Are your workouts age-appropriate?

Options

Replies

• eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Two words: Ernestine Shepherd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18346128

The world's oldest female bodybuilder wakes up every day at 02:30 to fit in a 10 mile (16km) run before hitting the gym.
    But 75-year-old Ernestine Shepherd insists that "age is nothing but a number".
    "Miss Ernie", as she is known in the world of competitive bodybuilding, began training at the tender age of 71.
    She says her true calling in life, however, is helping others to follow a more healthy lifestyle.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a female, 54 and have worked out since my late teens. My favorite exercise is bike riding, and I still do that, averaging about 14-15 mph. I walk and do exercise dvds with some light weights, when the weather is not good. I try to work out 4 times a week, because I do think a break is helpful. I do have some pain, but not enough to stop me! I am not seeking to brag here, but to ENCOURAGE you!! To me, you are just a youth, so don't give in. Sure you are going to have some pain, and some lack of energy at times, but I hope you will continue to press on. You'll be glad!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You aren't made of glass, keep pushing yourself. If anything that is going to promote longevity.

Louie Simmons squatted 920 pounds at over 50 years old....

Don't sell yourself short because of your age.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You'll have to ask this guy what age appropriate workouts are...

7144975_9781.jpg

why are you posting pictures of my grandpa?
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I try not to do anything that's age-appropriate.... I know what you mean, our bodies in our 40s aren't quite a quick to bounce back maybe, but hell, I'm fitter now than I've been in years, certainly throughout most of my 20s and 30s, I didn't run between the ages of 13 (when it became unfashionable) and 41! I started lifting dumbells and barbells when I was 43 (a few weeks back lol)

I was at the pool earlier and saw in the fast lane were two elderly people (70s, maybe 80s...) and the arrogant little fool in me sighed thinking I'd be held up - til they overtook me... (I was a competitive swimmer and still move pretty fast in the water) - I'm thinking if they can do it... :-D I flatly refuse to grow old gracefully - I want to be one of the old birds at the back of the gym doing the equivalent of zumba (whatever the fad will be) in 40 years :-D
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The world's oldest female bodybuilder wakes up every day at 02:30 to fit in a 10 mile (16km) run before hitting the gym.
    02:30? After retirement and with no job to do the rest of the day I'd be looking forward to a bit of a lie-in! She's probably like my retired dad, going down the supermarket at lunchtime just to annoy the office workers :wink:
  • BerryH
    Options
    why are you posting pictures of my grandpa?
    I thought that was Santa in his training season.
  • kedlyo
    kedlyo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I say you do everything your body will let you do! I have a fantastic role model for that.
    My exercise science professor in college was about 70. He was my mom's exer. sci. professor when she was in college (she's in her 60s now), and he's still teaching there today. He still lifts and does some type of cardio everyday, looks great, and hasn't struggled with health problems like most others his age. Sure, his skin is that of a man who has worked and played outdoors for 80+ years, but that's nothing to be ashamed of! He wears it as a badge of honor - much like smile lines! He has to be in his late 80s by now. Since he has taken care of his body consistently over the years, he is able to do much more than his peers, but he has slowed down some. He still lifts weights, but now uses the elliptical, fast walking, and other lower- impact exercises for cardio. While many of his peers have passed away from disease, require caretakers to perform daily life tasks, or are struggling with depression because of poor health; this man maintains his home and acreage himself. He is fit, healthy, happy, and plays with his great-grandchildren each weekend. I don't know his wife as well as I know him, but she is only a few years younger and also in excellent health. They have lived this healthy lifestyle together since the 1950s and are still going strong!
    May we all be so fortunate! :)
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hmm you look better than some 20yr olds btw ,Im 29 and I have many friends who are in there 40's,Im like dam* hope I look like that when im 40,if I do Im strutting my stuff.Losing all the baby wieght after my 1yr old and 2.5 yr old daughter.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to what your body can take. Although watching a little ole' granny do Zumba would be like watching a car accident :)

WTF? Go to any of the countries where those rhythms originated and you will see plenty of little ole grannies shaking it on the dance floor!

The only thing holding them back in the US is the idea that certain activities are only appropriate for certain age groups!

Thanks for the second comment. I'm a grandmother to 2 great boys..I've been dancing for 35 years. I think I'm nearly offended by the first comment about a granny doing zumba would be like watching a car accident. :tongue:
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Oh and my grandma who will be 79 this year teaches a workout class to people older than her. I think thats awesome,I really admire her.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and training more and better (running) than I have at any other time in my life. I wasn't really a couch potato either having spent 20 years in the Army (Infantry) and playing multiple sports in high school and intramural sports in college.

I refuse to accept that I can't do something and my body seems to go along with that philosophy as long as I pay attention to it and allow for adequate recovery and growth as I continue to push it to do more and go faster. I'm not in any danger of setting any world records but I can regularly beat most of the runners 30 years younger than me in races.

So, I don't believe in "age-appropriate". I only believe in training hard and smart to get the most out of what I was born with.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Hmm you look better than some 20yr olds btw
    :flowerforyou:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You aren't made of glass, keep pushing yourself. If anything that is going to promote longevity.

Louie Simmons squatted 920 pounds at over 50 years old....

Don't sell yourself short because of your age.

He's also an admitted steroid user and competes where drug testing and unlimited supportive gear are allowed. Not to diminish his accomplishments or his career, but he's not really the standard that other older fitness buffs should use as a benchmark.

I've got a 55 year old friend who benches around 600. He weighs 180. That is a little better inspiration for me.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The president of my running club lives a block away from me, is retired and can out run me any day of the week. I'm in my 30s....

You may get frustrated by set backs but utilize your resources and think outside the box to push to where you want to be.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My amazing mother is almost 60 and my father is in his late 70's and they both run 10 miles every weekend. They see a personal trainer twice a week, they do marathons all the time and they have more energy and look better than most 30 year olds!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    47yo here and I feel your pain (as well as my own). The big difference I'm seeing is that I injure more easily and heal slower. So I listen to my body and ease off for a day or so if it's more than just a sore muscle. I've had to shift my running to the treadmill because it's easier on my back and limit myself to one kickboxing class a week. What I'm doing more of is weight training and yoga. I'm stiff as the tin man and it only gets worse with age, so I think it helps.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, so my opinion wasn't asked, but...be yourself, and do what you want to do! As long as you're not hurting yourself, why limit yourself?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its all in your head- or perhaps your diet. People much much older than you are running marathons so No Excuses!
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    Ask Denise austin or Dave Draper.....