put eggs in just enough water to cover.
    bring to soft boil
    boil eggs for 10 minutes remove from heat
    but eggs in cold water immediatly will help with making pealing easier
    turns out perfect everytime for me
  • aprilsirota
    aprilsirota Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Put Your eggs in cold water. Bring to boil. Once the water is at a rolling boil remove from heat and cover for 25 mins. Set a timer you don't want to leave in much longer your yolk will turn grey. Drain your water and run cold water over your eggs till cool. Perfect eggs every time!
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I probably over-cook them, but this is the way my mom taught me: Put the eggs in a pot of cold tap water, and put a small dash of salt in the water. Bring the pot to a rolling boil, then turn down the heat to a mild boil. Set timer for 45 minutes. When done, put the eggs in ice water and let them sit for about 2 hours before moving them to the fridge. Between the salt and the cooling in ice water, these two things make them easier to peel. The yolks are hard and the egg whites are delicious!
  • MJackson54
    Options
    It's rare that I eat eggs. But this is the best way I have found to make them hard boiled! Place 6 eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with COLD water. Bring to a gentle boil, uncovered over a medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat. cover and let stand 15 minutes. Drain off the hot water, then fill the pan with ice water. Let stand until the eggs are cool to the touch. Drain off the water, then gently roll each egg on the countertop to evenly crack the shell. Carefully peel, working under slow running tap water if the shell is sticking. There it is. Good luck!
  • fredigail
    fredigail Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For 1-4 eggs cooked at a time: place eggs in water deep enough to cover them completely (in a pan big enough to keep them from boiling over). Bring eggs to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to barely simmering. Simmer for 15 minutes. Emmerse cooked eggs in cold water and keep cold water running over them while you peel. (This keeps the outside of the yolk from turning gray-green.) Crack shell all over. Roll gently between palms until shell loosens completely. Gently remove shell (with inner skin) from egg. Voilla! For 6-8 eggs, add 5 minutes simmering time.
  • ninifire
    ninifire Posts: 21
    Options
    I just get the heat turned on the pot, put salt, let it boil, drop my eggs in and time it for 20 minutes. I then turn the heat off, let it sit for a minute and then throw them in a bowl with ice. (cold water on the shell makes it easy to crack the shell, or just to get it cool enough to put in the fridge)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I had egg boiling issues for years until I read and tried many different ways and this one hasn't failed me yet in 6 years

large pot - 20 eggs (give or take)
    place eggs in pot, add cold water roughly 1/4 inch past eggs
    Turn burners on high (Gas for me)
    Set timer for 25 minutes
    Time up, set pot in sink with cold water and ice for no less than 10 minues which helps to separate the clear skin from the egg when peeling
    Perfect eggs every time

**If you are using an electric range, turn it on and let it heat up before setting the pot on it and setting your timer.
    ***If I do less eggs (lets say 1 doz) I will cut the cook time by about 5 minutes.
  • LisaDec1969
    LisaDec1969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bake them in the oven @ 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes (I baking mine for 30 minutes). The egg has more flavor, the yoke isn't dry, and it's easier to peel.

I do this too 30 mins I roll them after the first 15 when they are done I soak them in an ice bath for 10 then peel ! Perfection
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Eggs takes a lot of practice to get it perfect! So don't get worried if it doesn't come out perfect the first time. I finally have mastered making scrambled and hard boiled eggs. Now I must learn how to make omlette's. You'd think for such a simple dish it would be easy but nupe! Haha good luck mastering eggs!

For omelettes, get the pan very hot first, and make sure it's got PAM or some type of non-stick spray. Mix the eggs first as you would scrambled, and a little baking powder added helps with fluffiness. Pour the eggs into the pan making sure they spread across the whole pan (if using a small one), and don't do anything for at least a minute or two. As the edges cook, you can pull them in slightly with the spatula and tip the pan so the remaining liquid part fills in the ends where you just moved the egg edges. Wait until the egg blob is solid enough to flip without competely falling apart, and flip once. Get the cheese and other ingredients on there immediately so there's time for the cheese to melt, the other side of the omelette won't take long at all. Fold it over and there ya have it, perfect omelette! (If you add cooked meats, it helps to heat them up ahead of time).

For the OP, I add cold water to the eggs, stove set to high and once it boils, I time it about 5 minutes or so. I turn off the heat, pour out the hot water and add cold water, then repeat a couple of times. If I want them right away, I stick the pan full of water in the freezer for a few minutes to get the eggs cool enough to handle. I like what some of the posters said about leaving them on the stove for awhile after the heat's turned off, gonna try that too.
  • nakfam
    nakfam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Old Betty Crocker directions --- put the eggs in the water while cold... put on high heat and bring the water to a boil... turn off heat, cover and let sit for 15 solid minutes. They're perfect every time!
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I tried what some of the other posters said about boiling for very little time (few minutes at most) and then turned off heat and let them sit in the hot water for about 10 minutes. I needed to peel them for dinner so I put them in cold water and in the freezer for a few minutes, they came out perfect! I also rolled the egg on the counter a little to crack the shell all over, and the skin and shell came off effortlessly. The yolks were bright yellow, cooked all the way through without any gray hue and they weren't dried out.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just did this, and it worked: yellow yolks, easy to peel, no green! I followed instructions in a book called "CookWise" that my mom gave me, all about the science of cooking. I've only done it once so far.

Place eggs (not too fresh) in sauce pan, add 1TBSP of salt (she says this will prevent whites leaking out if egg cracks, but I forgot to do it) and cover with cold water by about 1 1/2 inches.
    Bring to rolling boil.
    Boil for 30 seconds.
    Remove from heat and set timer to 15 minutes.
    Immediately run cold water over eggs, cracking shells for easier peeling.
    Then peel!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Bake them in the oven @ 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes (I baking mine for 30 minutes). The egg has more flavor, the yoke isn't dry, and it's easier to peel.

and no smell!! I do this all the time!