Please Help! I'm not losing any weight or inches!

Options
I've now been trying to lose weight for 5 months. I've cut out all fast food, pop, sugary drinks, and empty calories. I watch my calories, carbs, sodium, fiber and protein. I'm trying to eat clean foods on a regular basis. I drink 64oz+ of water a day. I am eating about 1300 calories a day.

I work out 5 days a week, burning at least 450 calories a day, and sometimes as much as 700 - 1000 calories a day. With many weeks passing where I don't lose anything or I'll even gain a pound. Over the past 5 months I have only lost 10lbs. And over the past three weeks I have gained one pound. I am determined to lose this weight. But I am so confused as to why I'm not losing anything!

Please Help Me!!!

I'm really starting to lose hope and I really want to give up!

Replies

• psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    You're EATING or NETTING 1300 calories? You need to NET at LEAST 1300 calories or you risk metabolic slowdown. And depending on your stats, you may even need to net more than 1300. You need to read this thread if you haven't already http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    We need to see your food diary to confirm, but the most likely explanation is that you are not eating enough calories. Are you eating back your exercise calories?

What is your height, current weight, and goal weight?
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Definitely, if you are netting 1300 that's good, but if you are eating 1300 but burning 1000, you need to eat more! Your body isn't getting enough calories to keep it going!
  • fitnessfirework
    Options
    I'm eating 1300 calories. My doctor told me I needed to lower my calories to 1300 and increase my activity. He said I need to burn more calories than I eat.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories you are burning?
  • kcampogni
    Options
    I know this might sound weird, but have you had your thyroid checked? My sister-in-law was in the same boat and she has a slow/no working thyroid and once she figured that out she started losing weight (not dramatic or anything but she did). I know it can be frustrating, I'm in the same boat.. I just get stuck. You can also try changing your work out routines. I run 4 days a week but sometimes I'll switch my cardio with a kickboxing video or Tae Bo. Just kinda helps jump start.
  • fitnessfirework
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I weigh 236lbs. My goal weight is 160lbs. I just recently had my thyroid checked and it was negative.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1300 calories. My doctor told me I needed to lower my calories to 1300 and increase my activity. He said I need to burn more calories than I eat.

Your doctor is wrong. How can you live on no calories for your body to survive and perform daily functions?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

This is often misunderstood. He meant that you need to burn more calories than you *need* which is your TDEE.

It is certain that you are not eating enough. When you do not eat enough calories, your body is under a huge amount of stress, which causes you to retain weight. Depending on your height and weight, you could probably eat 1700 NET and lose weight.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Get your RMR tested. Everyone will blanketly say your not eating enough but truly the only way to know is to have it tested.
    I was maintaining at 1200 cals, my RMR is 873 much lower than most.
    Also I agree with one poster you would need to make your diary public sometimes its something little your eating/drinking thats putting you in the red. Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Yes, but you burn a lot of calories just by existing. Breathing burns calories, pumping blood burns calories. Thinking actually burns a lot of calories!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Your doctor told you to NET under 1,000 calories a day?? Time to find a new doc.

I usually aim to NET around 12-1400 calories a day. Now, I ran a 15k on Sun and burned almost 1000 calories. Do you honestly believe if I at 1400 calories and Burned 1000 my body would be able to function properly AND let me lose weight? Not likely.

Do yourself a favor and research doctors in your area the focus on helping people lose weight and get fit. They'll run all the right tests, if necessary.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    I just ran your numbers and I was correct. You should be eating 1786 NET calories to lose weight. Your TDEE (number of calories to maintain current weight) is 2200. If you cut way more than that as you have been doing, you will put too much strain on your body which is why you have not been losing weight.

Start slowly upping your calories by 100 per week and then sit at 1700-1800 calories NET for about a month.

ETA: you can do the calculations yourself here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • fitnessfirework
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help. I would never have thought that I'm not eating enough. :smile:
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    1300 might be too few, also are you eating back your exercise calories? check your BMR and your TDEE try eating around 20% below your TDEE but netting above your BMR. I find it really helpful to switch the goals on here to that (so I'm at 1600) and then eat back my exercise calories, and also change the goals to be 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein, which is lower carbs and fat then it has set automatically and higher protein. Also make sure you're logging accurately, real portion size, try and find the exact brands or input things yourself so you know it's accurate, and also if you don't have a HRM i would get one, but if you can't then I would say look up a bunch of different ways and sites that calculate calories burned and do an average, because a lot of machines and MFP overestimate calories burned usually. When you are working out, use the HR paddles to check your heart rate and really try to stay up there, I aim for 150s and 160's all the way up to 180 and my resting heart rate is in the 50's so I really try and get my heart rate up there. Also if you don't already i would suggest lifting, I use New Rules of Lifting for Women, it's great, you could get a trainer, or lots of other lifting programs.
    i can't see your diary but if you want to friend me or let me see it I can help you more.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help. I would never have thought that I'm not eating enough. :smile:

No problem!! You will be so much happier eating more, too!

Just increase the calories slowly so your hormones can adjust and you don't feel like you are stuffing yourself.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you are overestimating the number of calories you are burning.
  • fitnessfirework
    Options
    you are overestimating the number of calories you are burning.

I use a heart rate monitor to track my calories.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Honestly you need to look at what you are eating. There are a few days where you just did "quick add calories" so your macros are not accurate.

You have a decent amount of bread carbs in there with the rolls and cheese -- try taking those out.
    Also after dinner you are snacking on candy like M&Ms - you'd be amazed how quickly those calories creep up on you with junk food.

Your diary is empty for like 2 weeks as well.

I would re-evaluate what you are eating
  • miame22
    miame22 Posts: 16
    Options
    Ok so I was in the same boat as you. Aiming for 12 to 1200 calories a day and then 3 days a week working out burning what MFP called an 850 cal work out. I lost nothing and felt terrible. Turns out I have a really low RMR so the TDEE calculators don't work for me.
    I jumped to 1500 calories on non work out days and 17 to 1800 on work out days. I also uped my protein from about 40 to 50 grams per day to 90 (rest day) to 120 (work out day).
    I also eat clean 85% (this way I avoid binging).
    Good luck!