Are fruits bad for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• setaseba
    setaseba Posts: 11
    Options
    only if you fall face down in them

berries like blueberries, acai and others fruits like pineapple, apples, oranges & bananas are excellent sources of fibre & nutrients that you need to stay healthy while you lose weight. Pineapple for example is one of the few sources of bromine and apples contain pectin which helps to avoid accumulation of excess cholesterol. If you've ever had gallstones you'll know why this is important (some studies have suggested that repeated rapid weight-loss can contribute to the formation of gallstones and they ain't fun)

just remember to only eat 2 or 3 portions a day and try to maximize your intake of veggies. You'll be fine :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No.

HEY!

Uh oh.

YES!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It is kind of rude to say they're "bad" for losing weight., just because society says fruits should be plump. They can lose weight if they want to, just like anyone else.

STAHP THE FRUIT SHAMING.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    its pretty much a known fact that fruits could kill you.

Example: Try to swallow a whole banana without gagging....

also: create a GIF of the above activity
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Depends, are they chocolate covered fruits?
    Mmmmmm....
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ill get flamed but yes. They are high in sugar. stick to 2 pieces per day and eat veggies instead.

Not all fruit is high in sugar. Google "low-glycemic fruit". Even diabetics are allowed to have certain fruits.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat atleast 3 fruits a day.This is provided i dont eat other added sugars a lot.I lose weight just fine.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to enjoy your fruit and/or orange juice guilt free and ignore any posts that state otherwise.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I just read about a legitimate scientific study that showed bananas are less filling than some common junk foods. That's the extent of my scientific knowledge, lol! And I will still eat my bananas, because I like them!

At the end of the day, fruit's better than junk food, even if it is high in sugar. As long as you are eating a well-balanced meal and aren't finding yourself starving between meals because your food isn't filling you up, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Really? Hmm interesting! I LOVE my nanerz and they are always my go to when I am hungry!! I feel full enough from them at least. Science... shmeh! :P
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Are fruits bad for losing weight?

If you have then in your pockets when you weigh-in they are.

You sir win a gold sticker.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was told that foods high in sugar go through you fast, leaving you hungry faster than low sugar foods. So, should I stay away from fruits? If so, what foods other than fruits have high protein and high fiber and low sugar?

Beans, are the closest fit to your description. High fiber, good source of protein (it varies by bean, and not as high as meat, but still pretty good), low sugar, low calorie.

Nuts would also fit, but since they also contain a lot of healthy fat, they are much higher calorie.

BUT, no fruit is not bad for losing weight. True, they are not the most filling food, but that still doesn't make them bad. It just means you need other foods as well. Fruits are a great source of nutrients.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Not much protein so try to eat some protein with your fruit. Almonds, cheese, or maybe some sliced turkey.
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You'll get mixed answers, but personally, I eat loads of fruit and I'm happy with my progress.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Oh yes.. extremely bad for you.. why don't you give me all your fruit.. i'll take it off your hands..

I eat tons of it. LOL. I'm losing weight and I've never felt better.

Eat fruit, eat veggies. theya re yummy and on so good for you

otherwise i'll take em..

mmm pineapple
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think this varies by person. I will never enter into a debate BUT from personal experience, when I eliminated fruit from my otherwise healthy diet, the weight came off much quicker. I was on the journey with 2 friends that kept fruit in their diets and they lost without a problem. I was initially in tears because I was doing all the working out (more than my friends), eating healthy, etc. and it wasn't happening as quickly as I thought it should be. As soon as my personal trainer suggested I eliminate the fruit, it was magic.

Fruits are of course good for us...I take a multivitamin, eat tons of veggies (non strachy), and lean meats...again I believe all of us are unique and what works for one may or may not work for the next person.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Oh yes.. extremely bad for you.. why don't you give me all your fruit.. i'll take it off your hands..

I eat tons of it. LOL. I'm losing weight and I've never felt better.

Eat fruit, eat veggies. they are yummy and oh so good for you

otherwise i'll take em..

mmm pineapple
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Can't eat fruit because of the sugar. Can't eat meat because I'm killing the animals and the human body can't digest it. Can't eat wheat and grains and veggies because cavemen didn't. Can't eat Pop Tarts because they're made of Windex and beaver secretions. Can't eat the McRib because it's made of a yoga mat. Can't drink water because of water intoxication and hyponatremia. Can't eat white food because of the starch. Can't eat gluten because it's gluten. Can't drink diet sodas because rats died in California. Can't eat Twinkies because Hostess shut down. Can't drink coffee because it's a diuretic. Can't microwave food because of Death Star planet destroying Death Rays. Can't eat peanut butter because someone at work or school or the passerby on the street might have some nut allergy.

This weight loss thing is gonna be a piece of cake!! Wait...can't have cake..nevermind.

keep-calm-and-kill-me-now-4_zpsf62082fb.png
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I praise fruit.. they are way better choices than junk.. and at least the sugar is natural. There's no way fruit can harm you.. unless that's all you eat. Anything is bad in excess.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been eating plenty of fruit lately (mostly bananas) and the weight's coming off nicely. I used to believe fruit (especially bananas) was a weight loss killer. But duh, it was all the empty calorie crap I was overdosing on that was really bad for my weight loss.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    s
    Fruits have sugar, in small quantities they're okay, but you shouldn't binge on them. You also should not drink fruit juice while on a diet. It's pure sugar. The fact that it's fructose and not sucrose is not significant when consumed in that amount.

For more information, read theeatingacademy.com blog. I think this is covered in the Sugar 101 post.

How about some unbiased peer reviewed studies as opposed to a blog? You know....so we can pass on actual factual information.

Why don't you read the blog? It's written by a Stanford M. D. who analyzes studies and explains how to evaluate them in great detail. Many studies, even if they exist, aren't free to the layperson. This author is very straightforward about what is and is not available in the literature and he states when he's making an educated guess.

Only on myfitnesspal would someone complain about being referred to a qualified source.