A private question for the ladies!

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I used to be heavy heavy for 7 days, every 30. To the point where I couldn't go swimming, jogging, walking... anything. Had horrible cramps too.

Now... I'm 28 days (almost to the hour), no cramps, and totally can live my life! OMG a life with a 'manageable' flow is soooo much better! LOVE IT!
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    Have never been regular...I'm very overweight....had gastric bypass, skipped that month, but as I lose weight, I'm becoming totally predictable!
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, my period has changed a lot. My period is usually about 4 days and it's gone down to 1 1/2 days. It's very normal for your period to fluctuate. As long as you know you are eating correctly and you aren't overtraining, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it causes you any pain, severe cramping, etc then I would suggest to see an OB/GYN.
  • adudu
    adudu Posts: 17
    Options
    Try to see the Doctor. Or if you just start on birth control, that maybe the reason but mostly it is nothing to worry about.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out regularly- I'm 3-4 days. If I'm not working out- it'll be 4-6. So annoying- great motivation to keep working out.

God- I need a hysterectomy.
  • Jennybebop
    Jennybebop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen and talked to my doctor about it. He said it's pretty common to experience fluctuations like that. Our bodies are complex and sensitive machines and any change; weight loss/gain, changes in physical activity, diet, stress, can all play a part in cycles. He advised me monitor it and log it so we can watch for significant/important changes. And that it would likely regulate itself - and he was right, it did. While I suspect it's nothing to worry about, you should still talk to a doctor about it. Always best to go to the pros.
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you too much, then you can also try birth control pills, patch, or ring to regulate your period.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    GET THEE TO A DOCTOR
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    not yet I would love to experince this with mine. I tend to go longer and heavier sad to say.

Since I've been losing weight, it's longer between my cycles (32 days instead of 28) but it lasts for 10-14 days each time. I don't know why, my doc wasn't concerned. My hormone levels are all fine and that stuff is apparently in that range of normal. :grumble:

Oh and as for the boot camp thing, I literally had a period all 9 weeks I was there. I wish my body would just shut that down when I get stressed, apparently it does the opposite. :mad:
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have alwa been like clockwork and continue to be...the change has come with less bloating, decreased lower back pain, and decreased flow (I flowed extremely heavy prior to dropping pounds)...The doctor explained to me a long time ago that the more fat my body carries, the more estrogen I (we) produce which in turns causes heavier and longer cycles...

As we begin to eat healthier and reduce body fat, our harmone levels are returning to "normal" and our bodies must and will readjust themselves.

Hope this sheds some light.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    See your doctor babes!!!! x
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    GAH....I know better than to click into these!!!!
    naked-gun-facepalm.gif
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    For all the people saying don't worry about it.. while it's not a huge problem right now, if someone's planning to have kids in the future it's good to note any oddities in your cycle because it could be a sign that something is off.. for example, being late all the time is a sign of late ovulation which sometimes is no big deal but in some cases could be a sign that one will have difficulty getting pregnant because late eggs are usually a little degraded so not of great quality. A very light short flow could mean insufficient uterine lining (which could also affect getting and staying pregnant) etc. because of hormone imbalances. Oh and most rgeular doctors will just tell you it's normal because it's beyond their training. An RE (reproductive endocronologist) would be the person to see but you won't get in with them normally until you're actually having difficulty getting/staying pregnant.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out regularly, I was still in a normal weight range, and wasnt severely restricting calories, but I did skip a period one month. I went to my gyn and he wasnt worried about it. It never happened after that. If you're concerned, just go see your doctor.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you are getting really fit or losing a lot of weight it will effect your cycles. It should level out once you level out.

This^^
  • madbrewer
    madbrewer Posts: 10
    Options
    Ever since I started losing weight, my period has been affected a lot by it. I went from 4 days to 2-3 days and a large decrease in the amount as well. I also notice that it's late every month. This month I'm a whole week over due.
    Has anyone else experienced this and know the reasons behind it?

Good thing to keep track of. My period has been the bane of my existence ever since I first got it--prolific, painful as hell, and turns me into the Sugary-Salty-Grease-Seeking-Grump-Monster. Now that I'm in my mid-40s I find it mellowing a little, just a little, bit. My guess is that the mellowing is more a function of my age, which is older than I've ever been (duh!), rather than my diet (which I've had for 26 yrs now--vegetarian, I mean) or exercise (which, throughout life until I got a computer job, was very regular and rather vigorous). The only thing in my own experience that has changed in coordination w/ the (thankful!) mellowing of my period has been my age. What about you?

All this is meant only to say that you would benefit from keeping a period diary.

Seriously--we're keeping food diaries here on this site; why not find one to keep a period diary too? Surely there's one out there, as the internet has EVERYthing. Track your flow, your moods, your cravings, your energy level, along w/ when your flow stops and starts. I do this in a more old-fashioned way, but I can tell you it has given me great insight also into when I get particularly horny!!! I might be mid-40s, but I'm still ovulating, and dang me if that doesn't turn me into a raging animal too.
  • CielArdent9
    Options
    I'm glad I clicked on this thread. Last summer, my periods were about 10 days late and it made me nervous. My OB/GYN sent me for blood tests and all came back negative. But then I got back to having a regular 30 cycle like before. But this past month, my period was again 10 days late. I haven't been exercising much but my weight has been coming off at a steady pace. But maybe I should confirm all this with a doctor.
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm 20 years old and I never even started menstruating. My body is otherwise developed but I think I've always been high testosterone/low estrogen since I have slightly broader shoulders, narrow hips, and a deeper voice. My gyno said there's no medical need to menstruate and that I shouldn't worry about it.

I would get a second opinion on what your Gyn says... there may be underlying genetic or metabolic imbalances.
  • whamann1
    whamann1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It could be an age-thing as well. I was always super regular but now (40's) very unpredictable. If it is lighter and farther apart, count your blessings!
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yes.. this happened to me when I was at my lowest body fat % It's called AMENORRHOEA...

I din't have a period for 3 years.. Even if you aren't close to being underweight you can still be affected by AMENORRHOEA.. In my case it was due to overtraining, stress and a very low fat diet.

I would say bump up your calories and try to include some more good healthy fats in your diet. If that doesn't help of course see your doctor :flowerforyou:

Theres actually 2 different types of amenorrhea one is genetic the other is hormonally dictated..