, i walk around 10km per day by taking the long way round to work. I personally believe its one of the best / most natural exercises there is. Fair play to you , i hope it keeps you fit and happy.
  • papercanuck
    Options
    thumbs up to all you walkers out there! I have arthritis and anything impact is a no-no. I try and walk everyday and it works for me. Not only does it help with my weight, it also helps chase the cobwebs during our long cold winters in eastern Canada. I must admit though that when it is -40C with the windchill, I stay inside!
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Well, up until my early 20s I could eat what I liked and was half the weight I am now. What changed? I got a car so stopped walking so much!

30 years later and I'm starting to walk again just to get fit. And YES, I notice the difference.

If I'd carried on walking all those years ago I wouldn't be dieting now! Walking is wonderful exercise.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is beneficial to your health, anyone who says otherwise is not thinking straight.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Even if Walking does not count as exercise, it still counts as an increase in your NEAT, and is still more calories than you would burn being sat on your couch.

My fit bit always gives an adjustment after lot's of walking.

Depending on how often you do it it may just be worth upiing your activity level on MFp, and ignoring the exercise calories.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i walk too works good . i ran down a sloth and two turtles the other day it was a good nsv
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Same i lost most of my weight walking fast paced on the tready and on the beach. Now just lifting weights mostly though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me where people on this site are saying that walking isn't exercise? I must be missing them.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I have done both running and walking obsessively. Both work. Both make you feel great. One won't blow your knees out later.