husband won't eat healthy

Options
My husband and I both vowed at the beginning of the year to be more healthy. I took it a lot more serious than him. He will go to the gym with my every once in a while, but that's about the extent of it. I am not only trying to be more active but also be a lot more healthy in the kitchen.

I am alright with having steamed broccoli instead of fries, but him on the other hand wants nothing to do with it. So whenever I make a veggie for myself, I have to make him something for dinner also to make him happy usually fries or something equally as tempting for me to snag some off of his plate. I obviously could work on the will-power, but any other advice?

Replies

• Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If he doesnt want vegetables, get him to make his own fries. Atleast then its not extra work for you
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think he should either eat what you cook for him or make his own food.
  • WannaBeFitJean
    WannaBeFitJean Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! so ^ Bump
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Such a simple solution! I've never even thought of that. I'm sure he will be thrilled haha.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If he doesnt want vegetables, get him to make his own fries. Atleast then its not extra work for you

this...If i make a meal and he doesn't like it he can make his own...same goes for me when he is cooking
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You said yourself that you are more committed than he is.

I think that's your answer. He's a grown up and you're a grown up. Make your choices.

It's not that hard.
  • WannaBeFitJean
    WannaBeFitJean Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My husband would be like what???
    Considering he works 3 jobs and makes the $$$ I always make sure his dinner is hot and ready... Maybe explain to him how important this is to you... and to please give it a try .... IF not .. Stay strong... I have done ok so far...
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I assume you're dating a 12 year-old boy, and that's why you're cooking his dinner. In which case, fries are microwaveable, and even an adolescent can push a power button.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Tell him to eat what you cook or make his own food. That is what I do.

Maybe try and turn some of his favorites into something healthier. Like instead of fries make sweet potato fries/wedges.

You can't change his mind, he has to do that on his own.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    The ex and I had an agreement, to cook and eat healthy. What ever was made by which one of us was dinner. If ya didn't want it then PB and J's are made over there, lol.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Mine's coming around because I don't say anything anymore...i just serve it. He did mention the other day "I'm noticing I have more energy" Lol

He still gets to keep his pringles though...I have no interest those
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking and eating healthier, husband isn't on bored. He buys and prepares his own food, or he does take out. We both work 45 hours a week, so I'm not cooking 2 meals every day. I prepare most my meals in crockpot over night, and take to work for 2 -3 days. When I have to I always have healthier frozen meals to fall back on, abou 2 nights a week, but mostly I eat my left overs till gone.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    You're the boss in the kitchen, so he eats what you cook or he cooks his own crap food. Marriage, yay!
  • HollyTsab
    HollyTsab Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mine took awhile too. He had no problem supporting me and helping me out but when it came to his choices he was hard to win over. Now he is a bit better about it. For some reason the guy who never ate sweets was all of a sudden buying the candy by the registers. I mean, really dude? He finally realized that he wasn't eating enough during the day and he'd binge at night. He was in a 30 day nutrition challenge group that opened his eyes. He's even been asking me to join another one.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    If you are the one who cooks and he doesn't want to eat what you cook than he can go make his own food.

I only make my husband something different if I am making me something I know he hates.... like a few days ago, I had sushi, he hates sushi so I made him a pizza.

Your husband clearly doesn't want to eat healthy or change his habits right now.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Just because I make a decision to eat differently doesn't mean everyone else who eats my cooking has to as well. I tend to make meals that I know everyone will like. If I want a side that someone doesn't like, I'll make another side in addition that I know they like.

Also, there are ways to make low-cal/healthy dinner options yummy and appealing to everyone. You just have to find them. Talk about what you both like and use ingredients that will make the dinner fit better into your day.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

this...If i make a meal and he doesn't like it he can make his own...same goes for me when he is cooking

This. If I were willing to eat spinach, eggs and morning star sausage every morning, he would make breakfast for me. Since I prefer my eggs scrambled with different veggies, and even then won't eat them every morning, I make my own breakfast. He gets to make suggestions for dinner only in so far as he requests a certain dish or prefers different veggies. And he knows darn well that if he were to hate everything, he would be getting his own dinners.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You should sleep around.

That'll teach him not to eat the broccoli.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Agree - whomever is cooking is king. If you don't like it, cook! But really, we've come up with lots of tasty, healthy meals the whole family loves.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both vowed at the beginning of the year to be more healthy. I took it a lot more serious than him. He will go to the gym with my every once in a while, but that's about the extent of it. I am not only trying to be more active but also be a lot more healthy in the kitchen.

I am alright with having steamed broccoli instead of fries, but him on the other hand wants nothing to do with it. So whenever I make a veggie for myself, I have to make him something for dinner also to make him happy usually fries or something equally as tempting for me to snag some off of his plate. I obviously could work on the will-power, but any other advice?

There's a lot of middle ground between steamed broccoli and fries! My husband started at the "fries, fries and only fries" point and now will happily eat whole plates of vegetables.

How did I get from one extreme to the other?

I started small. First white potatoes with oil spray and spices roasted in the oven instead of fries, then sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, then sweet potatoes and butternut squash, then adding peppers, carrots, courgettes and onions.

I added plenty of flavourful spices and went easy on the salt.

I got him hooked on chilli. Seriously, he'll now eat ANYTHING if there's chilli on it.