Small meal ideas please!

Options
Hey everyone!
I'm trying to eat more small meals throughout the day and I'm looking for yummy ideas for small healthy meals. It would be extra helpful if they were more vegtable based as I am really bad at eating my veggies. Also, I need minmal carbs and fat. (Don't worry I have a healthy mix of that, but I'm looking for other ideas because I don't know how to make these kinds of meals.)

Just to throw this out there, I don't like hummus or carrots (I've tried, over and over, I can't do it):tongue:

Thanks for the help!
I really appreciate it.

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    no joke, I was going to suggest a hummus wrap LOL And thats all I can think of...
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Do you like lettuce? I could eat salad all the time. You can change up the toppings to make many different versions. There are some really healthy dressing too - I sometimes just like lemon juice.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    well there is some awesome and very low in calorie fajita meat that you can buy from walmart...what i do is microwave just a little, throw it in a low calorie tortilla and some lettuce, tomatoes and works beautifullly.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    no joke, I was going to suggest a hummus wrap LOL And thats all I can think of...

lol, sorry - I know it's a really easy one and normally I am not picky at all I just don't like them. And I'm one of those people who will try anything 3 or 4 times...
  • tkcasta
    Options

lol, sorry - I know it's a really easy one and normally I am not picky at all I just don't like them. And I'm one of those people who will try anything 3 or 4 times...
  • tkcasta
    Options
    I feel like it's so hard! I have a few meals that I really like and I eat quite often but man, when I get bored that's when I screw up.
  • kpaulsen
    kpaulsen Posts: 25
    Options
    Sliced or diced cucumbers mixed with sliced/diced tomatoes - Add some reduced-fat feta cheese crumbles, S&P and a splash of red wine vinegar and shake it all about. It's a delicious side with a lean meat.
    Approx. 100 calories, 4 g fat

or

Baby Sandwiches

3 slices Pepperidge Farm Very Thin Whole Wheat Breads - 120 cal
    2 wedges reduced fat Laughing Cow cheese of choice - 70
    Pump spray fat-free italian dressing - 1 calorie per pump
    2 oz. low-fat turkey breast - 65 cal

I make three mini, open-faced sandwiches with the cheese as the spread, the salad to give it a little zing! and its less than 300 calories for lunch. Hope this helps!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash! Cool texture, it's like you're eating pasta but it's all veggie goodness! You can have like 2 cups of it and some marinara sauce for like 100-ish calories.

I made dinner last night out of this, a mahi mahi steak and a little parm cheese for 399 calories and I was STUFFED. Great weapon for days when you're running low in your calorie bank by dinner ;)
  • CeliaMoreno
    Options
    Tuna with some lemon juice. Chop a roma tomato, some onion, jalapeno and cucumber. Mix it up and top it on a low fat cracker. Its delicious and nutricious. You can skip the jalapeno if you don't like the heat. Or another option could be a more mild pepper.
  • tkcasta
    Options
    Ooh nice ideas! I'm going to put those in my recipe box (aka my recipe folder on my computer)
  • krex
    krex Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks so much for the idea for a new low calorie lunch! I was bored too!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    zucchini, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks are my favorites. there's also the small babybell cheeses, apples, an orange and grissini breadsticks. mix and match with fish, shrimp or chicken or lean beef. do you like salads? mixed greens, radishes, baby cukes and a hardboiled egg with lemon juice are one example.
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    sometimes I'll have one eggo whole wheat waffle, with sugar free syrup - a treat and it is different for a snack
  • tkcasta
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash! Cool texture, it's like you're eating pasta but it's all veggie goodness! You can have like 2 cups of it and some marinara sauce for like 100-ish calories.

I made dinner last night out of this, a mahi mahi steak and a little parm cheese for 399 calories and I was STUFFED. Great weapon for days when you're running low in your calorie bank by dinner ;)

Where can I get this? Would they have it somewhere like whole foods?
  • jeniam
    jeniam Posts: 13
    Options
    Veggie wraps or pitas are a big part of my diet especially since I only eat meat once or twice a week. They are easy to make, easy to change, and very yummy! For breakfast i'll fry eggwhites for my protein and stir in some tomatoes and mushrooms or salsa (or even better, chopp up some avocado and add that!) and eat it on a pita. Lunch can be sauteed veggies or raw veggies on a wrap. I just add a very small portion of low fat salad dressing to give it some flavor. And having more than one flavor or dressing helps add variety so I'm not eating the same thing each day. i use avocado's a lot (very high in fat but super good for you!) and I love adding different things to them on a pita.

I am experimenting with a pita to serve to a vegan friend of mine after church this Sunday. Spring mix and spinach base with portabello mushroom and kalamata olives (going to try it raw and sauteed together to see which is better) with avocado and sprouts. I've picked up a Herb of Providence dressing just incase those flavors end up being boring together. Thinking fresh tomatoes on the side (not sure if tomotoes would be a good addition to the mix but we'll see).

I just really love experimenting. Throwing things together to see what I like. i've come up with some doozies, but also a few pretty darn good meals, too!

Sauteed or steamed veggies over rice or couscous or quinoa is very tasty and filling. Add sweet red peppers to your mix. They are very tasty, sweet and refreshing.

Well.... there's my rambling, opinion filled ideas for you. Good luck coming up with something easy that you enjoy!
  • tkcasta
    Options
    Wow, so many great ideas!

I do like salad for those of you who asked - I'm just relatively lazy about making my food for the day, something I'm forever working on.

I'm really excited about all of these ideas! Thanks so much this is great! I hope other people are getting as much from this as I am!

:flowerforyou: I love MFP peeps!
  • Clew
    Options
    I just get it at the grocery store. It's a bright yellow, smooth skinned oval squash. When raw it's a solid consistency but when you cook it the flesh separates into strands. An average sized one will feed you for several meals :) They usually have a sticker on them w/ cooking directions but it's easy - cut in half and scoop the seeds out - put 1/4 c water in it and nuke for 7-10 minutes until the flesh strands apart with a fork. Hope you like it!
  • Clew
    Options
    (I have some in the fridge here for lunch today - now after talking about it I'm all excited to go eat it! LOL)
  • emmylou13
    emmylou13 Posts: 46
    Options
    I love to make grilled or baked stuffed peppers - cook some brown rice, mix in some peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, lots of spices. Cut the top off a large green, red, orange or yellow pepper, clean out and then fill with the spicy rice veggie mix... wrap in some foil and then grill! You can add some hamburger, turkey burger, or chicken if you want to add some protein! Hope this helps... super yummy, easy and a great way to get lots of veggies in...!
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I makle these meals and keep a 1/2 cup of them in glass containers and eat them throughout the day to keep me full and happy.

Chicken & Sun-Dried Tomato Orzo
    Servings: 4 servings
    Prep: 30 mins
    Total: 30 mins

Ingredients
    8 ounces orzo, preferably whole-wheat
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed), divided
    1 plum tomato, diced
    1 clove garlic, peeled
    3 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram, divided
    1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (1-1 1/4 pounds)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
    1/2 cup finely shredded Romano cheese, divided

Directions
    1. Cook orzo in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
    2. Meanwhile, place 1 cup water, 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, plum tomato, garlic, 2 teaspoons marjoram, vinegar and 2 teaspoons oil in a blender. Blend until just a few chunks remain.
    3. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning, until golden outside and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
    4. Pour the tomato sauce into the pan and bring to a boil. Measure out 1/2 cup sauce to a small bowl. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes to the pan along with the orzo, artichoke hearts and 6 tablespoons cheese. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide among 4 plates.
    5. Slice the chicken. Top each portion of pasta with sliced chicken, 2 tablespoons of the reserved tomato sauce and a sprinkling of the remaining cheese and marjoram.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 457, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 68 mg, Sodium 372 mg, Carbohydrate 54 g, Fiber 10 g, Protein 36 g, Potassium 546 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 15%, Iron 25%. Exchanges: Starch 3,Vegetable 1,Lean Meat 3,Fat 0.5.
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Thai Chicken Pizza
    Servings: 6 servings
    Prep: 35 mins
    Total: 35 mins

Ingredients
    20 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough, (see Shopping Tip)
    1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
    3 tablespoons water
    2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon canola oil
    8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    4 scallions, thinly sliced
    2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions
    1. Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
    2. Roll out or stretch dough on a lightly floured surface into a rough 16-inch oval. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake on the bottom rack until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, whisk peanut butter, water, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and garlic in a small bowl until well combined.
    4. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, scallions and 1 tablespoon of the peanut sauce to the chicken; toss to combine.
    5. Remove the crust from the oven; spread evenly with the remaining peanut sauce. Top with the chicken mixture, then sprinkle with cheese. Return the pizza to the oven and bake on the bottom rack until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 11 to 13 minutes.

Tip:
    Shopping Tip: Look for balls of whole-wheat pizza dough, fresh or frozen, at your supermarket. Choose a brand without hydrogenated oils.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 355, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 29 mg, Sodium 447 mg, Carbohydrate 42 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 20 g, Potassium 151 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 45%. Exchanges: Starch 3,High-Fat Meat 2.

Chicken Tacos with Charred Tomatoes
    Servings: 2 servings
    Rated : Not yet rated

Ingredients
    2 plum tomatoes, cored
    8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    2 teaspoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 scallions, chopped
    6 small corn tortillas, heated (see Tip)

Directions
    1. Heat a medium skillet over high heat until very hot. Add tomatoes and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until charred on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise; squeeze to discard seeds. Remove cores and chop the remaining pulp and skin.
    2. Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and heat over high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
    3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lime juice, the chicken and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and scallions. Divide the chicken mixture among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.

Tip:
    Tip: Wrap tortillas in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 297, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 63 mg, Sodium 415 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 27 g, Potassium 463 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 30%. Exchanges: Starch 2,Lean Meat 3,Fat 1.

Oven-Fried Chicken
    Prep: 20 mins
    Total: 1 hr 35 mins

Ingredients
    1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon hot sauce
    2 1/2-3 pounds whole chicken legs, skin removed, trimmed and cut into thighs and drumsticks
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    Olive oil cooking spray

Directions
    1. Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
    2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.
    3. Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on the prepared rack. (Discard any leftover flour mixture and marinade.) Spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray.
    4. Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes.

Tips:
    Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make "sour milk": mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.

MAKE AHEAD TIP: Marinate the chicken for up to 8 hours.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 226, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 130 mg, Sodium 258 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 34 g, Potassium 400 mg. Exchanges: Starch 0.33,Lean Meat 4,Fat 1.5

Coconut-Lime Chicken & Snow Peas

Ingredients
    1 cup "lite" coconut milk , (see Tips for Two)
    1/4 cup lime juice
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces chicken tenders
    4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
    1 cup shredded red cabbage
    1 cup sliced snow peas
    3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons minced red onion

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F . 2 . Whisk coconut milk, lime juice, sugar and salt in an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Transfer 1/4 cup of the dressing to a large bowl; set aside. Place chicken in the baking dish; bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, add lettuce, cabbage, snow peas, cilantro and onion to the large bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Divide between 2 plates.
    3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and thinly slice. Arrange the chicken slices on top of the salads. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the coconut cooking liquid over each of the salads.

Tips:
    Tips for Two: Refrigerate leftover coconut milk for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Use to make extra Coconut-Lime Dressing; drizzle on sliced fresh fruit; use as some of the liquid for cooking rice; make a Pineapple-Coconut Frappe.

MAKE AHEAD TIP: The dressing (Step 2) will keep for up to 2 days.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 186, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 67 mg, Sodium 191 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 29 g, Potassium 473 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 140%, Vitamin C 120%, Iron 15%. Exchanges: Vegetable 2,Lean Meat 4.

Grilled Chicken Ratatouille
    Prep: 45 mins
    Total: 45 mins

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1 chopped fresh marjoram
    1 teaspoon salt
    Canola or olive oil cooking spray
    1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise, stemmed and seeded
    1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
    1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
    4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
    1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and tenders removed (see Note)
    1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar

Directions
    1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
    2. Combine oil, basil, marjoram and salt in a small bowl and reserve 1 tablespoon of the mixture in another small bowl; set aside.
    3. Coat both sides of bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, tomato and onion pieces with cooking spray. Grill the vegetables, turning once, until soft and charred in spots, about 5 minutes per side for the pepper, 4 minutes per side for the eggplant and zucchini and 3 minutes per side for the tomatoes and onion. As the vegetables finish cooking, place them in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
    4. Rub the tablespoon of reserved herb mixture on both sides of chicken and sprinkle with pepper. Grill the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
    5. Meanwhile, transfer the grilled vegetables to a cutting board and chop into 1-inch pieces. Return to the bowl and toss with vinegar and the remaining herb mixture. Serve the grilled chicken with the ratatouille.

Tip:
    Note: It's difficult to find an individual chicken breast small enough for one portion. Removing the thin strip of meat from the underside of a 5-ounce breast--the "tender"--removes about 1 ounce of meat and yields a perfect 4-ounce portion. Wrap and freeze the tenders and when you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry or for oven-baked chicken fingers

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 324, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 82 mg, Sodium 687 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 36 g, Potassium 1063 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 100%. Exchanges: Vegetable 3,Lean Meat 4,Fat 2.

Maple-Glazed Chicken Breasts
    Here's an easy main dish that's sure to set you on your own quest for the best syrup. Start the chicken breasts marinating on a Saturday afternoon for a quick meal later in the day, just about the time you come in from raking the last of the winter leaves off the garden.
    Prep: 20 mins
    Total: 2 hrs 20 mins

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 8 ounces), trimmed and tenders removed (see Tip)

Directions
    1. Whisk syrup, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and pepper in a small, shallow dish. Add chicken and turn to coat with the marinade; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning once.
    2. Coat an indoor grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees F, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
    3. Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until reduced by about half, about 4 minutes. Liberally baste the chicken with the reduced sauce and serve.

Tip:
    Wrap and freeze the chicken tenders. When you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry--they are the perfect size.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 186, Total Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 66 mg, Sodium 343 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Protein 27 g, Potassium 361 mg. Exchanges: Other Carbohydrate 1,Lean Meat 4.

Tarragon Chicken

Ingredients
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
    1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
    3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil, divided
    1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
    1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon

Directions
    1. Season chicken on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
    2. Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add shallots; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and wine and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
    3. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Stir mustard, sour cream and tarragon into sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon over the chicken.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 199, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 316 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Protein 24 g, Potassium 262 mg. Exchanges: Lean Meat 3,Fat 2

Chicken, Charred Tomato & Broccoli Salad
    Servings: 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each
    Prep: 40 mins
    Total: 1 hr

Ingredients
    1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, or 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (skip Step 1)
    4 cups broccoli florets
    1 1/2 pounds medium tomatoes
    2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions
    1. Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred with two forks into bite-size pieces.
    2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add broccoli and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
    3. Meanwhile, core tomatoes and cut in half crosswise. Gently squeeze out seeds and discard. Set the tomatoes cut-side down on paper towels to drain for about 5 minutes.
    4. Place a large heavy skillet, such as cast-iron, over high heat until very hot. Brush the cut sides of the tomatoes with 1 teaspoon oil and place cut-side down in the pan. Cook until charred and beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Brush the tops lightly with another 1 teaspoon oil, turn and cook until the skin is charred, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate to cool. Do not clean the pan.
    5. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Stir in salt, pepper and chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Slowly pour in lemon juice (it may splatter), then remove the pan from the heat. Stir to scrape up any browned bits.
    6. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and combine them in a large bowl with the shredded chicken, broccoli and the pan dressing; toss to coat.

Tip:
    MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Add more lemon and salt, if needed, just before serving.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 231, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Sodium 460 mg, Carbohydrate 8 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 24 g, Potassium 619 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 110%. Exchanges: Vegetable 1.5,Lean Meat 3,Fat 2.

Indian-Spiced Chicken Pitas
    Total: 30 mins

Ingredients
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts , trimmed
    1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, (see Tip), divided
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1 cup thinly sliced seeded cucumber
    3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or mint
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
    1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
    2 small or 1 large tomato, sliced
    1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion

Directions
    1. Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler. If grilling, oil the grill rack (see Tip). If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
    2. Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place the chicken on the grill rack or prepared pan and cook until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165 degrees F, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, cilantro (or mint), lemon juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and fill with the chicken, yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion.

Tips:
    Tips: Garam masala is a blend of spices used in Indian cooking. It is available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
    To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
    MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 2. Refrigerate the chicken in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 333, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 64 mg, Sodium 637 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 32 g, Potassium 485 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 35%, Iron 20%. Exchanges: Starch 3,Vegetable 1,Lean Meat 3.

Beer-Barbecued Chicken
    Prep: 15 mins
    Total: 1 hr 45 mins

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon smoked paprika, (see Shopping Tip)
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Shopping Tip)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 4-pound chicken
    1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably pale ale or American lager, divided

Directions
    1. Preheat a gas grill (with all burners lit) to 400 degrees F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400 degrees F).
    2. Combine paprika, oregano, salt, brown sugar, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle chile and pepper in a small bowl.
    3. Remove giblets from chicken (if included) and trim any excess skin. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat. Rub the spice mixture under the skin onto the breast meat and leg meat, a little on the skin and inside the cavity. Tuck wings under the body and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
    4. If using a gas grill, turn off one burner (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). If using a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side. Wearing an oven mitt, carefully place a drip pan under the grill rack on the unheated side. Place the chicken breast-side down on the rack over the pan. Pour half the beer into the cavity (it's OK if some drips out into the drip pan).
    5. Close the lid and roast undisturbed for 45 minutes.
    6. Turn the chicken breast-side up. Pour the remaining beer into the cavity. Cover and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165 degrees F, 30 to 45 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes before removing the string and carving.

Tips:
    Shopping tip: Smoked paprika and ground chipotle chile can be found in the spice section of well-stocked supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
    MAKE AHEAD TIP: Equipment: Kitchen string, metal or foil drip pan

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 173, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 76 mg, Sodium 656 mg, Carbohydrate 2 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 25 g, Potassium 250 mg. Daily Values: Iron 15%. Exchanges: Lean Meat 3.5

Lemon Chicken Stir-Fry
    Servings: 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
    Prep: 40 mins
    Total: 40 mins

Ingredients
    1 lemon
    1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    10 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
    1 cup diagonally sliced carrots, (1/4 inch thick)
    2 cups snow peas, (6 ounces), stems and strings removed
    1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, white and green parts divided
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic

Directions
    1. Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest and set aside. Juice the lemon and whisk 3 tablespoons of the juice with broth, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs. Add mushrooms and carrots to the pan and cook until the carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add snow peas, scallion whites, garlic and the reserved lemon zest. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Whisk the broth mixture and add to the pan; cook, stirring, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallion greens and the chicken and any accumulated juices; cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 225, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 63 mg, Sodium 448 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 27 g, Potassium 796 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 110%, Vitamin C 60%, Iron 15%. Exchanges: Vegetable 2,Lean Meat 3,Fat 1.

Buffalo Chicken Wrap

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
    3 tablespoons white vinegar, divided
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound chicken tenders
    2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
    1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
    4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
    1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 large tomato, diced

Directions
    1. Whisk hot pepper sauce, 2 tablespoons vinegar and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl.
    2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders; cook until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add to the bowl with the hot sauce; toss to coat well.
    3. Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small bowl. Stir in blue cheese.
    4. To assemble wraps: Lay a tortilla on a work surface or plate. Spread with 1 tablespoon blue cheese sauce and top with one-fourth of the chicken, lettuce, celery and tomato. Drizzle with some of the hot sauce remaining in the bowl and roll into a wrap sandwich. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 275, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 756 mg, Carbohydrate 29 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 24 g, Potassium 266 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 20%. Exchanges: Starch 1.5,Vegetable 1,Lean Meat 3,Fat 0.5.

Five-Spice Chicken & Orange Salad

Ingredients
    6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
    3 oranges
    12 cups mixed Asian or salad greens
    1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
    1/2 cup slivered red onion
    3 tablespoons cider vinegar

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine 1 teaspoon oil, five-spice powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture into both sides of the chicken breasts.
    2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts; cook until browned on one side, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until the chicken is just cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 165 degrees F), 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let rest for 5 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, peel and segment two of the oranges (see Tip), collecting segments and any juice in a large bowl. (Discard membranes, pith and skin.) Add the greens, bell pepper and onion to the bowl. Zest and juice the remaining orange. Place the zest and juice in a small bowl; whisk in vinegar, mustard, the remaining 4 teaspoons oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad; toss to combine. Slice the chicken and serve on the salad.

Tips:
    Note: Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.

MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 2. Store the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Slice and serve chilled.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 278, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 63 mg, Sodium 491 mg, Carbohydrate 23 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 26 g, Potassium 450 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 140%, Vitamin C 170%, Iron 15%. Exchanges: Fruit 1, Vegetable 1.5, Lean Meat 3, Fat 1.5.

Chicken Potpie
    Prep: 15 mins
    Total: 1 hr 5 mins

Ingredients
    Filling
    3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
    1 cup peeled baby carrots
    10 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
    2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken, or turkey
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Biscuit topping
    3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
    1 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
    1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions
    1. To prepare filling: Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned and their liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Return the onions and carrots to the pan. Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Mix cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup broth; add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in chicken (or turkey), peas, sour cream, salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 2-quart baking dish.
    2. To prepare biscuit topping & bake potpie: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and thyme in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or 2 knives, cut butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Add buttermilk and oil; stir until just combined. Drop the dough onto the filling in 6 even portions. Set the baking dish on a baking sheet.
    3. Bake the potpie until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
    Tips:
    Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.

Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make "sour milk": mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 403, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 64 mg, Sodium 667 mg, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 29 g, Potassium 427 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 70%. Exchanges: Starch 2,Vegetable 1,Lean Meat 3.

Pineapple-Teriyaki Chicken
    Total: 45 mins
    · Rate and Comment

Ingredients
    1/3 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
    1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 20-ounce can pineapple rings, plus 1/3 cup juice from the can
    4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed (see Tip)
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon butter
    Directions
    1. Whisk sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar and the 1/3 cup pineapple juice in a large bowl. Add pineapple rings and chicken and gently stir to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.
    3. Remove the chicken and pineapple from the marinade and pat dry; reserve the marinade. Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken and pineapple until the chicken is cooked through and the pineapple is marked, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
    4. Whisk the reserved marinade and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, whisking, until reduced and thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in butter. Serve the chicken and pineapple drizzled with the sauce.
    Tips:
    Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the "cooking sherry" sold in many supermarkets - it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
    Tip: You'll need about 1 1/2 pounds untrimmed boneless, skinless chicken thighs to serve four people. For recipes that call for one large thigh per person, buy them at the butcher counter; prepackaged thighs vary dramatically in size. Ask for four 6-ounce boneless, skinless thighs. To trim them well, we like to use kitchen shears to snip the fat away from the meat. After trimming, you'll have four 4-ounce portions.
    Tip: To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories 360, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 83 mg, Sodium 467 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 22 g, Potassium 238 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin C 30%. Exchanges: Fruit 2.5, Lean Meat 3, Fat 0.5.