Excercise before or after breakfast?

Options
Hello!

I'm new here. I've been using the calorie trakcer for about a month and I started doing an excercise DVD called "30 day shred" this morning. I had a baby 8 weeks ago, so just getting into proper excercise.

My question is, is it best to do the workout before breakfast, or an empty stomach, or after breakfast. This morning I did it about 15mins after a bowl of porridge as I was worried abotu feeling dizzy- I need my food. However, its only 20mins long, so I might manage before.

Anyone know if it makes any difference to the effectiveness of the workout?

Thanks

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    before, i start at 4am, works for me.
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    People have really heated debates about this! I think it all comes down to preference. I don't feel like I have as much energy if I don't eat something first. If I'm just doing a short run or workout, I'll just have a banana or some peanut butter on an English muffin. Longer run I'd eat something a little big bigger and then wait a bit before running. Just figure out what works best for you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter...exercise whenever you can give it your all. I usually have a small snack...some berries or something about 30 minutes pre-workout...but I cannot eat an actual meal; I'd just throw everything up if I exercised after an actual meal.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I think its best to immediately eat something afterwards though.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Depends on the goal of the workout, how fat adapted you are, what you ate the night before, the intensity level ....

From a weight loss perspective it really doesn't matter much.

Some other considerations
    * intense workouts in a fasted state can cause catibolizing of the muscles (consider at least some ameno acids and glutamine to combat this)
    * You will likely feel dizzy and sluggish especially if you are used to working out with at steady dose of carbs. As you body becomes more "fat adapted" you can do aerobic exercise fasted and feel fine.
    * working out fasted is a good way to get your body used to using fat for fuel.. beneficial for long distance races ... it is also a good way to completely deplete your glycogen stores

Most people will feel better and workout harder if they eat breakfast (including some complex carbs) 1-3 hours before their workout.
  • theresa_ann
    theresa_ann Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i personally eat alittle bit before usually like a protein bar or something like that just so that after i'm done exercising i'm not starving and eat too much at breakfast time
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    4am Kangoojumps!!!!

Thanks guys. Think I might stick to eating before- its only a bowl of porridge after all, not a Sunday roast.
  • rreiki
    rreiki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am working with a dietician to help me develop better habits. She said that people who exercise within a half-hour of getting up or before 7:00 am tend to do better with weight loss.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I exercise early and usually do it on an empty stomach. If I am really hungry when I get up I eat a half of a banana first. I can't really exercise with food in my belly.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Before. If I eat anything, it WILL end up all over the equipment, or the people around me, or both.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i like working out before :D but as a lot of people said, its about what works best for you so id try out both :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am working with a dietician to help me develop better habits. She said that people who exercise within a half-hour of getting up or before 7:00 am tend to do better with weight loss.

Your body has no concept of time and burns just as many calories at 7:00 PM as it does at 7:00 AM.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've passed out in a couple of early morning workouts after skipping breakfast. I don't like to workout on a full stomach so I just eat half a banana or a little oatmeal before I do intense cardio.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I always have a banana about 30 min before I workout, and it really seems to help me with energy and intensity while I'm working out.

On the other hand, feeling full and working out can be a mess, so I guess it depends on how well your oatmeal fills you up.

I will say this though, in terms of loosing weight, it doesn't make a difference. You DO NOT burn more if you exercise on an empty stomach.
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    If it's cardio, do it first thing in the morning before breakfast. You want to do cardio when glycogen levels are low, so either fasted in the morning or after weight lifting (which depletes glycogen stores).
  • x0_ncr
    x0_ncr Posts: 15
    Options
    I do cardio before breakfast then weights after/later in the day
  • Cindy679
    Cindy679 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I followed the Body for Life Program, the book recommended exercising in the morning on an empty stomach. The reasoning was that you would be burning off your stubborn fat stores instead of what you just ate. I followed Body for Life to the "T" and it was very effective for me, but I think it depends on what works for you!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Your body has no concept of time and burns just as many calories at 7:00 PM as it does at 7:00 AM.

Yup.
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    before, i start at 4am, works for me.

This! But I eat a yogurt or piece of friut (usually a banana) before I workout, so I won't get dizzy. Then, I dont eat breakfast until around 7 or 7:30.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm new here. I've been using the calorie trakcer for about a month and I started doing an excercise DVD called "30 day shred" this morning. I had a baby 8 weeks ago, so just getting into proper excercise.

My question is, is it best to do the workout before breakfast, or an empty stomach, or after breakfast. This morning I did it about 15mins after a bowl of porridge as I was worried abotu feeling dizzy- I need my food. However, its only 20mins long, so I might manage before.

Anyone know if it makes any difference to the effectiveness of the workout?

Thanks

Consistency is the biggest difference maker. So do it whenever you feel like, any activity is better than none. Sometimes I do it at lunch, Sometimes after work...the point is to just get out there and do something. That's where the payoff is. If you looked at my calories burned via exercise you would see most days I do something like walking, weight lifting, elliptical and Precor AMT. 40 lbs lost in 75 days is the result. More than Halfway to my first goal of 200 lbs.