Swedish Mannequins Now In Normal Sizes!

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Guys I honestly didn't want to offend anyone I should have thought more about my wording, I simply wanted to share something I read and ask peoples thoughts,

I really do apologies for upsetting anyone :( I feel like I have caused a lot of pain and trouble, which was never my intention.

You're fine, it seemed pretty obvious to me that you were using the word "normal" in the sense of "average, typical, common" which is an appropriate definition. People may take offense to the stick insect, but again, I felt like it was directed more at the mannequins than at people.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    whether or not "normal" size is "good"....

since mannequins are meant to show WHAT CLOTHING WILL LOOK LIKE ON A HUMAN BODY, shouldn't the mannequins therefore LOOK LIKE AN AVERAGE HUMAN BODY? whether we have gotten too big or not, what's the point in seeing something on a mannequin that looks nothing like us?

and since when is being a size 8 or 10 "dangerous" or "obese"....god...the mannequins are not even "fat", they are just not emaciated....

run for the hills!!! a size 10 mannequin!!!! women everywhere will start eating entire sticks of butter for breakfast!!!!! the mannequins!!! good god!!!!!

Between this post, and the fact that your username has Vegan in it, I'm glad we're not friends. Jesus, some people love to just go off the deep end.
  • sixout
    Options
    I just told my boyfriend about this, his response? "Why don't you guys just try the *kitten* on" Lol, a mans perspective.

Because then what would everyone have to get up in arms about over the internet?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I suppose from a marketing perspective it makes sense. But it's sad that overweight is now considered "normal", though I suppose they just mean average.

The person in the article that was quoted as saying the heavier mannequin represented a healthy BMI was certainly wrong though.
    Wow... So you honestly believe that anyone wearing a size 8 or 10 is overweight???? And certainly in an unhealthy BMI????? Judgmental much? Suppose the woman is 5'10" and wears an 8 or a 10? Still think that? Over-generalization.... Wow...

Um, first of all. Calm down! It is not a woman, it's a mannequin. And one without clothing.

Even if she had little muscle, a woman that size would have a BMI > 25. If she had any muscle under the fat, she would weigh even more giving her a higher BMI.

someone can have a BMI above 25 while their body fat percentage is in the healthy range. Being heavier because you have more muscle does not make you less healthy than someone with the same body fat percentage and less muscle.

BMI is a pile of poo, to put it bluntly. It's just the relationship between weight and height... body fat percentage tells you how much fat you are carrying. It doesn't matter what your BMI is, if your body fat percentage is in the healthy range, then you're not overfat and don't need to lose fat unless you want to for aesthetic reasons.
    Thank you, neandermagnon, for this. You probably explained it better than I would have anyway and I just didn't feel like trying to make the argument any more. lol
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just told my boyfriend about this, his response? "Why don't you guys just try the *kitten* on" Lol, a mans perspective.

Because then what would everyone have to get up in arms about over the internet?

Seeing as the "average" mannequin doesn't even HAVE arms... I find this comment offensive
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I never realized that as a size 4 I wasn't considered "normal".

Yeah and how come a size 28 isnt normal? Size 28 is normal for a lot of women. LOL where are the obese mannequins?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I suppose from a marketing perspective it makes sense. But it's sad that overweight is now considered "normal", though I suppose they just mean average.

The person in the article that was quoted as saying the heavier mannequin represented a healthy BMI was certainly wrong though.
    Wow... So you honestly believe that anyone wearing a size 8 or 10 is overweight???? And certainly in an unhealthy BMI????? Judgmental much? Suppose the woman is 5'10" and wears an 8 or a 10? Still think that? Over-generalization.... Wow...

Um, first of all. Calm down! It is not a woman, it's a mannequin. And one without clothing.

Even if she had little muscle, a woman that size would have a BMI > 25. If she had any muscle under the fat, she would weigh even more giving her a higher BMI.

someone can have a BMI above 25 while their body fat percentage is in the healthy range. Being heavier because you have more muscle does not make you less healthy than someone with the same body fat percentage and less muscle.

BMI is a pile of poo, to put it bluntly. It's just the relationship between weight and height... body fat percentage tells you how much fat you are carrying. It doesn't matter what your BMI is, if your body fat percentage is in the healthy range, then you're not overfat and don't need to lose fat unless you want to for aesthetic reasons.

BMI is not a pile of poo. It's a useful population based tool. And yes, you can have a BMI of overweight and a healthy BF%. However, BF% alone does not tell you how much fat you carry. A person who weighs 160 and has 24% BF will have a different amount of fat than someone that is 120 lb and has 24% BF.

But all of that has absolutely nothing to do with my previous post.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Seeing as the "average" mannequin doesn't even HAVE arms... I find this comment offensive

:laugh:
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Mavd hope I didn't offend you, :cry: I didn't mean to, I am not sure what a size 4 is in the UK? smallest size I have seen here is 8 :ohwell:

I am in two minds, not sure I like the new but I definitely don't like the current ones.

I think the mannequins in Topshop are size 10. I'm guessing Swedish sizes are very similar to ours.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Yeah...no kidding..I range between a 2 and a 4 and consider myself pretty healthy and non "abnormal"

I suppose normal is individual, you guys look amazing!

For me before I gained weight, normal was a size 10 (UK) when I did get down to a UK 8 border 6 I looked ill. So for me about size 10 is what I view as normal. perhaps Mannequins should alter depending who views the store :smile: do you think they can do that yet??

Lol, as soon as I read the title I knew the skinny's would be all over this one demanding to know what normal is. I understand what you mean OP. It's fine to have the run of the mill size 2 and 4 mannequins but it's refreshing to see other sizes besides the typical mannequins you see. Like a size 8 or even dare I say, a 10.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Its nice to know I hover somewhere in the middle of "mannequin size" and "average size" LOL :laugh:

I really do like seeing something a bit softer/realistic in stores... its nice to know that when my size is missing from the racks I can check the mannequin to see if I can steal hers! - That would NEVER be possible with a normal tiny mannequin.

Plus its a positive step for many women's self image.

You should always check anyway. When I worked at the Gap if we didn't have a S or XS for the mannequin, I'd grab whatever size we had and use clips to make it fit.

I just recently read somewhere that H&M is going to US size 6-8 (if I recall right). And a few years ago I remember a store tried to do more "average" mannequins. I don't recall where though. I am all for having different sized mannequins. I think sometimes people are afraid (for lack of a better word) to try something because they see it on a small mannequin and think "I'd never look good in that" but you never know. I try on anything I like. If it works, great. If not, oh well.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Just going to ignore all the other comments.

My opinion, I think it is brilliant and I love them! Those mannequins are not even "fat" or in anyway unhealthy looking. I think they look hot and how *I* want to be. Obviously making a mannequin that is like a size 10+ is not really, appealing, I guess is the right word for some stores. But not everyone can be a size 0-2, and these show that women are all sorts of shapes.

Not sure if I am making much sense atm. I am trying to think/write this and having to get onto my son because he keeps trying to unplug my husband's computer.....

ETA: For the record, I am like a size 18-20 in pants; xxl in shirt. But even I wouldn't honestly want to see a mannequin my size because I honestly would feel like it was saying "be fat, it is okay".
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Yeah...no kidding..I range between a 2 and a 4 and consider myself pretty healthy and non "abnormal"

For me before I gained weight, normal was a size 10 (UK) when I did get down to a UK 8 border 6 I looked ill. So for me about size 10 is what I view as normal. perhaps Mannequins should alter depending who views the store :smile: do you think they can do that yet??

Lol, as soon as I read the title I knew the skinny's would be all over this one demanding to know what normal is. I understand what you mean OP. It's fine to have the run of the mill size 2 and 4 mannequins but it's refreshing to see other sizes besides the typical mannequins you see. Like a size 8 or even dare I say, a 10.

You wouldn't like someone telling you that you aren't normal either.
  • usernameMAMA
    Options
    Haha! I'm not normal:) Aren't we all snowflakes or some crap?
  • sixout
    Options

The average human has arms, but there are some without. Please, stop production on these offensive mannequins.
  • sixout
    Options

Skinny's, like being fit is bad. On a fitness website. lol
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

the "skinny's"? Seriously?!? Or, how about the Athletes? Cheese whiz....
  • apnovack
    apnovack Posts: 40
    Options

I am sure she meant to say "average" instead of "normal" relax
  • sixout
    Options

the "skinny's"? Seriously?!? Or, how about the Athletes? Cheese whiz....

omg u need to check your thin privilege!
  • usernameMAMA
    Options
    I thought there was skinny's an fatty's on this site...my bad. All people who are working on fitness but have yet to achieve it, move along. This is a FITNESS site. Meaning for the FIT. :D Poor people too, exit to the left.